Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Payment Policy

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Payment Policy

@SwiftTone wrote:

As you said, you can only make a payment once every thing days.

What I found out was that it's once every 3 days from the same account. If you have different bank accounts, they will allow you to make a payment from an account you haven't used to pay in the last 3 days.

Ahhh....good idea!  I do have a different account at the same credit union I use for my regular payments, I can set that up to draw from when needed at Chase.  I prefer to "pull" rather than "push" since I see the activity immediately on the website and have alerts sent to my cellphone any time the account status changes. 

Message 11 of 28
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you have a Chase checking account, you can just Transfer the funds from your account to the card everyday, if you wanted to.

I've done it this way. If you do Payment, it'll only let you do it every 3 days, but if you Transfer, it won't recognize it as a payment. It's already happened to me before.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 28
skoop
New Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Received my Chase Sapphire Preferred card a while back, and have been running up charges, well on my way to getting the "spend $3k in 3 months" reward or 40,000 points.  And as I've charged, I've also been paying.  Usually like to pay shortly after I charge something, so I can be done with it.  Imagine my surprise then, when I went to make a payment and received a message from Chase that, I'd made a recent payment and had to choose a date that was 3 days beyond the most recent payment date.  Why would they have a policy like that?  If I want to make a payment daily, or whenever, why should they place a restriction on payments?  I know, the obvious is to make money, but it just seems to be lousy customer service, and the only one of my many accounts that has this restriction.  I did do a customer satisfaction survey with Chase, and expressed my displeasure about this, but no response received. 

Wow, glad you posted this. I am doing the same thing; paying for charges as soon as possible after I charge. I want to not put anything on my card that would not have been paid with cash. I will have to look at this more closely, and develop a plan with that in mind.
Message 13 of 28
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

If you have a Chase checking account, you can just Transfer the funds from your account to the card everyday, if you wanted to.

I've done it this way. If you do Payment, it'll only let you do it every 3 days, but if you Transfer, it won't recognize it as a payment. It's already happened to me before.

this ia not true it still recognizes it as a payment. i just did it yesterday because it posts faster then payements do if you were to hit pay credit card. it still says payment. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 14 of 28
ajh5408
Contributor

Discover also has this policy, so I'm not sure it's entirely uncommon. I think the idea is based around the average ACH transfer time, and for whatever reason they don't want two transactions floating at once.

Message 15 of 28
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Yes Discover does this as well.  I used the automated line the first time, then the next day tried to make another payment and was denied.  Hower, I spoke to a CSR and was able to get the payment to go through that way.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 16 of 28
TM82
Regular Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

Citi has a maximum amount of payments one can make in a month (I think it's 3?).  I'm not sure why.  I wonder if it costs them money when we make online payments?  Just curious, why would you want to make a payment within 3 days of your last payment anyway?

I'm also in the middle of trying to spend the $3k for the Sapphire.  I have 2 more months to do so!

Mainly at the end of the billing/statement cycle, I'd like to make sure that I have a zero balance reporting on this card at this particular time.  I'm using the Sapphire Preferred card as my primary right now, I normally rotate my cards around monthly, but I'm working on those points! 

Easiest way around this is to schedule an auto pay for the due date and then manually make a payment 2 days later. Case in point EVERY single one of my Chase cards (I have 4) all have their due dates fall on the 5th. I have auto pay for the full payment due and it gets credited on the 5th. I wake up on the 7th and pay for any outstanding balance. This will pay any outstanding balance outside of a few pending charges. This always keeps my reported balance low. If one payment is automatic, you can make a manual payment within 2 days if you wish.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 17 of 28
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

1 epay (online, over the phone) payment every 3 days but you can pay other ways with no restrictions (at a chase branch, by mail, through your bank's bill pay)

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 28
codimom
Frequent Contributor

This is what I was thinking.  I know online it won't let you 'overpay' your statement balance, but if you take payment into a branch they will accept a higher payment.  And its not like in most cities there isn't a chase branch every 2 blocks or so...

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 19 of 28
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

Received my Chase Sapphire Preferred card a while back, and have been running up charges, well on my way to getting the "spend $3k in 3 months" reward or 40,000 points.  And as I've charged, I've also been paying.  Usually like to pay shortly after I charge something, so I can be done with it.  Imagine my surprise then, when I went to make a payment and received a message from Chase that, I'd made a recent payment and had to choose a date that was 3 days beyond the most recent payment date.  Why would they have a policy like that?  If I want to make a payment daily, or whenever, why should they place a restriction on payments?  I know, the obvious is to make money, but it just seems to be lousy customer service, and the only one of my many accounts that has this restriction.  I did do a customer satisfaction survey with Chase, and expressed my displeasure about this, but no response received. 

I believe it is because it costs them money to withdraw money. Chase is not the only one who puts restriction on payment. Citi limits you to 4 payments per month. Capital One even writes off your balance when it is $0.99 or less.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.