Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred Pre Approval

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserved and Preferred Pre Approval

CSP is also 3 URs for dinning.

SUBs are identical when redeemed for travel, due to difference in multiplier. 

Both are good cards if you're planning on travel, but if you aren't, it's a total waste to apply only because you have pre-approval

Yes, SUB is nice and one could go with "sub justifies AF for X number of years" but each year you pay AF for no reason other than "I have CSP/CSR", sub becomes smaller. 

If you do apply, you can always PC to CFF after a year if you're doing it for SUB only, so there is that. 

Message 11 of 28
FireMedic04
New Contributor

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I guess from your perspectives, the cards won't work for me at the moment. I'll just hold off and go back to the garden. 

between the Flex, the discover IT and the Penfed PCR I'm pretty much set. I guess I'm just excited that I'm finally credit worthy to financial institutions lol

Message 12 of 28
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

CSP is also 3 URs for dinning.

SUBs are identical when redeemed for travel, due to difference in multiplier. 

Both are good cards if you're planning on travel, but if you aren't, it's a total waste to apply only because you have pre-approval

Yes, SUB is nice and one could go with "sub justifies AF for X number of years" but each year you pay AF for no reason other than "I have CSP/CSR", sub becomes smaller. 

If you do apply, you can always PC to CFF after a year if you're doing it for SUB only, so there is that. 

The SUBs are identical if you redeem for travel by booking through the Chase Travel Portal, and currently the CSR has a better travel portal than the CSP, but no one knows how much longer that will last.  However many cardholders, like me, transfer UR out to partner programs.  In that case the 10,000 extra UR in the SUB could be a RT flight on SW or two nights in a Hyatt.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 13 of 28
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@DJRobbieD wrote:

@FireMedic04 wrote:

Thank you for your response. 

would the chase preferred be preferred over AMEX? 

my end goal would be to get in with Amex. 

Personally, I wouldn't say one is better than the other.  They each have their own benefits.  As you can see in my signature, I have both Amex and Chase cards.  However, if push came to shove, I'd probably chose my Chase cards over the Amex cards for the flexibility of Chase's Ultimate Rewards (UR) program.

I agree with this. I love AMEX products but Chase UR really makes it easy to use their points, especially with the CSP or CSR

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 14 of 28
FireMedic04
New Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred Pre Approval

Hi guys,

logged into my chase account and saw a pre approval for chase sapphire preferred for $22,000 with a green check mark.

would of never thought in my time rebuilding my credit that I would get an offer like this. 

my question is the card a sought out good card to have? Worth it? I currently have the feeedom flex.

thank you all 

Message 15 of 28
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Pre Approval

It's one of the best, of not the best, of the ~$100/yr AF travel cards but if you don't travel by air/train or stay in hotels much emperically the card won't really do an awful lot for you.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 16 of 28
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

It was my first travel card! It was also my first "Good Credit" card I got in my rebuild in late 2019 as a goal card... and the gateway drug to me getting into heavier products like the Amex Platinum and Gold.

The problem I have with it is that I live at a Delta hub and can't easily use points for flights on transfer parters because most partner flights out of here are multi-leg, and therefore, more expensive than Delta directs. That being said, I'm planning to use it for hotels exclusively now that travel is once again an option.

I do recommend it as a great card to get your feet wet in the travel card space. It's a low entry fee, it has great bonus potential, and if you really like it, take the bigger bonus, sit on it for a year, and upgrade to the CSR.

If you can make the spend for the bonus, I highly recommend it.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 17 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FireMedic04 wrote:

my question is the card a sought out good card to have? Worth it?

The question really shouldn't be if it is "sought out".   Just if the card is a good fit for your needs and will provide value (more so than other choices).

It's certainly got  nice bonus, fairly low AF.   The 3x on dining is already covered by your freedom flex, so the question is whether the 2x on travel, and, more importantly, the ability to transfer points to partners, is something that you want.

But if the spend isn't an issue, probably worth getting for the year for the bonus and see what you think!

Message 18 of 28
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

For me, it was a goal card for a while. I burned Chase in BK7 (but not for much), and it took me 11 years to get back in, but my BK was off my reports and I was rebuilt by that point. I use it as one of my daily drivers to build my UR cache; coupled with my Amex Gold building MR points, I am able to reap some nice benefits, as we travel a good bit. 

If it fits your spend, and you can utilize the rewards, go for it. 

Message 19 of 28
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic04 wrote:

my question is the card a sought out good card to have? Worth it? I currently have the feeedom flex.

thank you all 

>> I remember you had another previous post asking about this card and you stated 'you don't travel much'  this card is setup for the travel crowd. 

now as to your other question are you looking for a card that when you flash it the barista or retail person will swoon I've never seen that response with a csp although it is a metal card and makes a large clang when it's dropped on a hard counter

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.