Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Military Star Card

tag
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Chase Military Star Card

Anyone have any information on the requirements for the Chase Military Star Card?  I am trying to find a card for my DH.  He has no credit cards and needs one to try to build his credit again.  I really want to know which CB they pull and FICO score ranges for approval.

Thanks in advance!

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Military Star Card

Military Star cards are pretty easy to get, even with scores in the low to mid 600's.  I even know some folks who got them in the 500's.  Lot's of perks for Service Members, especially when deployed. 

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a chase military star/credit card for about 2 years now.  When I got it my credit score was low to mid 600's, and had no problems getting the card approved.  HOWEVER.... I use it constantly and it has never helped to build my credit score.  The credit bureau says that I don't have a credit card on my account.  I don't think the chase military star/credit card helps to build credit, but my credit limit continuously rises.  It's nice to have in case of emergencies.

Message 3 of 13
Scene
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had a chase military star/credit card for about 2 years now.  When I got it my credit score was low to mid 600's, and had no problems getting the card approved.  HOWEVER.... I use it constantly and it has never helped to build my credit score.  The credit bureau says that I don't have a credit card on my account.  I don't think the chase military star/credit card helps to build credit, but my credit limit continuously rises.  It's nice to have in case of emergencies.

Are you using FICO reports or FAKO reports? It is odd that a Chase credit card would not report to the credit bureaus. Perhaps you applied for the card and did not supply a SSN or you applied using a different SSN (typing error) and by some strange coincidence that SSN was valid and had the same first and last name as you. If you did use a FICO report and it does not show up then you should contact Chase to make sure they are reporting to the correct SSN.

If Chase does not report on this card then I suppose it can play into your favor! If you run up the CL then you will not be penalized for it on your CR but at the same time your score will never go up.

As for the OP, you should also consider banks that cater to the military (PenFed, NavyFed, or USAA come to mind) if you want to build a credit history for your DH. 

Message 4 of 13
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Thank you all so much for responding.  Hmmm....He needs a card that will report in order to factor into his scores.  That is kind of odd that a chase card doesn't report. Last I checked he was around 600 score-wise and having a credit card would give him a bump.  I was thinking of adding him to one of my cards as an AU but I think that doesn't really help in scoring anymore.

@Scene, I had thought about USAA but didn't think about PenFed or NavyFed.  He is in Korea right now and I am trying to help him out all I can before he gets back home.  I will look into all of the options to see what the best choice is. Thanks so much everyone!

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Message 5 of 13
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

NFCU has been great to me.  Started me off with $10K CL, now it's $15K.  Have had it a year.  Also have a signature loan with them.  The have been great!

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 6 of 13
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

Thanks DrJim.  I will definitely look into NFCU.  I don't think the credit limit will matter at this point in time.  He just needs his foot in the door on a card and I am trying to find one that he could possibly get that won't be loaded with fees.  But it would be nice to get into a place that will grow with him. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is he at in Korea?  I'm out here as well Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

In South Korea...near Seongnam. I think I spelled that right.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

DON'T DO IT!

AAFES Starcard is fine, but should you ever use the card off base, or even in the commissary, you end up in the claws of Chase MC, and they are totally unresponsive.  I've been kicking pennys down the road for months because their billing reaches overseas too late to pay by the due date, (not to mention $10 late fee)  and all of their online/telphonic systems are "experiencing technical difficulies", which is modern shorthand for F*** the customer, keep him paying."  Were it not for the 5 cent per gallonn bouns for Starcard use at the AAFES gas pump, I would terminate mine.  In fact, that may be the better sollution, as I have already paid more in fees than I have saved at the pump.  AAFES, OK.  Chase, F-bomb them!

David

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.