Did you mean: 

Chase Mariott SUB: Which is better?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Mariott SUB: Which is better?

On the chase website the offer is:
75,000 points after $3k spend. $95 AF

On the Mariott site when you select a booking there’s a link that brings you to another offer:

$200 statement credit after your first purchase. Two free night vouchers for 35k points each. $95 AF but it’s waved after the first year

Which one is more appealing?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Mariott SUB: Which is better?

Personally, I'd go for the one with the two free $35k nights!  That should cover a weekend in the Royal Suite at the Ritz-Carlton Central Park.

Glorious typo aside, if your plan is to use the points for booking Starriott-Carlton rooms, the 2nd offer is substantially better as 5k points are not worth the $295 you'd save immediately.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oops just fixed the typo.

That’s what I’m thinking, the link from the Mariott site looks too good to pass up.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would prefer the first one as it allows you to use the 75k points however you want as opposed to two 35k places.  You might want to get the Amex SPG card instead as if you get that card it still allows you to get the Amex SPG Biz and Amex SPG luxury.  Which both currently have 100k sign up bonueses. If you get this card you won't eligible for the Amex SPG cards. 

Message 4 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would prefer the first one as it allows you to use the 75k points however you want as opposed to two 35k places.  You might want to get the Amex SPG card instead as if you get that card it still allows you to get the Amex SPG Biz and Amex SPG luxury.  Which both currently have 100k sign up bonueses. If you get this card you won't eligible for the Amex SPG cards. 

Timing may also be a factor.

Medium/high-category certificates with a (one year, I'm guessing) limited lifespan might not be ideal if your expected travel for the next year will just be at fairly cheap places.

In 2015 I went for 50k points instead of two nights on my Hyatt card. The difference was more pronouced in that case than here, though.

So it might not matter much, just another factor to consider.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn’t the SPG preferred guest the same as the Chase Mariott? I guess the difference is upgrading to the Luxury but I just noticed the luxury does 3X points on dining and airlines booked directly. I don’t have a problem with the AF but I just paid off medical bills and looking to save rather than spend so the SUB with $5k spend could be a stretch. It’ll have to go on my spreadsheet Monday.
Message 6 of 12
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Personally, I'd go for the one with the two free $35k nights!  That should cover a weekend in the Royal Suite at the Ritz-Carlton Central Park.   

Glorious typo aside, if your plan is to use the points for booking Starriott-Carlton rooms, the 2nd offer is substantially better as 5k points are not worth the $295 you'd save immediately.

Merry Christmas. 

4B05C060-0B82-40C6-92C6-BE808507B274.png

Message 7 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Hehe. All fine and dandy except for the 90 minute train ride(s) into the city. Still, 35k for a RC is great!
Message 8 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

Depends on how you are going to redeem. If you are looking to stay at low level properties then 75k points is better or if you are looking to redeem for one night at a high end property. If you are looking to redeem at properties that cost 30k-35k points per night then the certs are better because you are getting the $200 credit. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Saleen099 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Merry Christmas. 

4B05C060-0B82-40C6-92C6-BE808507B274.png

Yea just so nobody is confused. White plains is not NYC and not really a good place to stay if you want to visit NYC due to distance. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.