Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Pre-Approvals With Sinking CLs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Pre-Approvals With Sinking CLs

Late last year I had a pre-approved offer for the CSP w/$18K CL. It's still there, but at the beginning of the year, the initial CL dropped to $16K. Now I see that it dropped to $13K lol. My util or scores have not changed.

OMG, I better apply before it goes any lower!!!

I'm not sure what the tactic is with the declining CL, but I'm thinking the pre-approved offer will be pulled soon. I don't want the card, but in the future if they come up with a new card, I'd want to look at it. Do offers go away and re-appear later? Even with the same card?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Pre-Approvals With Sinking CLs

You can always call and ask for a bigger CL when you are approved for it.  Smiley Happy      That way they may still end up giving you the 18 or maybe higher Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 10
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

In short, yes. Offers disappear and reappear all of the time. Their goal is to get you to bite and if you don't- eventually offer you something else.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

You can always call and ask for a bigger CL when you are approved for it.  Smiley Happy      That way they may still end up giving you the 18 or maybe higher Smiley Very Happy

That's what I figured what I would have to do. If I wanted the card, I'd have to call. Or if a new offering popped up,  I could say I saw 18K on another card, and even ask for a higher CL, since they seem to throw up different CLs. 

Chase is primarily travel and general cash back. Maybe they'll surprise us this year with something new and maybe I'd be interested, even though I have no plans to thin out my spend any more.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SoCalifornia wrote:
In short, yes. Offers disappear and reappear all of the time. Their goal is to get you to bite and if you don't- eventually offer you something else.

Cat and mouse game lol. I throw my fishing line in and pull it out. I click on the offer here and there and I'm sure they record that, which shows up as curiosity or interest. 

Message 5 of 10
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@SoCalifornia wrote:

Yup, they appear and disappear. I've had cards come on and off a lot last year ever since I started paying attention.

And in my situation, where I applied for the Hyatt card 12/9/19 and got denied (6/24), the offers never come back! I've not had any prequals come through since then. Maybe they trying to help me out so I don't waste another HP?!

Message 6 of 10
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Its annoying I suppose but the SL offer is generally set to your income.

If you think the SL is not going to meet your spending needs then by all means call in and request a larger limit. This is totally understandable when you'll have to factor in 2 month spend against that limit when paid in full.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TSlop wrote:

@SoCalifornia wrote:

Yup, they appear and disappear. I've had cards come on and off a lot last year ever since I started paying attention.

And in my situation, where I applied for the Hyatt card 12/9/19 and got denied (6/24), the offers never come back! I've not had any prequals come through since then. Maybe they trying to help me out so I don't waste another HP?!

Were you denied for a prequal or a preapproval? Preapprovals should be as successful as short field goals. Are preapprovals a HP or a SP?

Message 8 of 10
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

@SoCalifornia wrote:

Were you denied for a prequal or a preapproval? Preapprovals should be as successful as short field goals. Are preapprovals a HP or a SP?

Nah, it wasn't a prequal or anything. I've asked previously on the forum, and posters have said that the Hyatt does not come around as a prequal. The only ones that have been coming through as prequals for me (pre-Hyatt application) were the Marriott, United and Southwest cards with solid APRs. They were showing when I was 6/24. If the Marriott comes back to me as a prequal, I'll probably apply even though I'll only be 5/24 in February. Otherwise, I'm not 4/24 until August. I want the Marriott Boundless and CFU to complete my Chase Quadfecta. I might still consider the Hyatt card as well. After that, it is gardening until Chase throws out a brand new card that is interesting to me.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TSlop wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@TSlop wrote:

@SoCalifornia wrote:

Nah, it wasn't a prequal or anything. I've asked previously on the forum, and posters have said that the Hyatt does not come around as a prequal. The only ones that have been coming through as prequals for me (pre-Hyatt application) were the Marriott, United and Southwest cards with solid APRs. They were showing when I was 6/24. If the Marriott comes back to me as a prequal, I'll probably apply even though I'll only be 5/24 in February. Otherwise, I'm not 4/24 until August. I want the Marriott Boundless and CFU to complete my Chase Quadfecta. I might still consider the Hyatt card as well. After that, it is gardening until Chase throws out a brand new card that is interesting to me.

A new card is what I'm waiting for and I'll use the highest CL I saw as the starting point if one does and I'm preapproved. But if nothing comes along, my plan was to sit on the sidelines in 2020 anyway. I had no plans to get a card in 2018 until the Propel showed up.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.