cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card?

So I just read about the Chase IHG Rewards Club MC for the first time, and it sounds terrific... But it doesn't seem to have much of a reputation at all on myFICO...

It seems like an IHG version of the Chase Marriott (although IHG has a lower AF), with the free annual night. Its reward structure in particular is similiar (5x points at IHG properties, including Holiday Inn, 2x in other categories, etc.) It also has a 10% points redemption rebate.

Is there a reason this card is never mentioned on myFICO? I'm not sure how much IHG reward points are worth, but I would think the card would be worth it just for the free annual stay with only a $49 annual fee....

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card?

60,000 pts sign up bonus, too.  I wonder the valuation on those points.  Hotel Indigo, Holiday Inn...hmmm.  Not bad at all.  I've heard some chatter about this card on other sites.  Is a world mastercard a $5,000 minimum card or could it have a lower credit limit?

Message 2 of 44
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I have honestly never heard of this card before until a couple of people brought it up in a few recent threads. 

Maybe it's sort of like with the AARP card and how underrated that card is too for various reasons. The card has a lot of benefits and stuff but gets overshadowed by the the UR points that the Freedom and CSP have to offer and how those can be transferred. Chase Marriott Premier is a card I've seen talked about a lot on this site and how that card offers a free night at hotels annually.

I like the sign up offer on the IHG BTW. Lower AF than the Marriott, relatively similar spending requirement for the bonus, though it's obviously not gonna come in metal.

I checked Credit Pulls Database and found only five entries of people applying for the card with FICOs in the upper 600s and 700s.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 44
happypill
Valued Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

I have honestly never heard of this card before until a couple of people brought it up in a few recent threads. 

Maybe it's sort of like with the AARP card and how underrated that card is too for various reasons. The card has a lot of benefits and stuff but gets overshadowed by the the UR points that the Freedom and CSP have to offer and how those can be transferred. Chase Marriott Premier is a card I've seen talked about a lot on this site and how that card offers a free night at hotels annually.

I like the sign up offer on the IHG BTW. Lower AF than the Marriott, relatively similar spending requirement for the bonus, though it's obviously not gonna come in metal.

I checked Credit Pulls Database and found only five entries of people applying for the card with FICOs in the upper 600s and 700s.

I think you hit on the reason...lol!

Actually, I'd guess there are a few reasons why it iesn't talked about much.  First, for non-frequent travelers, the IHG branding of the rewards program probably doesn't ring a bell for many people. Not like the Hilton Card, Marriott Card, Hyatt Card or Ritz Card.  If you say IHG, I bet a lot of folks need to go look up which hotels that actually includes.

A second reason would be that among folks most likely to be interested in hotel affinity cards, Holiday Inn & Crown Plaza are not that popular.  Consultant friends who are on the road all the time seem to like Starwood & Hyatt the best, with some preferring Marriott & Hilton.  My company usually goes with Hilton or Marriott if available, but I only travel 1-2 times a month on average so I don't have a major preference.  I've never hard a road warrior gushing about Holiday Inn or even Crown Plaza, and while Intercontinental is very nice, I think their footprint is much more limited.

Now, for casual travelers, this looks like a great deal.  1 free night should easily cover the annual fee.

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no affiliation with the bloggers who pimps cards like starwood, Hyatt, etc...

This card is the Sallie Mae of hotel rewards card. Sallie mae is another card that does not have affiliation link. Hmmmm, see a pattern.

With point break, a 80,000 sign up bonus will get you 16 nights. Point break allows you to book a room for 5k. Points are easy to accumulate, unlike starwood and not devalued, like Hilton.

You can transfer point to lots of airlines, 22, with 5:1 ratio. IHG has 100% points sale during the year. MS is possible with point and cash.
Message 5 of 44
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

best thing about the card is for the low annual fee you get one free night a year at any one of their hotels -- their Intercontinental Brands hotels could easly cost $400+ a night.

Message 6 of 44
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

i have this card......got a great CL 12K.  I use it for Holiday Inn Express which are popular in some areas I travel; it allows for free upgrades when available even though it may not be much, but a bigger room with a fridge and microwave is nice, staff seems to treat you better when using the card.  The annual free stay more than pays for the annual fee as far as I'm concerned.  It's not metal but a nice looking card.   I have the Marriot Premier card also and I personally don't see much difference.  Recently, got a 0% BT offer from IHG and used it for some remodeling costs I had on my Lowes card.  

It is an underrated card like the AARP card,  but as some have said not very popular.  I used the AARP card last night at Outback and got a 15% discount at the restaurant plus 3% cashback coming from Chase.  Outback is suppose to give the 15% discount Monday thru Thurs but I get it everytime at a local Outback.  I hope the IHG and AARP cards don't go away and I don't think AARP will but IHG could if more people don't start using it.  

Message 7 of 44
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've been contemplating this card just for the free annual night (I plan on just stockpiling hotel cards that have annual free nights, lol) I've read mixed reviews of the actual ihg rewards club membership though.
Message 8 of 44
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Although the annual fee is pretty appealing, the signup bonus is basically worthless to me and so is the card. A stay at the Intercontinental is 50k points, so the sign up bonus is basically only for one stay. I honestly wouldn't want to stay anywhere other than the Intercontinental if i had this card. I'd look to get a Hyatt card though...From what i read IHG status is just as worthless as the points too.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 9 of 44
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

Me and my wife both have this card.  The best feature is the 1 free award night per year at any property in the portfolio.  We just had a free night at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins in San Francisco, new years eve, value of $530 a night for free. 

Whether you redeem it for a $80 a night hotel or a $1000 a night hotel, its worth the $49 fee. 

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.