Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Higher CL Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Higher CL Advice

I've been reading about combining CL from one Chase card to another. I was recently approved for Chase FU for 2K but I want a higher CL and I'm pretty sure I'm past the 5/24 rule. So my question is can I apply for one of their co-branded cards (hotel or Amazon?) and then transfer the limit from that card to FU card and close it right away? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Higher CL Advice

Yes you can, but I've heard that they do a review of your CR when you combine limits so be cautious
Message 2 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

Yes, if the card falls outside of 5/24 rule but I would wait until you have 6 months with the FU. Chase will probably have no problem giving you 5k+ cards then. You wouldn't want a $500 or 1k approval on a second card when you can garden the FU for 6 months and get a nice limit. 

I started with a $500 Amazon, gardened 6 months, then was approved for two 5k cards back to back. A year later they gave me a 14k SL on another.

I would just chill until they see I am someone who will handle their product responsibly. Then I would app for the travel card, get the bonus and close it in a year or two and move the limit (unless the card works for me).

I don't mind a lower limit daily driver anyway. Keeps it paid, lol.  GL whatever you decide.   :]  

btw... gardening works.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You make some excellent points elim. Thank you. Two things that make me hesitant are getting approved for low amount and the inquiries hindering CLIs for my other cards. All of the cards showing in my signature are all within the last 7 months. Even though I have no lates or any collection/PR, I have a very short AAoA. Of all the cards I have so far, I wanted to make Chase FU my primary but I think I will heed your advice and hit the garden :-)

Message 4 of 7
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You make some excellent points elim. Thank you. Two things that make me hesitant are getting approved for low amount and the inquiries hindering CLIs for my other cards. All of the cards showing in my signature are all within the last 7 months. Even though I have no lates or any collection/PR, I have a very short AAoA. Of all the cards I have so far, I wanted to make Chase FU my primary but I think I will heed your advice and hit the garden :-)

Great decision. If all your cards are < 7 months then you are done for now. Plant your seedling and stay involved in the forums for 6 full months. Grab any free CLI's you can along the way.

Your goals may change through the journey but stay focused on them. Are you looking for great scores? thick file? huge CL's? tons of travel points?  All have somewhat different approaches.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great decision. If all your cards are < 7 months then you are done for now. Plant your seedling and stay involved in the forums for 6 full months. Grab any free CLI's you can along the way.

Your goals may change through the journey but stay focused on them. Are you looking for great scores? thick file? huge CL's? tons of travel points?  All have somewhat different approaches.

All of the above? lol Short term, I want to have couple of cards with higher limits, in case of emergencies. And I do want to eventually get a travel card to rack up some miles. Long term, I want the score in the "excellent" category. It'd be nice to get an APR in the lower half of the spectrum for once lol.

Message 6 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All of the above? lol Short term, I want to have couple of cards with higher limits, in case of emergencies. And I do want to eventually get a travel card to rack up some miles. Long term, I want the score in the "excellent" category. It'd be nice to get an APR in the lower half of the spectrum for once lol.

You have a travel card to rack up miles: The Chase Freedom Unlimited. Just don't redeem the UR points you earn, and wait to app the CSP or CSR later. The UR points will contribute to whatever bonus is avaiable on CSP or CSR later, and the redemption rate or transfer opportunity will improve on the CFU points.

Use the $2k limit on the CFU and pay frequently.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.