Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Hyatt Visa - Changes

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Chase Hyatt Visa - Changes

@Open123 wrote:

I suspect given the CSP's value, there's bound to be some cannibalization from their Hyatt cards.  

This is essentially what is happening. I've been frequenting a few forums for Hyatts lately and the general consensus is that the Hyatt card is used for nothing more than just booking the Hyatt. And most of this is from travellers who do so at least once a month, and definitely those who are Diamond status, but other than that, it seems the general consensus is that the card has no other purpose.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 11 of 51
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I suspect given the CSP's value, there's bound to be some cannibalization from their Hyatt cards.  

This is essentially what is happening. I've been frequenting a few forums for Hyatts lately and the general consensus is that the Hyatt card is used for nothing more than just booking the Hyatt. And most of this is from travellers who do so at least once a month, and definitely those who are Diamond status, but other than that, it seems the general consensus is that the card has no other purpose.

Well, I think the chip and no FTF makes it good when I am outside the US. If they gave me restaurants at a premium I would use it when it was best for that (when it is not 5% on Discover or on Freedom).

If they want us to use it for everyday type spending, they need to juice it up a bit. They gave me a nice CL though, probably trying to get me to spend on it. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 12 of 51
Open123
Super Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

Well, I think the chip and no FTF makes it good when I am outside the US. If they gave me restaurants at a premium I would use it when it was best for that (when it is not 5% on Discover or on Freedom).

If they want us to use it for everyday type spending, they need to juice it up a bit. They gave me a nice CL though, probably trying to get me to spend on it. Smiley Happy

As it stands currently, there really isn't a compelling reason to opt for the Hyatt card over the CSP.  For the fee, the CSP is probably the single best value travel card today.

It's become the only Visa I use, aside from the gas/groceries category.

Message 13 of 51
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

As it stands currently, there really isn't a compelling reason to opt for the Hyatt card over the CSP.  For the fee, the CSP is probably the single best value travel card today.

The reason to app the Hyatt card is the free nights. 2 free nights at ANY Hyatt (up to an $1800+ value), and then a free night every year at a catagory 1 through 4 hotel. Covers the AF nicely, so the card is in essence free every year. I will add CSP at some point in the future for the multiplier.

Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 14 of 51
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

+1. This is the major problem with the card.

While it's a good card in that it's a "keeper", it's simply not a "go-to" card like the CSP or Amex SPG/PRG. They really need to increase the benefits if they want to increase its popularity. Added bonuses or points would be the best option because it appeals to a wider audience.

High-end perks like diamond status is nice for a few, but not many people would be actively hunting that down for 50k annual spend. People need a reason to push through tons of money on the card, and currently there isn't any.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 51
FrugalRican
Blogger

I think it's a testament to Chase's overall selection when it comes to cards.
The fact that a decent card like the Hyatt VISA is looking to improve to compete with its own brand of Chase cards, says a lot about the Freedom/CSP cards.

I might be applying for the CSP in the future as well... and possibly bear witness to how a Freedom/CSP/Hyatt combo leaves everything else I own, gathering dust... yes, even my BCE.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 16 of 51
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

The fact that a decent card like the Hyatt VISA is looking to improve to compete with its own brand of Chase cards, says a lot about the Freedom/CSP cards.

I might be applying for the CSP in the future as well... and possibly bear witness to how a Freedom/CSP/Hyatt combo leaves everything else I own, gathering dust... yes, even my BCE.

Nothing I have seen available matches BCP. 6% on groceries and 3% on gas and Dept stores with no cap an all the time. No one else is giving 6%. (that I know of, anyway)

Message 17 of 51
FrugalRican
Blogger

Good point, guess I never gave BCP much thought since I already have the BCE.

Message 18 of 51
Open123
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Nothing I have seen available matches BCP. 6% on groceries and 3% on gas and Dept stores with no cap an all the time. No one else is giving 6%. (that I know of, anyway)

Very salient point.

However, in my estimation, while the BCP's 6% on supermarkets is certainly without peer, the category itself has limited value, in that it's self limiting.  What I mean is there's a finite amount one can spend in supermarkets.  I'd imagine, even for those with large families only spend at most $2k per month at a supermarket?  I can't see anyone spending more than $20k per year in the 6% category.

Of course, it makes sense to partition all grocery spending in this 6%, but it's the non grocery/gas types of spending that's the most valuable for rewards cards, if only because the non gas/grocery spending isn't self limiting and can reach any amount.  Gas/Grocery cards have no cap because the issuers realize they're self limiting. Unless you run a a business, how much personal gas and groceries can you buy per year?

While the travel, entertainment, and restaurant and other types of spending can be almost any amount ordinarily far greater than one would spend on gas or groceries combined. This is where I think the CSP/Amex no cap rewards (or, very high special category caps) cards truly shine.

Message 19 of 51
Open123
Super Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Good point, guess I never gave BCP much thought since I already have the BCE.

Likewise, unless meeting spend requirements, the BCE is my designated supermarket card.  Since it's no fee, I use it for only the 3%, and nothing else.

When venturing to the grocers, I never leave home without it.

Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.