Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom vs Ducks Unlimited

tag
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom vs Ducks Unlimited

So I have the Chase Freedom which has gas at 5% right now in UR points. I also have the Ducks Unlimited which has 5% on gas at all times. Which do you guys consider better for gas?
TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom vs Ducks Unlimited

DucksSmiley Happy Its not ChaseSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@zerofire wrote:
So I have the Chase Freedom which has gas at 5% right now in UR points. I also have the Ducks Unlimited which has 5% on gas at all times. Which do you guys consider better for gas?

Well, if those are the only choices, and just considering for gas, unless you have a very high valuation for UR, 4 quarters at 5% is going to be better than 1 or 2 and the rest at 2% (assuming OP has some sort of 2% including gas card)

The value of Freedom comes if the 5UR in other categories is useful, and how much you value URs.

Message 3 of 18
xaximus
Valued Contributor

It depends on how much your expense is for gas. For example - I spend about 150-200 a month in gas. Factoring in a 5% CB - $7.50 to $10 every month. With the rotating categories, I split the gas purchases across different cards. With the Ducks UL card, it's one dedicated card through out the year. Also, keep in mind the UR points valuation is different then straight CB. Also, Freedom categories are quarterly, so you might have gas one quarter and something else for the next. I would estimate how much you spend on gas to see if the Ducks UL card is worth it. For me, it wasn't simply because I have 3 of the 4 quarters covered for gas and the 1 that isn't, I have a 3% Gas CB from BoA. The 2% different isn't worth for me to app for another card.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 18
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Both cards can be difficult to  acquire: Chase has their 5/24 rule and FNBO (which issues the Ducks Unlimited card) is extraordinarily sensitive to inquiries.

That said, if you drive a lot and need 5% off on gas year-round, then the Ducks card probably wins!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe Chase Freedom is better. No APR for 15 months, that makes quite difference more than rewards at times (Depends on your expenses). If you spend $1k in a year, you are going to have more than $21.6 minimum profit with Chase in first 15 months. It should be equal to $432 worth gas with Ducks Unlimited. Besides $150 bonus is not bad. When you calculate other rewards and APR. I believe Chase Freedom is going to be winner side. The only downside of Chase Freedom is quarter bonuses though.

Edit: Oops. Somehow I thought you got Chase recently. Sorry!

Edit 2: I Googled this issue. It seems Chase can be good if you have APR lower than 20%. Actually both cards have same stats. Source: https://creditcards.center/ducks-unlimited-vs-chase-freedom-gas-purchase-comparison/

Message 6 of 18
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I'd personally use Chase Freedom for the 5% quarter, and the Ducks card for the others to maximize.  However, this is because I value UR at more than .01 a point (and combine points with CSR).  If you just use Chase for cash back only, then maybe stick to Ducks so you do less card juggling.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I have decided to use the Chase Freedom for gas. My idea is that the Ducks Unlimited will be there when the 5% category expires. Meanwhile at worst case I will be getting the same 0.01 per UR as the 0.01 per point between the cards. Maybe I will eventually figure out how UR's work and end up getting more than 0.01 per UR but for now I use the cash value as the base.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit 2: I Googled this issue. It seems Chase can be good if you have APR lower than 20%. Actually both cards have same stats. Source: https://creditcards.center/ducks-unlimited-vs-chase-freedom-gas-purchase-comparison/

The analysis in the link is very, um, strange!   They start off by saying that the Chase Freedom gives 1.5% on gas outside of the 5% quarters.  So on $2400 annual spend, they calculate 2 quarters at 5% (so 5% on 1200= $60) + 2 quarters at 1.5% (so 1.5% on 1200 = $18) for a total of $78.

AFAIK, freedom is only 1%, so this should be $72.   Not huge, but makes you wonder about the accuracy!

The whole APR discussion assumes some pattern of paying that isn't explained.   And of course neglects that URs can be more valuable than the cashback value if the user has some transfer card.

Message 9 of 18
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

For the Ducks Unlimited, is there a threshold to cash out or do you have to redeem it? Or is it automatically goes as statement credit every month? Thanks!
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.