Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire vs. Preferred

tag
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire vs. Preferred

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
I will let others debate the fair cost of vanity. But the spend thresholds being together around here as the minimum needed to make the card valuable are absurd. You don't need to spend 50k or 100k a year to make the $95 af worth it. It is the fact that the op does not travel to earn OR REDEEM points that makes this a poor choice for him, not the spend. Spending 20k a year on a card that earns between 1.07 and 2.14 points per dollar, that offers an online portal where purchase often earn 5 or more points per dollar and where those points are worth a minimum1.7 cents per point isn't vanity. It's a sound economic choice.

You're correct. It seems like the op just wants to rag on people who have the csp. Classifying them as vain because he card doesn't work for him. I'm sorry you can't see the advantages of a travel card OP. For many of us it is an awesome card for the reasons above and the signup bonus. You may think it's vanity, false swagger, or whatever else but in all honesty it sounds like jealousy. We have the card because it's useful.

P.s. I spend less than 30k a year on it and it is still well worth it as far as travel rewards go.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 41 of 45
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

@Drew wrote:
I think people are investing way too much in a credit card for a false sense of swagger. Someone either has swagger or they don't. I am pretty sure that the most interesting man in the world would agree.

The most interesting man in the world - isn't that the guy from the Dos Equis commercial?

Message 42 of 45
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
I will let others debate the fair cost of vanity. But the spend thresholds being together around here as the minimum needed to make the card valuable are absurd. You don't need to spend 50k or 100k a year to make the $95 af worth it. It is the fact that the op does not travel to earn OR REDEEM points that makes this a poor choice for him, not the spend. Spending 20k a year on a card that earns between 1.07 and 2.14 points per dollar, that offers an online portal where purchase often earn 5 or more points per dollar and where those points are worth a minimum1.7 cents per point isn't vanity. It's a sound economic choice.

You're correct. It seems like the op just wants to rag on people who have the csp. Classifying them as vain because he card doesn't work for him. I'm sorry you can't see the advantages of a travel card OP. For many of us it is an awesome card for the reasons above and the signup bonus. You may think it's vanity, false swagger, or whatever else but in all honesty it sounds like jealousy. We have the card because it's useful.

P.s. I spend less than 30k a year on it and it is still well worth it as far as travel rewards go.

I appreciate your feedback, but you are incorrect. How can I be jealous, if I chose not to apply for the preferred card even though that option was available? I have the Sapphire card, because the Preferred card just seemed pointless during my investigation. I'm aware that there are people on this board who definitely make sufficient purchases and travel expenditures to deem the CSP appropriate; however, there are other cardholders on the opposite side of that spectrum. I have read many posts of people stating incomes that made a CSP card illogical, but they chose to apply for it anyways. It is the sheer vanity of those people that I've vested some interest in.

Message 43 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Drew wrote:

@unc0mm0n1 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I appreciate your feedback, but you are incorrect. How can I be jealous, if I chose not to apply for the preferred card even though that option was available? I have the Sapphire card, because the Preferred card just seemed pointless during my investigation. I'm aware that there are people on this board who definitely make sufficient purchases and travel expenditures to deem the CSP appropriate; however, there are other cardholders on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have read many posts of people stating incomes that made a CSP card illogical, but chose to apply for it anyways. It is those people I've vested some interest in.

I don't wish to assign motives, not enough information!   But in general, getting the CSP just for the bonus makes a lot of sense for almost everyone who can qualify.  The only exceptions are where you are near the margins with inqs or overall CL etc , and getting this card might prevent you getting the one you really want.

Now KEEPING the card and paying the AF is a different manner, but I'm not sure how many of the non-travellers here are doing that, and you see several posts about downgrading, suggesting that is what a lot of people do.   This is basically a free $400 if redeemed in the worst possible way, and it takes a lot of cashback  to make up for that.

I think some of the more expensive Amex cards might be a better target for your observation, this is net plus to everyone!

Message 44 of 45
Drew
Frequent Contributor

You are right @longtimelurker. I'm making an assumption about someone's vanity and that might not be the case for many people.

Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.