Valued Contributor

Chase Policy on One New Card Same Product

Here is what Chase says:

When selecting the credit card that best meets your needs,
please remember that our policy no longer allows for
customers to have more than one credit card in the same
product. Applications for a card product you already have
may not be eligible for approval.

My read of this is that, if you already have a Freedom card, you can't open a new Freedom CC. Say nothing of getting the 2nd bonus, forget about it.

But I think you can still PC other card to Freedom, or whatever you can exchange to. Most of the co-branded CCs can't be exchanged. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Policy on One New Card Same Product

Would this mean if you have the Freedom and want the Freedom Unlimited you cannot now have both ?

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 2 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@cuthatcard wrote:

Would this mean if you have the Freedom and want the Freedom Unlimited you cannot now have both ?

That is not excluded by the language shown by the OP.   Here "product" means a particuar card, and Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are different products.  You just may not be eligible to APP for a Freedom if you already have one.

In the past, when there were VIsa and MC versions,  the Freedom Visa was a different product from the MC Freedom

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cuthatcard wrote:

That would be a different product so you should be fine. 

Message 4 of 8
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@cuthatcard wrote:

That would be a different product so you should be fine. 

Thanks for clarification for me !

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 5 of 8
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I recently PC'ed my Unlimited to my 2nd Freedom, no question asked. I think this is on new application only.

Message 6 of 8
havoc
Valued Member

I applied for the "Freedom" under the "my offers" section of my online banking and was shot down. I have the FU already since it came out in April, when I called recon their specific reason was "already received bonus on this card in last 2yrs". I explained that I have FU not regular Freedom, she said same product, kinda suprised me. So I inquired as to why they would give me a pre-approval with a set interest rate and then turn me down. She didn"t have a reason, only that I am ineligible for that product. Letter received sighted same reason. So others may have a different experience, but that was mine.

Message 7 of 8
BirchBarlow
Contributor

I take that to mean you can't have duplicates (does anyone really need more than one of the same product?)  I don't think that means if you have a Freedom, you can't have a FU or vice versa.  It seems many people on here have both the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, and the two cards compliment each other well seeing as you can transfer the points from the Freedom to the Freedom Unlimited.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.