Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Product Change = No

tag
tatiana
Contributor

Chase Product Change = No

I think I've mentioned here that I've wanted to convert my two Chase classic rewards cards to Freedom and Disney.  Even though my second card (WaMu) won't be eligible to convert until later this month, I gave it a go today with my existing Chase card (to Disney).

I got back an almost instantaneous "no."  The CSR didn't know why, he just said that the message he got was that this particular card was "ineligible for a product change."  Any ideas why? 

Could it be that they don't offer conversions to the Disney Visa?  Is it because my existing card is MC? 

Could it be my old BK?  There's nothing else on my reports that could cause alarm.  I've NEVER burned Chase; I didn't include my account with them in the bankruptcy and I immediately pay in full whenever I use the card, which isn't often.  They have been good about APR decreases, so I know my account hasn't been completely throttled.  But I'm curious and more than a bit paranoid.  Since both of my bank cards are now going to be with Chase, I don't want to be living in fear of using my cards responsibly...heck, of using my cards at all.  

If anyone else has experiences with Chase and product changes, I'd love to hear them.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

Might as well change my surname to Morgan-Chase.
Closed on my crazy midcentury home in July, 2012! Thanks, FHA!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tatiana
Contributor

Re: Chase Product Change = No

Meanwhile, I just noticed that my TU score went up by 7 points this month.  LOLZ.

Message 2 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Most of the time ccc have agreemennt with stores that they can not do the product change. I tried to do product change for my chase/startbucks card and they said it can not be done.
Message 3 of 13
tatiana
Contributor

Changes TO as well as FROM the cobranded product?

That was probably it, then.  Next month, I'll try for Fredom with the former WaMu card.  Thanks!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 13
Locksley123
Regular Contributor

I have Disney card with Chase and want to switch from it. Want to swap?
Message 5 of 13
tatiana
Contributor

It's a deal!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

I would call back in a month or so and ask again. I switched from a regular chase to the amazon cobranded card in December. The CSR asked me abunch of questions about why I wanted to switch. I explained that I had not been using my chase card much (almost never--which is why, I think, they had so many questions). I explained that I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon.com and that I could make good use of that card. They switched me straight away.

It is possible that the problem they have with switching you is your lack of use of their card. How often is "isn't often"? 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 7 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My understanding is that they often can't switch you out of a co-branded card into a straight bank card, because of an agreement with the store/ whatever behind the card, but I don't see why they can't switch you into it. Doesn't make sense.

My guesses would be the stuff on your report and/ or a clueless rep.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 13
tatiana
Contributor

He didn't ask me any questions, just put me on hold to speak to the highers-up, I guess. 

The bankruptcy would explain things, kinda - but it wouldn't reassure me.   Further, it seems arbirtrary and stupid to approve APR changes, but not product swaps.  

To answer the previous question regarding "how often is not often," I last used and PIFed the card in November, I think.   But the whole point of the product change was to make using this particular card more convenient.  I did explain that I was going to have two basic Chase rewards cards, and needed a reason to keep and use them both.  

Message 9 of 13
tatiana
Contributor

Here's an update:  I used the number in this post and got my ex-WaMu card converted to Freedom!

So, I guess I wasn't being throttled after all; they may just have a hard NO stance with their first-line CSRs.  Or, maybe they're just being nice to the ex-WaMulians.  Or, maybe they're just trying to limit product changes to a set range of products, like Freedom and Perfect. 

Haven't tried reinstigating another product change with my first Chase card yet.  Not sure if it's worth it. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.