adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve......

DrZoidberg wrote:

Closingracer99 wrote:

DrZoidberg wrote:

redpat wrote:

donalddickerson2005 wrote:
Creditaddict is right. I try to use my Ritz for hotels only since points are 5 compared to getting 1 or 2 on day to day stuff.
My best UG ever was at St Louis Ritz where I was given the Ritz-Carlton suit ie "presidential suite" that runs 2000 a night. I paid 300 for my night.
The only time I use my Ritz for food is at "fancy" restaurants.
I just hope the CSR is hands down better than the prestige so I won't feel guilty dropping a 35k credit line.

I don't no how it could be better once the sign-up bonus is used up.  It just becomes a 3x and 3x card that needs spend for benefits while the Prestige gives you a 4th night free without needing points or spend.  It also gives you 3x and 2x for the same catagories, so CSR gives 1x more for dining.  So for $50 more cost Prestige still goes on top for the one who keeps their cards.  

CSR portal gives you .25% more in airline purchase through portal 1.50 vs 1.25

Not the same categories. Citi's Prestige 3x is for air and hotel. Chase's 3x is for anything travel related. This includes transportation, parking, etc. 

And these threads are redundant because in the end you will choose because of the travel partners. You don't like Chase UR, don't get it. It's simple. But looking at the cards for the benfits and the earnings, CSR wins. And every blogger agrees. But in the end, it's all up to the card user..........like it's always been.

Bloggers? Meh Because I let some guy behind his screen dictate what is good for me? Sorry nope. The CSR doesn't win otherwise i would app for it ...

I'm glad you don't use a card that doesn't align with the partners you use. It's great you value the benefits over the earnings potential. The CSR isn't geared for folks like you. It's geared to those business travelers who get reimbursed for their travel expenses. Or those 1% who travel a lot on their own. Majority of business travelers couldn't use that 4th night free benefit, that is for personal travelers which are far less than the other. 

But again, it all comes down to personal preferences of the partners you use or your personal spending. 

And sorry Redpat, you can't bring INK into the conversation. It's a business card and is not in the same category. But if that's what you need, by all means.

So, what about a personal traveler who doesn't jet set all over the world, but takes semi-annual trips and already has the Citi Prestige? Would the CSP suffice, or is the CSR worth the $450? I just went to Europe on the Prestige. The benefits I used were the 4th night free, the $250 airline credit, and no transaction fees. I actually had enough TYP for a free night in Paris. I'm strongly considering the CSR because I've always liked the UR point structure and value. The CSP was a dream because of the 5/24 and Chase has been difficult for me to get a Chase card. Now it appears that they relaxed the rules for the CSR. At least I hope that's true. I finally got a foot in the door with the Chase Slate in June. I already have a Chase Marriott.

Message 31 of 38
wachme
Contributor

The way I look at it, for essentially $50 more you can earn 1x more for travel and dining with the CSR than the CSP.

If your spend justifies the $50, then this is a no brainer for most. I rarely hear complaints of CSP's earning potential for those that utilize it favorably.

The fact that we automatically assume it has to also carry perks comparable to Prestige (pre-nerf) or Platinum because they carry the same annual fee is ignoring the bigger picture.

It's almost always about will perks and/or spend justify the annual fee based on your behavior.

Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

PC your CSP to a Freedom or FU, keep a $5k CL on it, and then move the rest to your new CSR...problem solved.

I view these recent CSR approvals as anomalies.  Someone found a working app link and Chase wasn't ready for it.  I don't treat results generated by this situation as absolute...heck, Chase then promptly announced the card via a blogger site which (IMO) seems like a knee-jerk reaction.

But you have to ask, why would the app, if leaked, not have the 5/24 applied? I doub't very seriously that this 5/25 rule and other UW rules weren't in place. After all, its all software. Like I mentioned before, if this was a mistake, why were all the parts workiing? You'd think they'd at least block credit checks, and everything else and just have a landing page that said, "ooops, we're sorry. We're testing. Try again later." Doesn't make sense to leak a fully functional app process that's still under testing or hasn't launched. And then not have UW fully functional. 

