Did you mean: 

Chase Preapproved Card A Done Deal?

tag
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Preapproved Card A Done Deal?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Cash it out, you don't have to use as travel points.

I could. I'd give up $150 in bonus in exchange for a 95 AF.

Why is this argument so circular? You said you won't travel until 2021 so there would be two annual fees, so it's not worth it. Then just cash it out. Why argue what you could possibility lose if you said you won't use it. You don't have to even cash it now. You could cash it later in the event you might possibly want the travel points. Simplify it a bit. 

Message 41 of 48
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

800 a month for 12 months on the DC puts you at $192 cashback vs 144 on the CFU. You are up $48 in cashback however you need to factor in the sub. 

If one applied for the CFU by itself, one would of had a $200 SUB. 200-48 = 152. One could have net $152 more on CFU. That is guaranteed money in your pocket, at a much earlier rate. We are talking about less than 1 month in spend vs 4 years at your projected spending. At your current spend, it would take 4 years to equal the CFU. 

Again, not to mention if you want to use the Chase ecosystem and leverage the higher rate of the Chase portal with the CSP/CSR/CIP. Redeeming the DC is a bit different as well since you don't earn the double until you pay. Not a big deal but I wanted to present the full information for anyone else who might be reading this and debating between the two cards. 

I don't think the DC is a better earner at the current spend when you factor in the sub. 

In your specific case, I would of stuck with the CFU and apped for the CF or CSP instead of the DC. The CSP would of been my first choice and then if you can't find the use for the travel card, you downgrade it to the CF. AND still be up 60000 UR + your CFU points being able to be used at 1.25. 

ps I would rather be with Chase than Citi. 

Message 42 of 48
Trikoret
Contributor

No idea what's the big fuss about. If he don't want to take the offer, that's his choice. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 43 of 48
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:
No idea what's the big fuss about. If he don't want to take the offer, that's his choice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's perfectly fine to not take an offer. That's not what the discussion is about. 

This is specifically a credit card sub-forum where we are discussing the specific benefits of a credit card, right? Is that not fair?

Message 44 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Cash it out, you don't have to use as travel points.

I could. I'd give up $150 in bonus in exchange for a 95 AF.

Why is this argument so circular? You said you won't travel until 2021 so there would be two annual fees, so it's not worth it. Then just cash it out. Why argue what you could possibility lose if you said you won't use it. You don't have to even cash it now. You could cash it later in the event you might possibly want the travel points. Simplify it a bit. 

Really wasn't circular, although it appears that way. I didn't finish my thought and decided to send as is to take care of another matter.

Yes, I can move it to the freedom for $600. Still thinking about what way I would go if I decided to get the card. Sometimes I book trips further In advance. If i go 9 months or a year out, i can book summer or fall of 2020 for 2021. Then, I'd be cancelling the card in less than a year. Do I want to do that? Seems like I'd be SUB chasing. Close the card in 2021, I'm more likely to do that. That means I'd probably want to use the points instead of taking the cash. That's the full thought. 

Message 45 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trikoret wrote:

Yep. It's not life or death, and I didn't put that much time into thinking about it, until more now, and the offer is still there. I might go for it, might not.

Message 46 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Trikoret wrote:

It's perfectly fine to not take an offer. That's not what the discussion is about. 

This is specifically a credit card sub-forum where we are discussing the specific benefits of a credit card, right? Is that not fair?

Yes. And I can be persuaded. And so can others who have gotten the same offer. And at least I'll learn some things. For me, a card is opened, it's a long term relationship, either with the same card or a PC. But I already have a relationship with Chase, so I might do it. 

Message 47 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

800 a month for 12 months on the DC puts you at $192 cashback vs 144 on the CFU. You are up $48 in cashback however you need to factor in the sub. 

If one applied for the CFU by itself, one would of had a $200 SUB. 200-48 = 152. One could have net $152 more on CFU. That is guaranteed money in your pocket, at a much earlier rate. We are talking about less than 1 month in spend vs 4 years at your projected spending. At your current spend, it would take 4 years to equal the CFU. 

Again, not to mention if you want to use the Chase ecosystem and leverage the higher rate of the Chase portal with the CSP/CSR/CIP. Redeeming the DC is a bit different as well since you don't earn the double until you pay. Not a big deal but I wanted to present the full information for anyone else who might be reading this and debating between the two cards. 

I don't think the DC is a better earner at the current spend when you factor in the sub. 

In your specific case, I would of stuck with the CFU and apped for the CF or CSP instead of the DC. The CSP would of been my first choice and then if you can't find the use for the travel card, you downgrade it to the CF. AND still be up 60000 UR + your CFU points being able to be used at 1.25. 

ps I would rather be with Chase than Citi. 

Why is the SUB even considered, its long gone? Once I receive it, its then 1.5% vs 2%, and then it's a long term comparison. 2% wins long term. I don't really care when I can redeem, I redeem every month or every other month, so the 1% when I buy and 1% when I pay doesn't bother me at all.

I got the DC in early 2015. CFU in 2017. 

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.