cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Chase IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card?

Isn't ihg also acquiring kimpton?
Message 11 of 44
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Although the annual fee is pretty appealing, the signup bonus is basically worthless to me and so is the card. A stay at the Intercontinental is 50k points, so the sign up bonus is basically only for one stay. I honestly wouldn't want to stay anywhere other than the Intercontinental if i had this card. I'd look to get a Hyatt card though...From what i read IHG status is just as worthless as though points too.

So how much was the Intercontinental you were looking at.......how many nights can you stay at the Hyatt for with 50K points?  The free night is just that a free night!

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm glad the consensus is that it's a great card. It's just a wonder that it isn't talked about more... I might have to consider this to my wish list in addition to my Chase Marriott.

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically a way to purchase one free night per year for $50. A great deal if you use it. 

I wouldn't actually put any charges at non-IHG properties on this. It just isn't worth it. 

Someone mentioned Points Break. Points Break (5k points/night) is very cool but for me it is very unlikely that it will actually work out. This is a great deal only if you can book at an Intercontinental, and usually the only ones available are overseas. 

I think this card is second to the US Bank Carlson for best hotel credit card. The Carlson is great for redeeming in Europe only though, while with this you can redeem for nice properties in the US as well. However the Carlson actually has a very solid earning potential on non-category spend so you can use it on day to day expenses, and it also gives a free night for every award night you book. The downside is... US Bank. 

Message 14 of 44
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Although the annual fee is pretty appealing, the signup bonus is basically worthless to me and so is the card. A stay at the Intercontinental is 50k points, so the sign up bonus is basically only for one stay. I honestly wouldn't want to stay anywhere other than the Intercontinental if i had this card. I'd look to get a Hyatt card though...From what i read IHG status is just as worthless as though points too.

So how much was the Intercontinental you were looking at.......how many nights can you stay at the Hyatt for with 50K points?  The free night is just that a free night!

Intercontinental San Juan will run you about $250 or 50k points per night. Lets say i'm playing on staying for 7 nights, that'll run me about $1750 excluding tax or 350k POINTS...I didnt take the free night into consideration here. I guess you can get good value out of the 70K IHG points if you stay at Comfort Inns and such.

Now lets talk about Hyatt. Hyatt House San Juan will run you about $150 per night or 8K points.  Hyatt is a better value because even the better ones will cost you only 35k points. Also, you get TWO free nights after spending 1k within 3 months plus a free stay at a Cat 1-4 Hyatt annually.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 15 of 44
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I see your point.......Hyatt points must be extremely valuable.....better than Marriott's too

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife has this card. Definitely underrated, and it is in fact a WMC and thus min SL is $5,000.

We got the 80K/$1,000 offer.
Message 17 of 44
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wife has this card. Definitely underrated, and it is in fact a WMC and thus min SL is $5,000.

Where did you find that offer?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where they talk about flying.
Message 19 of 44
gmason
Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Where did you find that offer?

Google: ihg 80k offer

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.