Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Payment Policy

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Chase Payment Policy

Received my Chase Sapphire Preferred card a while back, and have been running up charges, well on my way to getting the "spend $3k in 3 months" reward or 40,000 points.  And as I've charged, I've also been paying.  Usually like to pay shortly after I charge something, so I can be done with it.  Imagine my surprise then, when I went to make a payment and received a message from Chase that, I'd made a recent payment and had to choose a date that was 3 days beyond the most recent payment date.  Why would they have a policy like that?  If I want to make a payment daily, or whenever, why should they place a restriction on payments?  I know, the obvious is to make money, but it just seems to be lousy customer service, and the only one of my many accounts that has this restriction.  I did do a customer satisfaction survey with Chase, and expressed my displeasure about this, but no response received. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Payment Policy

Are you trying to push the payment from your bank or doing it from the Chase website?

You can push as much as you want from your bank but they may have restrictions if you do it from their site. When I use my Freedom, I push payments to them weekly from my USAA checking account and have never had an issue at all.

If you are "pulling", try the "push". I bet that will work just fine for you.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 28
marty56
Super Contributor

I have had the same issue.  PNC also does that.  My Chase Southwest Visa is a 0% util.  I am going to "retire" it next year becuase of the $59 AF.

I also caught Chase chargining me interest one time when they should not have.  They did removed the charge though.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 28
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Citi has a maximum amount of payments one can make in a month (I think it's 3?).  I'm not sure why.  I wonder if it costs them money when we make online payments?  Just curious, why would you want to make a payment within 3 days of your last payment anyway?

I'm also in the middle of trying to spend the $3k for the Sapphire.  I have 2 more months to do so!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 28
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Like you i prefer.paying for charges soon after i make them. Chase has the three day policy, but my wells fargo is worse. They only allow two payments in a month unless you have a wells fargo checking, in which case it is unlimited. Actually, i can call them and they will take a payment, but that is just a hassel. I know i can pjsh payments to either, but i prefer using a companies website so the payment is for sure posted as soon as i make it. Amex is best at it in my opinion. They credit a payment to your available credit the second you make the payment, and they let you make as manny as you want to.
Message 5 of 28
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Citi is dreadful. You can't make any payments that exceed your statement balance. So if your statement closed with $1 and your recent activity totals $500, you are unable to make a payment beyond $1. It simply doesn't allow it. You can call but that's a hassle, so I just overpay a bit via my checking acct's billpay feature a few days before statement close.

Message 6 of 28
marty56
Super Contributor

RBFCU and Sams allow you to overpay.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 28
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i have a chase checking account and i dint have that issue. I transfer money from checking to credit card some times 2-3 times a week never had an issue

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 8 of 28
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

As you said, you can only make a payment once every thing days.

What I found out was that it's once every 3 days from the same account. If you have different bank accounts, they will allow you to make a payment from an account you haven't used to pay in the last 3 days.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 9 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

Citi has a maximum amount of payments one can make in a month (I think it's 3?).  I'm not sure why.  I wonder if it costs them money when we make online payments?  Just curious, why would you want to make a payment within 3 days of your last payment anyway?

I'm also in the middle of trying to spend the $3k for the Sapphire.  I have 2 more months to do so!

Mainly at the end of the billing/statement cycle, I'd like to make sure that I have a zero balance reporting on this card at this particular time.  I'm using the Sapphire Preferred card as my primary right now, I normally rotate my cards around monthly, but I'm working on those points! 

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.