Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Instant Approved... Citi Recon DECLINED

tag
StarTraveller19
Valued Member

Chase Instant Approved... Citi Recon DECLINED

Hello Everyone,

So, I brought down balances on my current credit cards and received a couple nice CLI's.  My overall UTL is still a bit high (about 40%) and should bring that down further in the next couple of months.  I also have 4 inq on my CR's which will fall off early next year and one paid State tax lien that I am still working on getting removed since it was an amendment of my 2010 tax filing and I didnt get the notices about additonal tax owed as I had moved since then.  I have no other negative info on my cr.

I was pre-approved for a Citi Simplicity card and decided to pull the trigger and apply for the card.  I got 7-10 day message.  I called backdoor number and was told that I wasnt approved due to the Tax Lien on my credit profile.  I explained the issue that I had moved and didnt recieve any of the notices that my tax was amended for 2010 and owed aditional tax.  I found out about the lien by seeing it reported through my CR and paid it off as soon as I found out about it.  The analyst sent it to credit dept for addtional review and provided more details on the paid tax lien but after waiting a week for the recon, I was still declined.  This resulted in a second pull on my CR.  

Naturally, I was disappointed but I decided to try for Chase Freedom anyway and I was instantly approved for $4500.  I am excited that I was approved for this card and with my highest CL at that.  

Now my question is, should I push for another reconsideration for my Citi app.  The Citi rep said to work on getting the paid lien/judgement removed and try again.  I dont mind waiting since I was approved for Chase but since they already pulled my credit twice, I was thinking of writing a letter and to try with recon again.  Do you think it's worth a try or would that result in more pulls hurting my credit score even more and still be declined?  I heard writing to EO gives better results.  Any advice is appreciated.

Current CC's credit limit/balances are:

West Elm $4000 / $1700

CapOne QuickSilver $3500 / $2700

Barclay Apple $3300 / $1200

CapOne Journey $2500 / $390

Ann Taylor $1070 / $0

J Crew $700 / $0

Victoria Secret $700 / $0

Brylane Home $700 / $0

Starting Score: 545 Current Score: 701 Goal Score: 750+

BOA Signature $25K | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Citi Prestige $11k | Ritz Carlton $20K | Chase Sapphire Pref $7K | Advantage Aviator $14.4K | Citi Advantage Gold $9.3K | CapitalOne QuickSilver $7K | Barclay Apple $6.3K | CapitalOne Journey $3K | West Elm $4K | Ann Taylor $3.3K | J Crew $6.3K | Victoria's Secret $2.9K | Crate And Barrel $20K

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Instant Approved... Citi Recon DECLINED

Especially since you took two HP from Citi, EO might not be a bad route. You might as well give it a shot a this point! If it still doesn't work, get your utilization down, garden for 6 months and you'll be golden!
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 2 of 3
StarTraveller19
Valued Member

Re: Chase Instant Approved... Citi Recon DECLINED

Thanks for the advice.  I think I will try sending a letter to EO.

Starting Score: 545 Current Score: 701 Goal Score: 750+

BOA Signature $25K | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Citi Prestige $11k | Ritz Carlton $20K | Chase Sapphire Pref $7K | Advantage Aviator $14.4K | Citi Advantage Gold $9.3K | CapitalOne QuickSilver $7K | Barclay Apple $6.3K | CapitalOne Journey $3K | West Elm $4K | Ann Taylor $3.3K | J Crew $6.3K | Victoria's Secret $2.9K | Crate And Barrel $20K

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.