Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Mastercards Changing to VISA

tag
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Chase Mastercards Changing to VISA

Last night I checked my mail box and had three different letters from Chase.  One letter was notifying me that my Freedom Mastercard was being changed to a Visa and that my replacement Visa card would arrive by June 14th.  The letter states that my account number is changing (obviously since it will now be a Visa).

The back of the letter has some FAQs and the last one reads as follows:

Question:  I have another Mastercard credit card with Chase.  Will that be replaced with a Visa card too?

Answer:  As part of our expanded relationship with Visa, we expect to replace more Mastercard cards with Visa cards.

Anyone else get this letter regarding a Chase Mastercard product?

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Mastercards Changing to VISA

Thanks for the info. This depresses me! My desire is for the MasterCard as I have more than enough Visa cards. A question to all... what is available in the market place that equals a good reliable Mastercard that has rewards and CLs above $5K? Still depressed as I called JP Morgan Chase Freedom Cards and they confirmed that all of the Chase Freedom Mastercards would be converted to Chase Freedom Visas in waves. After the conversion the Master Card number will remain active for 60 days to allow for transitioning auto-billers. There will be no exceptions to the change. I tried to find a loop hole but Chase has the right to change based on business decisions with Visa. Interesting how the Chase IHG can be either a Visa Signature or a Chase IHG World Master Card (must be the co-branded affinity relationship). Oh, Chase explained that they were being sensitive to the differences between the Visa and Master Card benefits and would match or exceed the MC benefits.

Message 2 of 37
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info. This depresses me! My desire is for the MasterCard as I have more than enough Visa cards. A question to all... what is available in the market place that equals a good reliable Mastercard that has rewards and CLs above $5K?

Yeah, it depresses me as well.  I only have two Mastercards and I had specifically applied for the Freedom Mastercard so that I would have a MC (it was my first!).  So now I'll be left with just one Mastercard - Barclays Sallie Mae.

I would recommend the Barclays Salle Mae Mastercard - it has rewards of 5% for gas & grocery (max of $250 spend each month in each category, then reverts to 1%) and 5% for bookstores (includes Amazon), (max $750 spend per month, then reverts to 1%).  And, it has an initial purchase bonus of $25.00.  I made my initial purchase at Amazon where I spent about $60.00 and I ended up only having to pay about $32.00 after applying my rewards to my statement.

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 37
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Posting a copy of the letter and FAQ as per a PM request.

freedom letter.JPG

freedom letter FAQ.JPG

Message 4 of 37
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Thanks Duchess for posting it so quickly.

Message 5 of 37
newhis
Valued Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

Last night I checked my mail box and had three different letters from Chase.  One letter was notifying me that my Freedom Mastercard was being changed to a Visa and that my replacement Visa card would arrive by June 14th.  The letter states that my account number is changing (obviously since it will now be a Visa).

The back of the letter has some FAQs and the last one reads as follows:

Question:  I have another Mastercard credit card with Chase.  Will that be replaced with a Visa card too?

Answer:  As part of our expanded relationship with Visa, we expect to replace more Mastercard cards with Visa cards.

They changed my Debit Mastercard for a Debit Visa little over a month ago.

Message 6 of 37
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@newhis wrote:

They changed my Debit Mastercard for a Debit Visa little over a month ago.

Thanks for that bit of info, as that reminds me that I do have a debit Mastercard with my Chase checking account.  Haven't received a notice about that one yet, but I suppose it's coming.

I'm guessing that those who have a World Mastercard will be given a Visa Signature?

Message 7 of 37
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.

Message 8 of 37
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

They are changing the IHG visa to a mastercard though.
Message 9 of 37
Imua
Frequent Contributor

i just received my freedom MC statement in the mail this morning... no mention of changing to VISA

i went to my acct on chase website, and no mention of changing to VISA

freedom is my only MC Smiley Sad

well, as long as no UR points are lost, i guess i can live with it

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.