Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Presidential Plus CLI vs new comparable card

tag
fungoman
Regular Contributor

Chase Presidential Plus CLI vs new comparable card

Hello everyone! I used to be an avid follower of the forum, and over time have lost the ability to be a frequent contributor/reader. But I know this is the best source for this type of information. 

I currently have the Presidential Plus and need a higher credit limit and/or a new card suggestion with better benefits. I generally travel on United and like the perks of free bags. I also frequently shop on Amazon. 

Is the process for a CLI with Chase still through SM or a phone call? Any other options? Any other card recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the brain trust here!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Presidential Plus CLI vs new comparable card

The process to request is still the same unless your online profile allows the option to submit for a CLI.  It will be a HP.  

I used to have this particular card prior to the Continental/United merger. 

Are you exclusive to United / Star Alliance? 

Message 2 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

The process to request is still the same unless your online profile allows the option to submit for a CLI.  It will be a HP.  

What made you decide to close it? I don't know much about the card, but in past mentions on FT people seemed very eager to keep it for PQMs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 9
fungoman
Regular Contributor

It is the airline I frequent the most. How does the United Club Card compare to presidential?

Message 4 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@fungoman wrote:

It is the airline I frequent the most. How does the United Club Card compare to presidential?

Club gives 1.5x miles on non-United spend. I think PP only gives 1x.

However, general spend on Club does not earn PQMs like PP once did (and may still do, you'd know better than me).

I'm not sure about other differences in AF, travel/purchase protections, etc.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

What made you decide to close it? I don't know much about the card, but in past mentions on FT people seemed very eager to keep it for PQMs.

The AF hike plus not much of a United flyer these days to sustain the United Club membership in the long term.  At one point I entertained doing a PC to the United Club card, but decided to pass.  

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@fungoman wrote:

The Presidential CC seems to be the only United co-branded CC that helps to retain MileagePlus Elite status (i.e. 1,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQMs) for every $5,000 spent on the card).  There's no limits on how many you can earn.  PQMs are based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. 

As far as rewards, IIRC, it's 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, accommodations purchased directly with a hotel and at car rental agencies. Then, it's 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.

The $450 AF is the same for both CCs. 

Message 7 of 9
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I can't remember if you're allowed to link to FlyerTalk here but I think the information you seek would best be found there. There's a big(admittedly kind of dense) thread over there with people talking about their experiences with that card now that United has switched to PQFs and PQPs instead of the old system(PQS/PQM/PQD). 

I'll just link it and mods can cut it if I'm breaking the rules. You can find that here.

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CaptJOB wrote:

I can't remember if you're allowed to link to FlyerTalk here but I think the information you seek would best be found there. There's a big(admittedly kind of dense) thread over there with people talking about their experiences with that card now that United has switched to PQFs and PQPs instead of the old system(PQS/PQM/PQD). 

I'll just link it and mods can cut it if I'm breaking the rules. You can find that here.

Links to Flyertalk are fine.  Smiley Happy  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Links-to-FlyerTalk-Are-Now-Permitted/m-p/5499862#M1621... 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.