Did you mean: 

Chase JOINT users

tag
KTR1215
Established Member

Re: Chase JOINT users

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

You are ONLY considered a JONIT when you as well provide your ssn, annual income just like a normal app but now considering it 2 people applying which makes your chances of being appoved even greater.(if credit is in good standig also annual incomes basically combine) I ve never heard of some one being added as a JOINT once a acct has been established. HMMM anybody have any experience as to this??

As I stated, I was added as joint cardmember after the account had been established. I did have to provide typical application data, but no hard inquiry was reported to anmy of the 3 CRA's

So can a person being ADDED as a joint user be declined? Has anyone seen this happen before? (thinking if no HP then the answer would be no but I just want to be sure.)

Starting: 503 EQ FICO (1/2013-Pre Foreclosure)
Current Score: 583 (2/18/2013)
Goal Score: 700 (12/2014)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 22
KTR1215
Established Member

But what im saying is that he is saying that his sister wants to add him to her ALEADY ESTABLISHED FREEDOM CARD as a JOINT, As to what I heard you and can only ADD AU to an exsisting acct but not as joint....

I can be added as a JOINT. My sister actually called Chase and they advised her of this. They have also sent her the form. We haven't filled it out and sent it back yet because we wanna make sure of the original question I asked.

Message 12 of 22
hardworkrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@KTR1215 wrote:

@hardworkrebuilding wrote:

You are ONLY considered a JONIT when you as well provide your ssn, annual income just like a normal app but now considering it 2 people applying which makes your chances of being appoved even greater.(if credit is in good standig also annual incomes basically combine) I ve never heard of some one being added as a JOINT once a acct has been established. HMMM anybody have any experience as to this??

As I stated, I was added as joint cardmember after the account had been established. I did have to provide typical application data, but no hard inquiry was reported to anmy of the 3 CRA's

So can a person being ADDED as a joint user be declined? Has anyone seen this happen before? (thinking if no HP then the answer would be no but I just want to be sure.)

I don't know.  My thoughts are:

1) if you are successfully added as joint it will do far more to assist your credit situation than an AU

2) if Chase declines to add you as a joint cardmember, they will most likely still add you as an AU

FICO 750+ on each CRA - 6 cards for a total CL of $222,900
Gardening since 9/11/2016 for a goal of 2 years
Message 13 of 22
KTR1215
Established Member

Thanks hardworkrebuilding! That makes perfect since! And since there is no HP I guess it doesn't hurt to try the joint first and if the declined settle for the AU.

Message 14 of 22
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Just FYI, Chase does report AU members. I was an AU on my mothers card, it was a much higher limit than I had at the time but with well over 50% util I took a huge hit on my reports (well, in addition to the brand new account, the 3rd new one in 6 months), I got removed and they removed the account from my CR pretty quickly.

And I live in CA and she lives in NY.

And...I'm a little late, lol.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 15 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

1. Chase DOES report AU

2. Chase can send you a form for the current cardholder to sign that they would like to add a "JOINT" Cardholder to the current card, NO INQ will be taken and the NEW person will be added as a joint with all the info you provide on the paper with the original cardholder signing.  Very few banks these days especially online allow you to apply from very beginning as a joint cardholder and in fact if someone is wanting to be joint because of fixing/boosting their credit to better places it's better to go in after the account is open.  USBank and Toyota are the only 2 credit cards I can think of right off the bat at the time of the application you can choose joint... edit.. Navy Federal you can also.

3.  If now you are joint and you decide this isn't what I want anymore and you either want to take the acccount over, remove yourself from the account you have to do the process all over and request the form to remove which ever person and both sign, etc. and send back... however this time you both are going to get HP's and if you qualify on your own they will remove the joint and everything stays as is... if you don't qualify, they will look back to other person and decide at that point to leave the account as is "Joint" or they will flat out close it if they don't like what they see on EITHER Joint applicant.

You use to be able to add joint and and then delete one of the people with Citi, with Nordstrom, with Chase (still can but little different now)

I got a joint Citi the day I turned 18, 3 months later I requested to remove the joint and I took it soley (I didn't know much about score or HP's) but it was promtply done.

Citi changed the policy to no joint and or if they still do it they no longer offer to remove one... you both are on or you close account and start over... I assume based on they never use to check credit when adding AND removing!

Same with Norstrom in the past.

Did I cover all the different options?!! I forget what im doing sometimesSmiley Tongue

Message 16 of 22
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Okay... The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:

1. Chase DOES report AU

2. Chase can send you a form for the current cardholder to sign that they would like to add a "JOINT" Cardholder to the current card, NO INQ will be taken and the NEW person will be added as a joint with all the info you provide on the paper with the original cardholder signing.  Very few banks these days especially online allow you to apply from very beginning as a joint cardholder and in fact if someone is wanting to be joint because of fixing/boosting their credit to better places it's better to go in after the account is open.  USBank and Toyota are the only 2 credit cards I can think of right off the bat at the time of the application you can choose joint... edit.. Navy Federal you can also.

3.  If now you are joint and you decide this isn't what I want anymore and you either want to take the acccount over, remove yourself from the account you have to do the process all over and request the form to remove which ever person and both sign, etc. and send back... however this time you both are going to get HP's and if you qualify on your own they will remove the joint and everything stays as is... if you don't qualify, they will look back to other person and decide at that point to leave the account as is "Joint" or they will flat out close it if they don't like what they see on EITHER Joint applicant.

You use to be able to add joint and and then delete one of the people with Citi, with Nordstrom, with Chase (still can but little different now)

I got a joint Citi the day I turned 18, 3 months later I requested to remove the joint and I took it soley (I didn't know much about score or HP's) but it was promtply done.

Citi changed the policy to no joint and or if they still do it they no longer offer to remove one... you both are on or you close account and start over... I assume based on they never use to check credit when adding AND removing!

Same with Norstrom in the past.

Did I cover all the different options?!! I forget what im doing sometimesSmiley Tongue

I've done this several times with Chase both adding AUs and placing my DW as a joint owner and my experience has been exactly as Creditaddict described.

Message 17 of 22
kk627
New Contributor

I'm so confused. We went to Chase last weekend and my husband added me as an AU on his Slate. The Rep said that they will send me the card, along with the form to fill out. They willl then do a soft pull and then add me as a joint user. I'm just wondering, why the soft pull? And I guess each Chase rep says a different thing. I wish they would all get on the same page.

Message 18 of 22
KTR1215
Established Member

@kk627 wrote:

I'm so confused. We went to Chase last weekend and my husband added me as an AU on his Slate. The Rep said that they will send me the card, along with the form to fill out. They willl then do a soft pull and then add me as a joint user. I'm just wondering, why the soft pull? And I guess each Chase rep says a different thing. I wish they would all get on the same page.

That's interesting. Can you keep us updated on if they actually do the soft pull or not? I also wonder what the soft pull is for. Are they checking for something in particular.

Message 19 of 22
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@kk627 wrote:

There's a little confusion in terminology.

An AU (authorized user) involves no credit pull of any kind or form to fill out.  The AU has no liability for the account.

A joint owner, on the other hand, is fully liable for the account and there is a form that needs to be signed and returned to Chase for approval.  There quite likely is a soft pull, but no hard pull. 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.