Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred Annual Fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred Annual Fee

I signed up for the CSP credit card with the offer of 50,000 points and $0 annual fee for the first year.  I was charged the $95 annual fee less than 1 month after they opened my account.

They refuse to refund the annual fee. Is there any other recourse I can take to have them refund the fee. I have already met the bonus, so I am thinking of having them downgrade to the plain chase sapphire card and pay 7.92 for the prorated annual fee ($95 / 12 months) or I could just close the card out of principal.

I have been banking with chase for almost 10 years and I have 2 other credit cards with them. They could not be bothered to care about anything I said. I have provided screenshots from throughout my application process that said my offer was $0 intro annual fee for the first year and $95 after the first year with a 50,000 bonus, but they do not care and they will not remove the incorrectly charged fee.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Annual Fee

Thats wrongSmiley Sad.
Message 2 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I signed up for the CSP credit card with the offer of 50,000 points and $0 annual fee for the first year.  I was charged the $95 annual fee less than 1 month after they opened my account.

They refuse to refund the annual fee. Is there any other recourse I can take to have them refund the fee. I have already met the bonus, so I am thinking of having them downgrade to the plain chase sapphire card and pay 7.92 for the prorated annual fee ($95 / 12 months) or I could just close the card out of principal.

I have been banking with chase for almost 10 years and I have 2 other credit cards with them. They could not be bothered to care about anything I said. I have provided screenshots from throughout my application process that said my offer was $0 intro annual fee for the first year and $95 after the first year with a 50,000 bonus, but they do not care and they will not remove the incorrectly charged fee.

Sorry to hear of your issues.  You’re going to need to keep hounding them and escalate as much as possible.  Don’t cave in by downgrading.  Their long time standing offer for the CSP is no AF for the first year so I have no idea why this should be a problem for them to resolve.  Might want to consider visiting a branch and sitting down with a banker and explain what is going on and let them know that you will move your bank accounts elsewhere unless they refund you the $95.  Good luck 

Edit to add.  If they don’t help, file a complaint with the CFPB.  

Message 3 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your account has an intro $0 annual fee for the first year, it should be reflected in the account's disclosures (along with APR and all that stuff). If your disclosure shows a zero intro annual fee, you can choose to submit a case to the CFPB about this matter.

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you all for your help. 

Re: PlyrStar93: Where would I find the account's disclosures? I have all the paperwork that came with the card but I do not see anything about the bonus point offer or annual fee offer on the card. All it shows me is the 2x dining, 2x travel, and 1x everything else. I have screenshots of my application process that says $0 intro annual fee.  

Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Where would I find the account's disclosures? I have all the paperwork that came with the card but I do not see anything about the bonus point offer or annual fee offer on the card. All it shows me is the 2x dining, 2x travel, and 1x everything else. I have screenshots of my application process that says $0 intro annual fee.  

Something like this isn't included in the mail with the benefits and card?

terms.png

Well the one above is Amex's disclosure and it came with the card and benefits in the same envelope. But I guess Chase maybe doing things differently, and I can't really check what I received for my CSR since I'm not at home right now.

But screenshots during application showing the $0 intro would be sufficient. If you sent secured messages and they replied back they cannot remove the first fee, this is considered written communication as well, definitely add that too in the case so you'll demonstrate the communication has happened.

Message 6 of 49
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

There was a public offer about 2 weeks ago for chase CSP, 60K points after spend but the AF was not waived.
It could very well still be going on, I just haven’t looked in 2 weeks.

Maybe you signed up for the 60K point offer?

If not I would escalate it as much as possible. Contact the EO office if need be.

If all else fails, file a complaint with the CFPB.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did actually changed the offer recently. About a month or 2 ago they were offering publicly the 60k plus annual fee offer and i believe they kept the annual fee for a short period on 50k offer before the completely revert to the original offer but i'm not 100% sure about that. 

Message 8 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

While I agree its worth pursuing some, only you know the value of your time.   This is $95 once, so, IMO, spending lots of hours on it isn't worthwhile, especially as you can't be certain of the outcome.   Principles don't come into when dealing with large financial instutions, they don't care and neither should you.   Do what is most cost-effective for you.   

Although I am suprised that this wasn't instantly resolved, as it's not like you apped for some unusual offer.   As others have said, this has been the default offer for a long time.

Message 9 of 49
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

While I agree its worth pursuing some, only you know the value of your time.   This is $95 once, so, IMO, spending lots of hours on it isn't worthwhile, especially as you can't be certain of the outcome.   Principles don't come into when dealing with large financial instutions, they don't care and neither should you.   Do what is most cost-effective for you.   

Although I am suprised that this wasn't instantly resolved, as it's not like you apped for some unusual offer.   As others have said, this has been the default offer for a long time.

I did see a 60k CSP offer on the Chase website on 4/3. I didn't notice whether the first-year fee was waived or not.

I checked again just now through the find-a-card feature I'd used: Personal, Rewards, Flexible Rewards, Travel & Dining and it's back to 50k.

I know OP has had a CSP for over a month, but maybe there was some unusual offer floating around and Chase mixed up its records of who had what?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.