I question their readiness based on the fact that they completely shut off applying for the card.  Why tease the card for a few hours then take it away?  All that is left is a half-baked, incomplete "official" announcement on a 3rd party site.  I also question the starting CLs that are being given...I think they are too low for a high-end travel card.  Most appear to be between $10k-$15k.  That may seem to be more than adequate at first glance, but I imagine that the card's target audience would blow through that CL in no time (an international first-class ticket plus a few nights at an upper-tier hotel for example).  I know there are many variables (many of which are unknown to us) but some of the data points just don't compute in my mind.  I am glad that many people got a chance to apply (and get approved) - I will be doing the same and hoping for the same end result.

Message 33 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

At the end of the day I'll apply. Whether I keep it or not will depend on how it stacks up to all the others in its tier. I carry just about all the premium travel cards at this point, and the ones I use the most are the Ritz and the prestige. My Amex plat gets almost no spend except Amex offers and any spend for the 250 airline credit.

The CSR seems like a strong contender in the market, but I feel like Citi (even after the nerf) is the winner here.

If chase was smart, since they have the money, they'd start opening up airport lounges like Amex did.
Message 34 of 38
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
At the end of the day I'll apply. Whether I keep it or not will depend on how it stacks up to all the others in its tier. I carry just about all the premium travel cards at this point, and the ones I use the most are the Ritz and the prestige. My Amex plat gets almost no spend except Amex offers and any spend for the 250 airline credit.

The CSR seems like a strong contender in the market, but I feel like Citi (even after the nerf) is the winner here.

If chase was smart, since they have the money, they'd start opening up airport lounges like Amex did.

I use the Prestige as my main card also. The only thing attracting me to the CSR is the $100k bonus and the UR points being a great value. But Prestige has more benefits as a whole. If you're staying at hotels for $225/night twice a year, which is not hard, the fourth free night practically cancels out the $450 AF and that doesn't even include the $250 annual airline credit. So it's easy to cancel out the AF on the Prestige without even trying that hard. Chase really should have kept that $100 deomstic flight discount. It would have made a stronger case. 

Also, why do AF jump from $95 to $450? Is there no AF in between like $250? $300? Why such a huge jump? 

Message 35 of 38
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I did some minor number-crunching on the CSR for the first 3 months if one applied October 3rd and assuming the same sign-up bonus of 100k UR at that time (which one would imagine it should), and it comes out ahead of $4k spend on a $0 annual fee 5% category card as long as you use all the black and white credits it offers ($300 calendar year travel bonus plus $100 reimbursement of global entry fee), and use points at a minimum for the 1.5% return on travel. I did not include Priority Pass entry since the fee and frequency of usage could vary per location (although I have no clue, never used a lounge before) and per individual, respectively. I also did not take into consideration any spend on the FU or Freedom. Obviously with enough hotel stays one could outweigh this with the Prestige, but I figured this would be food for thought for somebody who spends modestly yet doesn't travel frequently and/or internationally.

Apply October 3rd, giving the user 90 days to spend $4k. This would carry into January 1st, 2017, allowing the cardholder to use the $300 travel credit twice while also racking up spend toward the bonus.

• +$450 annual fee
  • -$600 travel credit
  • -$27 minimum return for 3% spend on the $600 travel through UR portal
  • -$100 global entry fee
  • -$51 minimum return for 1% spend on the rest of the $3400 (which includes global entry plus the $3300 other spend to meet bonus) as long as used toward UR portal travel
  • -$1500 minimum after bonus spend, as long as using it towards UR travel portal
  • Net: $1828

Spend $4k on 5% category on some other card, Net: $200

That's one hell of a difference in net gain, even if one wouldn't normally spend the $100 on something like a global entry fee. You could even argue the sign-up bonus outweighs the potential travel credits if you didn't even want to spend on travel just yet in the first 3 months. Using the method above, you could theoretically keep the card and use it for absolutely nothing else after the bonus spend and $700 in credits within the first 3 months and STILL have a net gain for another four years until the annual fees finally eat away the net gain.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people just don't travel a lot, if at all. Others would rather cash back instead of being forced to redeem for travel. Some don't want to feel pressured to spend $4k in the first 3 months if they wouldn't normally. Others don't like points because it locks them into only couple of travel partners. Some prefer MR or TY since they like those partners better.

