cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred to Lose First Friday Bonus.

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred to Lose First Friday Bonus.

@longtimelurker wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Still a great card due to the Freedom/CSP combo and transfers.  

I just don't see taking the one Friday a way a month is really saving them that much money as one is to assume that is why they are doing it..  At some point although it is still far away, this card isn't going to be desired anymore if they keep slowly nerfing it especially considering it has an AF, granted after the first year.  I plan on keeping it more than a year, but if nerfs as trivial as this keep coming then obviously a downgrade to the no-af sapphire will happen and it will only be their fault as to why I personally chose to make this choice.  As stated it has awhile to go until it gets to that point as it is still my favorite card when I go out, but just sad they keep taking and taking from it especially if they just recently added the 5 card rule which this is one they included in that rule, so you think they would want to keep it their golden CC versus a nerfed to death CC.  This is really a small nerf, but why even bother doing it?

This is where I make an assumption that the CCCs at least look at their data.    I am guessing that they didn't have a meeting and say "OK, what can we nerf that will annoy customers with no real savings to us?"   In other words, Chase probably knows just how much this was costing them, and made the decision that it was significant enough to stop it (and again presumably decided it wouldn't cause too many people to cancel).   

TL;DR: They have the data and know what things costs them, we don't!

Yeah, that was my thought too; do know at some of my gigs over time (including current one) we generally do an office lunch on Friday sometimes I pick up the tab for later reimbursement - I'd certainly have trotted out the CSP on those days for the outsized expense.  It is a little hard to see if I just look at my average restaurant spend over time which on the CSP where the 3% on one day would be 2.03%... hello rounding error.

I suspect with points rewards systems in general people often try to maximize it regardless if they're one of the heavy points accruers or not, so maybe Chase did find something outlandish when they looked at it.

        
Message 41 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.