cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Reserve / other higher tier cards with (short history + high income + good score)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Top tier cards with low Age of accounts

I’m going to reiterate what others have said in that Chase does seem to generally like seeing at least a year’s worth of history for their cards. However, once you do hit a year, you will more than likely be approved for the Freedom.

As a college student with a part time job (read: low income), I opened my first account with Discover in October 2013 with a $500 SL that was raised to $1250. In December 2014, I opened my second card (a Costco Amex) with a $4000 SL. Later that same month (before the Amex started reporting), I opened my Chase Freedom with a $1200 SL. My point being that hitting a year of credit history will open a lot of doors for you- especially at your income level. (I’m not sure that your AAoA would necessarily have to be a year.) I would hold off on any credit applications up to that point however.

Chase does like to see a more established credit history for their Sapphire, Marriott, Southwest, and United cards. I might not be the best person to ask as to when you’d get approved for the CSP or CSR, as the CSP is my newest card in a decent-sized portfolio. You can see in my signature what my portfolio looked like at the time (I have no bad marks either), and I got approved for the lowest APR (which indicates that I was approved pretty easily). My friend also got approved for the lowest APR with a similar-length history to mine, but only two open cards (one of which being a Freedom) and two closed cards.

So, if I were you, I’d apply for the Freedom once you have a year of credit history. This will establish your relationship with Chase, and it’s also a very good cashback Card that becomes excellent when you pair it with a CSP/CSR. As for the CSP/CSR, I’d say you’d want at least two years of history. Also keep the 5/24 rule in mind, in case you do decide to open more cards in that time.
Message 11 of 16
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Reserve / other higher tier cards with (short history + high income + good score)

If you're prequal for the Amex Gold, you can pick up the Platinum (same underwriting, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and run travel through that (5x airfare, 5x hotels booked through amex travel, plus a bunch of status). That should offer a great return until you're able to get your AAoA up and pick up the Reserve.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 12 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Reserve / other higher tier cards with (short history + high income + good score)

2 threads on same topic merged into one. OP please refrain from posting multi threads on the same topic and welcome to the board Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

- 2 threads on same topic merged into one. OP please refrain from posting multi threads on the same topic 

Sorry about that, tried to delete the other thread but could not figure it out. 

- welcome to the board 

Thank you! Its been < 24 hours and this forum has already been super helpful!

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for all the help everyone!

Based on all of the inputs people have given I guess I have two options:

(1) Wait for 3 months and then apply for the chase card (Uncertainity and will lose out on the points for my travels till then which will be about 5,000 dollars)

(2) Get the Amex Gold right now and build up my file (Not the ideal card, but will get something right now and not miss out on the points)

Right now I am leaning towards option 2 and dont see a major downside to it. Any opinions?

Message 15 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

It’s never a good idea to get a card just to have something. I agree on building your file but there’s so many credit cards on the market. Find something that will work for you and build with that.

Did you check out the US bank Prequalified site ? Look for a fixed APR on the offer.

The flex perks Visa is a good card. I have one. It also offers free Gogo WiFi. If you fly 3 times and use it for day passes. The card is free after the WiFi credit and then some.

Also have the Amex PRG “Gold”
This is a charge card. Must be paid in full every month.
The rewards categories is a bit better on this card vs Flex Perks. But the annual fee is $50 more after airline credit. Also the extra points are only for US purchases. You will not receive any extra points for purchases overseas. Standard 1 point for $1.

Both are solid cards. Although Amex coverage is poor outside the US. Not sure if you intend to use it as your primary card overseas, but bring a NO-FTF Visa/MC backup.

Bank Of America ? They have a travel card with no FTF, no AF, 1.5X everything.

I normally don’t recommend cap 1, but in your case the QS or QS1 might be a good choice. Zero or $39 AF. 1.5% cash back on everything. NO-FTF.
They have a Prequalified site as well.

Just a side note.
What counts as travel in terms of rewards is very card specific. Amex PRG only counts travel as airlines booked directly through the airline and hotels booked through Amex travel portal.

Chase and USB are more relaxed on what counts as travel compared to Amex.

Some people think that any purchase overseas or out of state would count as travel. Unfortunately it does not. I wish it did though!

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.