Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire application woes

tag
robbulous
Regular Contributor

Chase Sapphire application woes

Hello all!

Some background on my credit profile: I had trouble in my early 20's and ended up defaulting on all of my credit, and now, being 28 have brought my score from 500 to 720. My oldest CC's (2) are from 2008 and have perfect payment history.

I am attempting to round out my CC portfolio with a Chase Sapphire card. I app'd for it this past weekend and was given the 7-10 days message online.

I called the recon number and spoke to a guy who was very rude and confrontational, despite myself being calm and cooperative. He told me that he saw that I defaulted on a Chase credit card back in 2005 ($300 limit that somehow charged off for $1300 despite not using more than the $300). He put me on hold and came back and said he couldn't approve me.

A day later I called the recon line back and spoke to a very nice woman who was calm and helpful. I brought up the default and said it was from my college days and I am now in a whole different place financially. She told me the only reason she couldn't approve me is because I had a Chase Amazon card that only had 4 months of history reported.

So my question is: am I being blacklisted by Chase for a defaulted CC from 2005? If so, how did I get the Chase Amazon card 4 months ago?

Should I wait and have great payment history on the Amazon card? If so, how long should I give it before pulling the trigger on the CSP?

Any advice would be helpful. I also just recently got approved for the Discover IT with a $6500 limit, so maybe Chase will like seeing that I can manage a card with a 5k+ limit?

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Chase Sapphire application woes

The CSP has a higher UW criteria than the Amazon Visa so if you have a 'history' with Chase then the pros have to outweigh the cons. Because you were approved for their lower tier cc and you suffered a HP for the CSP you are not blacklisted. Unfortunately, you pulled the trigger too soon. With your highest CL just being approved, a short history with Chase and a prior default -your cons outweighed the pros.

Try again after you've had your Discover for 6 mos. by then the Amazon will be almost a year.
Message 2 of 3
robbulous
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire application woes

Great advice! To the garden I go! Smiley Happy

NPSL.................$30,000............$28,000.............$20,500............$28,000............$80,000............$19,000............$21,300..............$20,500
Current FICO Score Across All 3: 770+..... GOAL: 800+ Current Utilization: 5%....... Infiniti Financial Auto Loan at 1.9%
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.