Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs US Bank FlexPerks Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred vs US Bank FlexPerks Visa

So, I have both of these cards and I have an Excavating business. I know they are not business cards, but they will do for now. Something long term, what is the best option for me? I see FlexPerks have been de-valued in the last couple of years. My biggest purchases are on fuel. I spend appx $2000/month on fuel (which is 2x flex points, or 1 Ultimate Rewards point). The $49 annual fee for US Bank or $95 for Chase... I'm just trying to weigh my options and use a primary card for the business that makes the most sense and gives me the most bang for my buck as far as annual fee and rewards... Any opinions? Pros and cons? Had to call US Bank the other day and wasn't super impressed with the rep i talked to... But could have just been her... I have been searching for days and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred vs US Bank FlexPerks Visa

One UR point can easily exceed 2 flex points depending on redemption. USB is a fixed point value (1.5 CPP) where chase can be fixed (1.25CPP) or variable depending on the redemption. Can you provide some details on how you ideally would like to redeem your rewards ?

I’m not impressed with any banks customer service at the under $500 tier but chase’s Customer service exceeds USB for the most part. There’s definitely things about chase I don’t care for though.

There’s no right or wrong credit card. It varies for everyone and how they plan to redeem their rewards.
If you plan on doing things the simple way and using the portal stick with USB as the point value is higher and it’s 2X instead of 1X.

If you plan to learn a little about transferring miles so that you maximize value. Chase would be the better choice as it’s quite easy to get 2+ CPP for airfare.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP with the volume of one category you will be putting through the FlexPerks card, that is probably a good choice. The redemption is based on tiers for airfare, but if you get an airfare just under a Twitter threshold that is where the good redemption rate is.

Keep in mind FlexPoints do expire after a few years, so it is a program that you want to earn fairly quickly then turn around and redeem.

If you decide to go with UR, you might want to consider getting a Freedom Unlimited. That gets you 1.5UR on everything. The transfer partners would need to be interesting to you or else you get the 1.25c Portal rate. Upgrading to CSR gets you a higher AF, Travel Reimbursement and higher earn rate on dining and travel, then higher redemption rate on Chase Portal.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I would like to mainly stick to the portal. I don’t do a ton of traveling, mostly once or twice per year just to get away from work. I just use my cards to pay all my business expenses and use the points for a once or twice a year getaway with my wife. I’ve never done the points transfer to partners thing with chase to get the 1:1. I’m just keeping it simple. When I have enough points, I will redeem them

Message 4 of 8
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Just stick with the popular ones, Chase and Amex. Forget all the other programs.
Message 5 of 8
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
OP with the volume of one category you will be putting through the FlexPerks card, that is probably a good choice. The redemption is based on tiers for airfare, but if you get an airfare just under a Twitter threshold that is where the good redemption rate is.

Keep in mind FlexPoints do expire after a few years, so it is a program that you want to earn fairly quickly then turn around and redeem.

If you decide to go with UR, you might want to consider getting a Freedom Unlimited. That gets you 1.5UR on everything. The transfer partners would need to be interesting to you or else you get the 1.25c Portal rate. Upgrading to CSR gets you a higher AF, Travel Reimbursement and higher earn rate on dining and travel, then higher redemption rate on Chase Portal.

FlexPerks did away with that tier stuff back in 2017. It’s now strictly 1.5CPP to match the Altitude card. 

OP, if you prefer the portal stick with FlexPerks over chase as the points are worth more when used in the portal and you earn them faster 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Look at the Chase Ink Business Cash - no AF, 2% cash back on 1st $25K per year on gas and restaurants, 5% cash back on office supplies and phone/internet/cable, otherwise 1%, 5/24 rule to apply is in effect but the card itself does not count against the 5/24 rule, $500 SUB after $3K spend in 1st 90 days.     You can choose cashback/gift cards or redeem through the UR travel portal. 

Since you own a legit business fielding questions from a UW should be a breeze.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, great. Thank you! That's kind of what I was leaning towards anyways...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.