Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserve $80K

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve $80K

@GatorGuy wrote:

That is a heck of a limit Aim_High! Like you, my wife and me having being moving to fewer cards since the rotating cards offer such a limited additional benefit and you have to keep track how much you have spent. The CSR is still our number 1 travel card so it would be very nice to have an high CL like that. Probably would make since to close the other "deadweight" cards as you descrbe them and just add it to the CSR. 

However we're still trying to decide if we want to go all in MR vs UR. It just stinks Amex does't have a real high end travel card like the CSR which gives you solid rewards and all the proper insurance as well. 

Thanks, @GatorGuy!  It sounds like we're a little on the same page about overall card strategy. 

I totally agree that the CSR packs a lot more overall "value" that their competitors.  I really appreciate the outstanding travel protections on it, and for me, URs make more sense than MRs, especially after adding in the AFs versus my personal valuation of the offsetting credits.  The AMEX cards can be great for some people, but I think Chase has a more compelling product for the masses.   I did get a Gold card to play with MRs for little while on their website; for my purposes, URs seem a better fit.   I love my AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant and think it packs a lot of value in Bonvoy points for the money, so I plan for it to be my main AMEX presence.   My Gold is up for renewal in August at its' second anniversary, so I'll be looking for any retention offers, better upgrade offers, or favorable changes in the rewards or perks.  Otherwise, I may just close it and move on.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 21 of 27
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High For me MR points are worth more than UR points, however my wife and me travel practically every single month. It is also a huge variety of travel. This is a huge benefit to the CSR over all over travel credit cards because they have such a broad definition of travel. 

In addition to the travel points, they also have solid trip insurance. This is also a very important feature because as anyone who travels enough knows, eventually something will go wrong if you travel often enough. We have used the CSR insurance for more than $16,000 in trip reimbursement, baggage delay, etc. The actual cose of the insurance is not all that high, but buying it on it every trip you go on, does add up so its nice to have it automatically. 

We also fee the same about our Marriot Bonvoy. It is a great card which is very easy to get its money worth. 

Message 22 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Like you, I remember when cash or paper checks was more common payment and credit cards were reserved for larger purchases.  (Most merchants had minimum purchases to even one, and those were often set quite a bit higher than they are today if you even encounter that requirement.)   My monthly card statements would only have a handful of charges, mostly for $15 or more.

Cash and travel rewards programs didn't become prevalent until the late 1980's and 1990's. 

Yes, looks like I got my first "real" rewards card Sep 1990 that paid ONE PERCENT on EVERY PURCHASE!    (I had an Amex Gold in 1987, but don't remember anything about the reward structure, if any, of that).   So, my statements on that card were long, because, like today, may as well get something back from the purchase.   Something costs $5, you get 5c back.   And, in 1990, 5c was real money!  (OK, it wasn't!)

Message 23 of 27
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High 

Congratulations on the chase Cc line increase! 👍

Message 24 of 27
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Amen brother... a fine milestone..I'm right there with you on the consolidation, but $86k is sick!  Way to go. Working towards the same outcome. 

Message 25 of 27
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@Aim_High 

Congratulations on the chase Cc line increase! 👍

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

@805orbust wrote:

Amen brother... a fine milestone..I'm right there with you on the consolidation, but $86k is sick!  Way to go. Working towards the same outcome. 

Thanks @gingerflower and @805orbustSmiley Happy

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 26 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the CL reallocation topic has veered into other commentary unrelated to the reallocation subject (which has been extensively discussed and covered), this thread is now locked and closed to new messages.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.