Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Marriott Rewards Card/Max Expose - Other Credit Limits

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Marriott Rewards Card/Max Expose - Other Credit Limits

Mopar_Jones wrote:

Why do you act if you gave birth to Chase and must defend them? What is it with some of you people on here that have to get so defensive towards other people's posts and opinions. Do you really not have anything better to do than to argue with people on here about something that doesn't even concern you to begin with?
Yes, I know every card issuer has limits on what they'll approve. However, like I said, I can't stand them. Their lending practices to me seem purely computer and algorithm based and very volatile.
I'm very happy they've never been annoying to you. However, they're very annoying to me. The fact that I used to bank with them and put almost $100k through their accounts a year never mattered to them. I also used to use JP Morgan for my retirement and investment accounts. That also never mattered to them. So why would I trust them with my money if they won't trust me with theirs?
Why would I be annoyed with my credit? I have a jumbo mortgage for $700k, two auto loans, a boat loan and probably 12 credit cards with over $120,000 worth of credit, with maybe less than 10% used. The reason they denied me was because I had too much available credit. Not because of my lack of credit. Yes, they annoy me because they wouldn't approve me. I do after all have a right to be annoyed by that. I have no problem getting approved almost anywhere else.
The material of the card is appealing to me. Since I don't spend $250k a year on a credit card, Chase's cards are unfortunately my only option as far as a metal card. My priorities however are in order, seeing as how I have accomplished everything else in my life and am very comfortable financially, I don't really have much else to worry about other than things such as what material my credit card is made out of. Most people would love to have the simple worries that I do in life.
Between by wife and I, our rental properties and our investments, we bring in just over $320k a year. That being said, yes, her being issued a $9k credit line is a little bit low. We don't typically use a lot of credit cards much, and our limits don't exceed $30k on any one card, but we do have multiple revolving lines of unsecured credit with limits over $100k. The fact that Chase doesn't take all of this into consideration is very annoying. Chase is nothing more than a big box bank and they are doing more harm than good to our country's financial systems. 9 out of 10 people I talk to cannot stand Chase, whether it be because of their lending practices or their banking practices. Some are perfectly happy with them, and that's fine also. However, there will come a day, believe me.
Another reason I can't stand Chase is because prior to the Dept of Education switching their student loan holdings around, Chase held a couple loans for my Master's degree a while back. While I was 'in school' for my DBA later on, the loans were obviously in deferral.. however, they for whatever reason marked off one month that I was late by 30 days. I don't understand how that could be possible while the loans were in deferral. Even after paying off all the loans in full, they still refused to take the mark off and it is still there to this day, regardless of who I've spoken with or what I've sent them to prove it was in deferral. That's also why my credit is lower than it should be.

I honestly don't see how he was being rude to you.
You, on the other hand, are extremely rude towards him. There's really no need to resort to personal attacks.
He was merely explaining why you got declined. He wasn't trying to defend Chase, nor was he trying to be defensive. I understand that some people get mad when they get declined, but you have to look at the reasoning, not the result.

If Chase doesn't want your business, plenty of other banks will. Some people are in your situation as well, but rarely would anyone raging this hard over a rejection. Some people can't get approved by American Express or Citi as well despite getting extremely high limits with other lenders. If it isn't working out, it just isn't working out. Bank somewhere else. It takes two hands to clap. Sorry if I'm sounding offensive, but there's no need to sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend and type a rant essay.

Just because a bank declined / AA you, there's no need to bash them into oblivion either. They may not be right for you and vice versa, but that doesn't mean they're worthless either. There's really no need to turn this into an iPhone vs. Android type of argument. It's a free market. Both you and the bank has the right to choose who to do business with. 

P.S. Just in case you're wondering, my attitude towards Chase is pretty much about the same as every bank. I have been declined numerous times by several banks in the past too, esp. Amex and Citi. You can either just keep trying, like I did, or take your business elsewhere. There's no right or wrong answer.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 21 of 36
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Public service announcement ~ please keep your comments respectful of others.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 22 of 36
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

I didn't see OP's response initially and I thought the poster he addressed was being overly defensive and a little snide as if he/she was personally defending a family member. But of course I see your point to, mainly because it was written well and in a more appropriate tone.

Either way, I'm sitting back with popcorn on this one.

EDIT: this is in response to Enharu.

Will do Pizzadude!! Always, I don't take anything personal. You have no idea what I face on a daily basis and this is refreshing compared to my colleagues at school.

Message 23 of 36
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

He was absolutely rude. He was beyond rude.

He responded to me simply to be rude. I didn't need him to chime in about why I got declined. I'm very aware of why I got declined. I could care less that I got declined. I used to have my mortgage through them years ago, they were horrible with that too. Like I said, I put hundreds of thousands of dollars through their bank accounts for years and they still had the audacity to decline me. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care about their rules or lending practices. When a customer puts a large sum of money through your bank, and you decline them for a credit card, your business practices are off course, your customer service is horrible and I will be annoyed.