To me personally, this card is a winner even for the modest traveler, though obviously your absolute maximum benefit from points may be flying first class to international destinations. I'm just fine redeeming for Gotta Get Away Southwest fares and staying at a Category 1-4 Hyatt or Marriott. If I'm better off using the travel portal to book than transfers to partners, then so be it too. The bonus categories by using CSR and other UR based cards will just make it icing on the cake.

I'll be using this card to book cheaper cruises out of Florida, the Gulf Coast, or West Coast, while also being able to enjoy those locales as a pre and/or post cruise vacation since I will/could be flying and staying at a hotel for free, rather than spending the extra few hundred on the cruise to sail out of much closer, but less enjoyable, NYC. I'll have a honeymoon sometime in the future (2-3 years) as well, so perhaps I could continue to save and save points for a free European trip. Sometimes, you have to think above and beyond numbers and consider your own personal enjoyment benefits too Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 38
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I did some minor number-crunching on the CSR for the first 3 months if one applied October 3rd and assuming the same sign-up bonus of 100k UR at that time (which one would imagine it should), and it comes out ahead of $4k spend on a $0 annual fee 5% category card as long as you use all the black and white credits it offers ($300 calendar year travel bonus plus $100 reimbursement of global entry fee), and use points at a minimum for the 1.5% return on travel. I did not include Priority Pass entry since the fee and frequency of usage could vary per location (although I have no clue, never used a lounge before) and per individual, respectively. I also did not take into consideration any spend on the FU or Freedom. Obviously with enough hotel stays one could outweigh this with the Prestige, but I figured this would be food for thought for somebody who spends modestly yet doesn't travel frequently and/or internationally.

Apply October 3rd, giving the user 90 days to spend $4k. This would carry into January 1st, 2017, allowing the cardholder to use the $300 travel credit twice while also racking up spend toward the bonus.

+$450 annual fee

-$600 travel credit

-$27 minimum return for 3% spend on the $600 travel through UR portal

-$100 global entry fee

-$51 minimum return for 1% spend on the rest of the $3400 (which includes global entry plus the $3300 other spend to meet bonus) as long as used toward UR portal travel

-$1500 minimum after bonus spend, as long as using it towards UR travel portal

Net: $1828

Spend $4k on 5% category on some other card, Net: $200

That's one hell of a difference in net gain, even if one wouldn't normally spend the $100 on something like a global entry fee. You could even argue the sign-up bonus outweighs the potential travel credits if you didn't even want to spend on travel just yet in the first 3 months. Using the method above, you could theoretically keep the card and use it for absolutely nothing else after the bonus spend and $700 in credits within the first 3 months and STILL have a net gain for another four years until the annual fees finally eat away the net gain.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people just don't travel a lot, if at all. Others would rather cash back instead of being forced to redeem for travel. Some don't want to feel pressured to spend $4k in the first 3 months if they wouldn't normally. Others don't like points because it locks them into only couple of travel partners. Some prefer MR or TY since they like those partners better.

To me personally, this card is a winner even for the modest traveler, though obviously your absolute maximum benefit from points may be flying first class to international destinations. I'm just fine redeeming for Gotta Get Away Southwest fares and staying at a Category 1-4 Hyatt or Marriott. If I'm better off using the travel portal to book than transfers to partners, then so be it too. The bonus categories by using CSR and other UR based cards will just make it icing on the cake.

I'll be using this card to book cheaper cruises out of Florida, the Gulf Coast, or West Coast, while also being able to enjoy those locales as a pre and/or post cruise vacation since I will/could be flying and staying at a hotel for free, rather than spending the extra few hundred on the cruise to sail out of much closer, but less enjoyable, NYC. I'll have a honeymoon sometime in the future (2-3 years) as well, so perhaps I could continue to save and save points for a free European trip. Sometimes, you have to think above and beyond numbers and consider your own personal enjoyment benefits too Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wachme wrote:

The way I look at it, for essentially $50 more you can earn 1x more for travel and dining with the CSR than the CSP.

If your spend justifies the $50, then this is a no brainer for most. I rarely hear complaints of CSP's earning potential for those that utilize it favorably.

Well, + some lounge access and a 20% increase in the value of all your URs when used simply for purchases on the UR portal.   Neither of these may be significant for a particular user, but they are part of the value proposition

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.