Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred Pre Approval

tag
FireMedic04
New Contributor

Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred Pre Approval

Whats up guys,

im extremely excited to have gotten these 2 offers from Chase when I logged in yesterday. I've been banking with chase for 12 years and never had a offer from them. I have come a very very long way with my rebuild process.

my question is are any of these worth it? I currently have the chase Flex card. I don't travel much and noticed the two are travel cards. 

doesn't let me upload the offer for the preferred 

7754CAFB-F062-4E14-91C3-53881000CCE4.png

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred Pre Approval

The Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) would be a great complement to your existing Freedom Flex.  It has really good earn rates on dining, online groceries, some streaming services, etc.  Also, the sign-up bonus is slightly better (60k points vs 50k points).  If you later decide you'd prefer the Reserve card, you can always product change (PC) the Preferred to a Reserve after 1 year.

TCL: $401.4k
Message 2 of 28
FireMedic04
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. 

would the chase preferred be preferred over AMEX? 

my end goal would be to get in with Amex. 

Message 3 of 28
DJRobbieD
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic04 wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.  They each have their own benefits.  As you can see in my signature, I have both Amex and Chase cards.  However, if push came to shove, I'd probably chose my Chase cards over the Amex cards for the flexibility of Chase's Ultimate Rewards (UR) program.

TCL: $401.4k
Message 4 of 28
Reviewers
Established Contributor

@FireMedic04 To my understanding, both cards have different starting limits and the different perks listed on the pre-approval. I have my pre-approval through the chase app for every single Chase card and I'm thinking of going with either the CSP/CSR. I'm trying to figure out which route I'd like to go myself. You can always start with the CSP then product change it in the future or vice-versa if I'm not mistaken.

You listed that you don't travel much and the CSR comes with a $595 annual fee so I don't think it would make sense for you. Sounds like the CSP might be better for you.

Message 5 of 28
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

You stated you don't travel much so don't know if these cards are worth it to you. The sapphire reserve is definitely for the heavy travel crowd it has a high annual fee you can offset with travel. Maybe the sapphire preferred might be worth it to you see if any of the transfer partners can be used by you. 

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 6 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic04 wrote:

Whats up guys,

im extremely excited to have gotten these 2 offers from Chase when I logged in yesterday. I've been banking with chase for 12 years and never had a offer from them. I have come a very very long way with my rebuild process.

my question is are any of these worth it? I currently have the chase Flex card. I don't travel much and noticed the two are travel cards. 

doesn't let me upload the offer for the preferred 

7754CAFB-F062-4E14-91C3-53881000CCE4.png

Congratulations on being preapproved for these highly sought after cards.

Unfortunately, they are indeed travel cards, and really do not have a great deal of value except for travel. So you have to figure out if the small amount of travel you do justifies taking on an annual fee.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic04 wrote:

Anyone who's "in with Chase" can easily get "in with Amex". IMHO Chase is much harder to get approved for.

But I can't imagine what Amex card is so attractive to a person who doesn't travel much.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the preapprovals. Those are nice cards, for the right use. 
With those preapprovals now, as long as nothing significant changes in your credit file, they will be there for a while. I would suggest doing a bit of reading to better understand the differences in the cards, and what the benefits are. 

When did you get your Freedom Flex? Because if you are still in the first 12 months grocery benefit, I know for me that makes it challenging to spend for another card SUB. Both CSP and CSR have a spend required to get that bonus. 

Also, the Flex gets the same 3 UR as the CSR, and more than the CSP, for dining, and that's one of the more common categories to consider. In other words, you aren't missing any points in dining by using the Flex for the future. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 28
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on the preapprovals. Personally, I could not justify the Reserve as the annual fee was too high given the benefits I would have been able to avail myself of. I opted for CSP, which offered a much large SUB and much lower AF, and have been pleased with it. One thing I learned when my SO applied for the CSP shortly after I did was that sometimes you can get a better deal going into a branch and speaking to them about applying. My SO received a waiver of the AF for the first year, while I paid that because I did my app online. Just something to consider.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.