He responded to me and told me what my priorities should be, and that I should be annoyed at my own credit. That's not rude? My priorities are none of his business.. nor are they in any way shape or form out of order. The fact that my priorities CAN BE what material my card is made out of is in my eyes and accomplishment. At 30 years of age, I don't have to work. I could simply sit back and live off my savings and my investments. However, I still work. So If I want to worry about what my card is made out of, I will.

Secondly, I am not annoyed at my credit. If I wanted to liquidate every last bit of credit that has already been extended to me into cash, I could live like a king for years. Just in credit cards alone I have more available credit than your average American makes in two years. If you want to include my lines of credit, and any other loans I have, I already have enough for a lifetime. That being said, I am not annoyed at my credit. The only thing I would like to see is CHASE to remove an error that is on my credit report which is causing it to be lower than it should be.

Third, I wasn't personally attacking him, merely asking him a question. He was the one who originally replied to me being rude, and in my opinion, annoying. He didn't add anything to the thread, nor did he help, other than to raise my blood pressure. There was no reason for him to post. Had he read the thread, he would have seen the whole point of my post.

Finally, I am entitled to my opinion about Chase. My opinion is not only derived from whether or not they extend me credit, rather their practices, along with other large banks. They extended me a mortgage years ago. Almost $700,000, obviously paid in full when I did my refi. I put ridiculous amounts of money into their bank and their investment firm. I spent years as a banking customer. Would a small little bank see that and extend me credit? Yes. Would there be discretion? Yes. Does Chase see that, nor do they care? No. They have a strict guideline to go by. There is no discretion. Can the credit analyst even see the dollar amount of money that JP Morgan used to hold for me? Probably not. Don't you think that should be taken into consideration? Previously, I made good on almost a million dollars you lent me AND put in hundreds of thousands of dollars through your institutions... but don't give me credit, give the 18 kid with no income a $500 credit card that has a more probability that he'll overspend with and will default on, because they'll make more money that way by writing off and selling the debt, combined will over limit fees, late fees and ridiculous interest.

When a person pokes the bear, and the bear attacks the person, why does everyone get mad at the bear? There was no reason for him to respond to me like that.. or at all for that reason. He was rude and condescending. There was no reason for it.

Message 24 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@Mopar_Jones wrote:

When a person pokes the bear, and the bear attacks the person, why does everyone get mad at the bear? There was no reason for him to respond to me like that.. or at all for that reason. He was rude and condescending. There was no reason for it.

In my view, I don't think anyone's "attacking the bear," but some are merely pointing that "name calling" undermines the credibility of an otherwise reasonable riposte. 

I understand that you're upset with Chase.  As you've rightly observed, you have the right to feel however you do regarding Chase, for whatever reason; and, equally, to apply for whatever cards you'd prefer, for any reason you deem fitting, however frivolous others may find it.  You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, least of all those on an internet forum.  I suggest when you find a poster's views non-sensical (for whatever reason), just ignore them until time immemorial.  Problem solved, and it'll be one of the best decisions you've ever made.

Conversely, this is an internet community and each person has the same privileges to express his views regardless whether you find it has any merit.  I'm certainly not suggesting how you should respond, but if your blood pressure rises by every internet post you find disgreeable, you're not going too see many years past 30.  As you've said, you're comfortable where you are financially.  Enjoy your success, and don't take comments to heart. 

If you know otherwise, who cares what anyone thinks?  I think you'll find these forums both more enjoyable and valuable if you try to take away emotion from posts you find disgreeable or offensive.  

*Edited* PS - Instead of name calling, vent your frustration with sarcasm, which according to the English is the higest form of wit.

Message 25 of 36
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

My blood pressure rises when someone responds directly to my post and proceeds to be condescending and rude towards me for absolutely no reason. That doesn't happen often. Internet board or in real life, I will respond to it accordingly.

You're right, he had his right to express his views. However, his views were that my views were wrong. He also expressed that my priorities are out of order. That being said, I responded directly to him. Multiple people then chimed in for voice their opinions about whether or not I was wrong and/or he was wrong. I responded directly to him. If he wants to respond to me about it, he can. I've looked through his posts, and it's not uncommon for him to be condescending and rude to other people too. Had he not replied to my post to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands that I can take what was said personally, and in return reposed to what was said. I just simply don't understand why he had to reply to me. End of story.

Message 26 of 36
Open123
Super Contributor

@Mopar_Jones wrote:

My blood pressure rises when someone responds directly to my post and proceeds to be condescending and rude towards me for absolutely no reason. That doesn't happen often. Internet board or in real life, I will respond to it accordingly.

