cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ink: When Should I Reapply?

tag
SaulGoodman

Chase Ink: When Should I Reapply?

I currently have a credit score near 800 and basically every credit card I want (Starwood Amex, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom). But I still want the Chase Ink Classic. I applied a couple of months ago and was denied. I called the backdoor and the rep said that my accounts with Chase were too new - I had opened my Sapphire Preferred only a month and change prior. Since then (about three months) I have opened the Freedom (which I had to call to get approved). I've had the Amexs for significantly longer.

My question is, when will I be ready to reapply for the Ink? It's clearly not a credit score thing, but I'm not sure what it takes to get an Ink.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

Re: Chase Ink: When Should I Reapply?

@SaulGoodman wrote:

I currently have a credit score near 800 and basically every credit card I want (Starwood Amex, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Freedom). But I still want the Chase Ink Classic. I applied a couple of months ago and was denied. I called the backdoor and the rep said that my accounts with Chase were too new - I had opened my Sapphire Preferred only a month and change prior. Since then (about three months) I have opened the Freedom (which I had to call to get approved). I've had the Amexs for significantly longer.

My question is, when will I be ready to reapply for the Ink? It's clearly not a credit score thing, but I'm not sure what it takes to get an Ink.

Chase wants to see internal history with their personal cards before approving ANY of the Ink cards (this seems to be the norm, but as always YMMV).  I would play it cool and use and pay on your other Chase accounts for a solid year; then try again.  Like Citi and Amex, they have their own unique game one has to learn to play.

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 2 of 5
SaulGoodman

Thanks, baronofthenorth. That would seem to makes sense. Quick question. I applied for, and only want, the Ink Classic. I since I have a SP, the notion of paying an unnecessary yearly fee seems unappealing (classic points are just as valuable as bold with the SP account). However, I was thinking that it might actually be easier to get a Bold card because it's a charge card. Can anyone speak to whether this is in fact the case? Would it make more sense to apply for the Bold down the road and then switch to Classic after a year?

Message 3 of 5
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I am not sure if you can switch since as you said, they are different kinds of cards. I got the Ink Classic after having personal Chase accounts for six or seven months. I was denied initially since I just started the business in June, but a second analyst was able to approve me. You could always try again and maybe someone else will be able to approve it.

I recommend asking them if you can product change from the Ink Bold to the Ink Classic. If they say yes I see no harm in getting it, especially if you can meet the 10000 spend requirement.

Message 4 of 5
swpopham
Established Contributor

You can not pc business cards. I had to open the ink plus then i closed our bold. Also the requirements are the same for any of the ink family. They are great cards to have for sure if you can prove actual business
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.