Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Max CC limit

tag
romey050500
New Contributor

Chase Max CC limit

So, about two weeks ago I got approved for a CSP with a 5k limit. I already had a Chase Freedom with 2k on it. They said that was maximum they could give me on all Chase accounts. From reading this board I knew they were talking about my maximum exposure across my accounts. Anyway, I tried for a CLI on the chase Freedome anyway, and I was denied due to I already had the maximum credit limit across all Chase accounts. Ok, I even called the recon number, and the analyst said the same thing. Ok here is the issue, I applied for the Southwest card yesterday and got the 7-10 day message. I didn't even bother to recon, because I have been told three times in the last 3 weeks, that I have hit my maximum limit across all chase accounts. Anyway, I come to work and check my e-mail BOOM!!! Chase Southwest Approved for 8.5k ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? What is going on? not only am I approved, but they approved me 8.5k  I'm seriously considering just getting the 50k bonus then moving 5k to the CSP, and the other 3k to the Freedom.

tl;dr   I had been told three times that I had reached my maximum limit across all chase accounts. Apply for a new Chase account and get approved for 8.5k. what gives?

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Max CC limit

It's most likely because its a co-branded card. I don't think chase will let you move all the CLs over immediately either. Most of the time they would ask u to wait.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

A similar situation happend to me. I was interested in moving the limit from the business card I have to the Freedom I have, since the 0% on the business is up. I was told to try for an increase first and then they could do it, so I did. I got it for more than the limit I was going to transfer and was told I could not transfer the limit because they felt the amount of credit I had was enough (not making sense). Later in the night I tried again and was told since I just received an increase, they want to see how I handle this new limit and couldn't transfer credit.

Two days ago (ten days after the events above) I decided to try again and the gentleman actually told me he could do it without an inquiry first and then said he could only move a few thousand since the payment from that day hadn't posted yet. He said he could decline and tommorrow I could ring in and transfer more once the payment posted. I rang yesterday and the woman actually decided to extend mroe credit without moving over the business line at all. So in as little as one week whatever Chase needs to see for an increase, they can see it.

Message 3 of 11
romey050500
New Contributor

that's so crazy. I'm assuming the analyst are looking at something telling them they can't do it? or do you think they have the power to decide for themselves and it just matters who picks up the phone?

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 4 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@romey050500 wrote:

that's so crazy. I'm assuming the analyst are looking at something telling them they can't do it? or do you think they have the power to decide for themselves and it just matters who picks up the phone?

I've pondered this myself. You see some people on here getting declined by one person and the next is able to approve 5,000 or more credit. I always thought it was all based on the computer, but that obviously is not the case. Usually the nicer sounding people are the ones that seem to help more.

Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@romey050500 wrote:

I've pondered this myself. You see some people on here getting declined by one person and the next is able to approve 5,000 or more credit. I always thought it was all based on the computer, but that obviously is not the case. Usually the nicer sounding people are the ones that seem to help more.

I think it depends on the tier of analyst they are... if they hit a certain limit or amount it has to be approved... Sometimes you hear Bank of America talk about a "senior analyst" reviewing and approving what they are telling you they would like to offer... I have had a Macy's rep in furniture say that her limit was (think she was offering me $5800 out of my $6400 purchase or something... if I REALLY wanted to go for full they would need supervisor and full credit pull which at that point was just internal) Chase sometimes sends for "recommondation"

I mean look at Barclay, some call 3-4 times to either get approvals or get CLI on recon after recon... I think it's all in someones experience with credit/ credit reports/ personal feelings or beliefs on what is good or bad on someones report...

I have had someone looking at my credit and narrow in on one thing which I and other credit companies wouldn't even consider to be the issue and then at same bank get someone else and that issue that was a dead stop to the other not even come up in topic for the next... it's frustrating when it's not working in your favor and it's great when you get it working in your favor...

The internal limit thing use to come up a lot when I worked at Neiman Marcus since they do have credit lines but they MOVE so much like an Amex Charge Card... heck even for my own account if I called they would ALWAYS tell me NOT to try to use my card, I was over the internal limit and NO charges would be approved and then I would go and swipe and it would get a "referal" (I always bought from the same people within my store that knew all about it because I laughed about it) and they would call and few seconds hold and they would be giving them authorization number for computer to approve the charge and never told the sales people to tell me not to charge!)

Message 6 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I think it depends on the tier of analyst they are... if they hit a certain limit or amount it has to be approved... Sometimes you hear Bank of America talk about a "senior analyst" reviewing and approving what they are telling you they would like to offer.

I had to speak to one of those last time I wanted an increase. I was nervous about it, but he was really nice and increased it to what I asked for. I have never had the opportunity to speak to a senior person at Chase and have never been told that they were going to recommend for approval like some people here have reported. It almost makes me want to work for Chase, just to see how it works, but then no more sign up bonuses Smiley Sad.

Message 7 of 11
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Chase is strange when it comes to CLI, at least for most.

I started a few years ago with SW Card, 3.5k limit. I used the card, paid it, etc....  I tried after 12 months to get a CLI, and no go w/o HP. 

I got the Marriot card in Feb 2012, and 12k limit. Then in Oct applied for the CSP and had to move 5k from Marriot to open. I reached max limit.

Fast forward to March of this year and tried again for CLI on SW Card, and no go w/o HP.

Decided to apply for Priority Club Card in March 2013, approved 8.4k.  But still can't get SW card to budge.

A few weeks ago an auto CLI came on Marriott card, from 7k to 10.5k. But was pushing about 3k a month through this card.

Now sitting at a total max limit across all cards = $ 27.4k. 

I am now pushing a lot through the CSP in hopes of an auto CLI just after 6 months.

Go figure.....

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 8 of 11
romey050500
New Contributor

Chase is crazy with these limits.

Message 9 of 11
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

This also happened to me.  I have been having a Chase Freedom Visa for about 7 years now (originally Chase Platinum).  The limit originally started out as $500 and has had several auto-CLIs over the years.  I have also had other cards with Chase (Amazon, Slate, etc.) but have closed them and transfered the credit limits over to my Visa.  The limit on this card has been at $14,300 for quite some time now.  I opened up a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card about 6 months ago with a $5500 credit limit.  I ran about $4000 through the card (business expenses) on the second billing cycle and inquired about a CLI on the card after paying the bill in full.  I was told the same thing...Chase cannot increase my total exposure limit.

Sure enough, a few days later I apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred (just 2 months after opening the United card) and was instantly approved with a $5000 limit.  I just didn't understand it.  So, after deliberation, I decided that the CSP was the better card so I closed down the United card and transfered the limit (they could only do $5000...they had to keep at least $500 on the card) to the new CSP.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.