+1

As you should, and rest assured, I'm the last person who would ever advocate "turning the other cheek," in IRL or otherwise  Smiley Very Happy  All I'm trying to convey is that however assertively you'd like to respond, any kind of "name" calling in our "Politically Correct Sanitzed" era will undermine your efforts, however reasonable and/or justified you may otherwise be.

I'm certainly *NOT* suggeting that you should back down to anyone.  I hail from the school of thought where the first thing you do when you run into a "big guerrila" is to hit him in the mouth as hard as you can.

*Edited*  - PS - In the world of Hawks and Doves, I'm every bit the former who believes steadfastly that we still live in a Hobbesian world.  

Message 27 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Mopar_Jones wrote:
Why do you act if you gave birth to Chase and must defend them? What is it with some of you people on here that have to get so defensive towards other people's posts and opinions. Do you really not have anything better to do than to argue with people on here about something that doesn't even concern you to begin with?
Yes, I know every card issuer has limits on what they'll approve. However, like I said, I can't stand them. Their lending practices to me seem purely computer and algorithm based and very volatile.
I'm very happy they've never been annoying to you. However, they're very annoying to me. The fact that I used to bank with them and put almost $100k through their accounts a year never mattered to them. I also used to use JP Morgan for my retirement and investment accounts. That also never mattered to them. So why would I trust them with my money if they won't trust me with theirs?
Why would I be annoyed with my credit? I have a jumbo mortgage for $700k, two auto loans, a boat loan and probably 12 credit cards with over $120,000 worth of credit, with maybe less than 10% used. The reason they denied me was because I had too much available credit. Not because of my lack of credit. Yes, they annoy me because they wouldn't approve me. I do after all have a right to be annoyed by that. I have no problem getting approved almost anywhere else.
The material of the card is appealing to me. Since I don't spend $250k a year on a credit card, Chase's cards are unfortunately my only option as far as a metal card. My priorities however are in order, seeing as how I have accomplished everything else in my life and am very comfortable financially, I don't really have much else to worry about other than things such as what material my credit card is made out of. Most people would love to have the simple worries that I do in life.
Between by wife and I, our rental properties and our investments, we bring in just over $320k a year. That being said, yes, her being issued a $9k credit line is a little bit low. We don't typically use a lot of credit cards much, and our limits don't exceed $30k on any one card, but we do have multiple revolving lines of unsecured credit with limits over $100k. The fact that Chase doesn't take all of this into consideration is very annoying. Chase is nothing more than a big box bank and they are doing more harm than good to our country's financial systems. 9 out of 10 people I talk to cannot stand Chase, whether it be because of their lending practices or their banking practices. Some are perfectly happy with them, and that's fine also. However, there will come a day, believe me.
Another reason I can't stand Chase is because prior to the Dept of Education switching their student loan holdings around, Chase held a couple loans for my Master's degree a while back. While I was 'in school' for my DBA later on, the loans were obviously in deferral.. however, they for whatever reason marked off one month that I was late by 30 days. I don't understand how that could be possible while the loans were in deferral. Even after paying off all the loans in full, they still refused to take the mark off and it is still there to this day, regardless of who I've spoken with or what I've sent them to prove it was in deferral. That's also why my credit is lower than it should be.

Don't take this the wrong way. but if you're such a baller why don't you just get an AMEX Centurian.  320K is more than I make but and I've got an offer for one (business version.) so it shouldn't be hard for you.  You said you spend 100k a year, that's roughly what it took for us to get an invite.  Plus the Centurian has amazing perks compared to any Chase card, even the Palladium card can't compate.

Maybe Chase is scared becasue you have a 700k mortgage and all the other debt you just listed?

Not defending them at all as I know AMEX is better for high income individuals, maybe if you paid off your boat or cars off lenders would look at you and feel a little more secure? 

I figured out that when I paid off one of my cars and my boat only leaving one of my cars having a balance (0% GM financing) that it seem like banks loosened up quite a bit.  I think they like to see that people are buying stuff with the plans of paying it off, not just making payments on it for the remainder of their lives.

Just looking at it from an outside prosprective, please don't take this like i'm attacking you.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 28 of 36
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

I burned AMEX in my BK years ago. Believe me, if I could get another business AMEX I would..

Should have said leases.. two leases.. and one boat loan. I'd pay off the boat loan, but there's no way I could pay off a 52' Cruiser. The term is almost as long as my mortgage..

Message 29 of 36
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Mopar_Jones wrote:

I burned AMEX in my BK years ago. Believe me, if I could get another business AMEX I would..

Should have said leases.. two leases.. and one boat loan. I'd pay off the boat loan, but there's no way I could pay off a 52' Cruiser. The term is almost as long as my mortgage..

What kind of boat do you have? we've got a Sea Ray 520 Sedan Bridge....  I understand completly what you're talking about... 

Does Chase know about the BK at all? Even if it's not on your reports they still have record.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.