Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Pre-Approved offers

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Chase Pre-Approved offers

Yesterday I got in the mail 2 offers from Chase both of which say "pre-approved". One is for the Slate with 9.90% APR after 0% purchase and BT with ZERO intro BT fees until 10/01/2012. The other is for Freedom with 0% on purchases and BT until 10/01/2012 then 12.99% plus $250 cash back after the first purchase (no minimum spending requirement).

Both of these offers sound pretty good, but I have a bad taste in my mouth after Chase didn't honor an offer for miles on the Southwest card a couple of years back. I'd really appreciate feedback. What would you all do? How solid are these pre-approvals?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Pre-Approved offers

@MrShush wrote:

Yesterday I got in the mail 2 offers from Chase both of which say "pre-approved". One is for the Slate with 9.90% APR after 0% purchase and BT with ZERO intro BT fees until 10/01/2012. The other is for Freedom with 0% on purchases and BT until 10/01/2012 then 12.99% plus $250 cash back after the first purchase (no minimum spending requirement).

Both of these offers sound pretty good, but I have a bad taste in my mouth after Chase didn't honor an offer for miles on the Southwest card a couple of years back. I'd really appreciate feedback. What would you all do? How solid are these pre-approvals?

Thanks!

What do you mean didn't honor? I signup for 2 chase cards (freedom & sapphire preferred) and they honor both. I would call in and speak to management or threaten to write to BBB if they don't follow through. However, I don't think you have to worry about either, if the app or advertisement is what stated, I don't think you have to worry.

Message 2 of 60
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:
What do you mean didn't honor? I signup for 2 chase cards (freedom & sapphire preferred) and they honor both. I would call in and speak to management or threaten to write to BBB if they don't follow through. However, I don't think you have to worry about either, if the app or advertisement is what stated, I don't think you have to worry.

They offered 16 whatever credits upon first use and a balance transfer. They only gave credits for the purchase but refused to open the card for BT's. Don't know why, don't care either. I called and called and got different responses from each CSR with whom I spoke. The AF was supposed to be waived the first year (charged at activation). The card wasn't great either with no options for point multipliers or bonuses. They were also supposed to credit a credit upon the card's anniversary which they did not do. I tried to PC the card and was told by quite a few CSRs that I could but when I went to change, the card couldn't move out of Southwest brand. Overall poor experience soured me on that bank. I put a complaint in with the executive offices and all I got was my AF back when I cancelled the card. Soo...that's my last experience with Chase.

Message 3 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MrShush! 

You should be ok with pre-approved offers. 

Chase has been good to me. I have a car loan with them with timely payments the last 2 years, just got the Freedom card in August, and was just approved yesterday for the INK business card. I am sorry to hear about your experience. 

I will say this. When I applied for the INK card, I got instant denial. I called Chase and was told that because I just opened an account a month prior, the denial on the second application is AUTOMATICALLY denied. When I asked why, they said that their computer generates an automatic denial to guard against potential fraud on a second application. I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but it was certainly mine as of yesterday.

Of course, when I called, there was no problem getting approved for a second card.  They just verified some information and I was good to go. This is just a heads up in case you find yourself getting approved for one and not the other.

I do not have the Slate card. I do have the Freedom card and it has quickly become my favorite go to daily card.  I PIF so I could care less about the interest rate. The $250 cash back bonus is pretty nice too, and I love the rotating rewards. I am primarily on online shopper, so when I shop through Chase, I often find myself getting 10% back at select stores.

Message 4 of 60
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

One is for the Slate with 9.90% APR after 0% purchase and BT with ZERO intro BT fees until 10/01/2012. The other is for Freedom with 0% on purchases and BT until 10/01/2012 then 12.99% plus $250 cash back after the first purchase (no minimum spending requirement).

OUCH! better than my pre approvals! what are your scores?

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 5 of 60
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

One is for the Slate with 9.90% APR after 0% purchase and BT with ZERO intro BT fees until 10/01/2012. The other is for Freedom with 0% on purchases and BT until 10/01/2012 then 12.99% plus $250 cash back after the first purchase (no minimum spending requirement).

OUCH! better than my pre approvals! what are your scores?

TU was 763 10 days ago and EQ is about 760 whilst EX is low man at 729 down from 756. Not bad, but not great either. I added my 3rd AMEX (1996) at the end of August but it hasn't reported yet.

Message 6 of 60
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

id say you have excellent credit in my opinion. congrats on those primo pre approvals. i was receiving pre approvals from chase, but they were with 200 instant bonus, and 14.99% apr.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 60
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

id say you have excellent credit in my opinion. congrats on those primo pre approvals. i was receiving pre approvals from chase, but they were with 200 instant bonus, and 14.99% apr.

Thanks man. It's free money but I don't want to grab 2 new cards and screw up my AAoA. Actually, it's been a pretty good week for offers. I got a pre-approval for PNC's Visa and a "request your card" from PSECU. I was really trying to refrain for a year or so but so damn tempting are these offers!

Message 8 of 60
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MrShush wrote:

Thanks!

AFAIK, Slate doesn't have any rewards to speak of. I would definitely not waste an inq and lower my AAoA for that one.

I'm happy with my Freedom, though.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 60
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're looking at Chase cards for the bonus, look at Chase Sapphire Preferred and Ink Bold.  I think both have 50,000 point sign up offers right now.  Provided you have the monthly expenses to hit their spend threshholds, you'll get alot more than $250.  Even if you're not interested in travel rewards through Ultimate Rewards, the 50,000 points can be redeemed for $500.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.