Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Signature Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Signature Card

Hi Folks,

My wife added me as an Authorized User to her Chase Signature card. After she added me and I checked my TU report I realized they are not reporting the CC limit but reported the balance which was ~3000. Since my credit score is not the best and my limit was low this hurt my credit score even more.

We decided to use the Chase card for small purchases only ($200 - $500) only. The question I have now is - is TU going to take the largest balance as the credit limit for the Chase card or how are they going to calculate it?

I am worried that the card will hurt my limit/spending ratio and that I might be better of canceling the card.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Signature Card

On Signature cards the highest reported statement balance is the one that shows as the CL on your report.  It's supposedly not impact your score much but YMMV.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 2 of 8
smc733
Valued Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

On Signature cards the highest reported statement balance is the one that shows as the CL on your report.  It's supposedly not impact your score much but YMMV.

This only happens on TU '98 Scoring system IIRC, which almost no one uses anymore.  The balance reports, but it does not factor in to utilization.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

This only happens on TU '98 Scoring system IIRC, which almost no one uses anymore.  The balance reports, but it does not factor in to utilization.

I thought that only applies to charge cards that util is not calculated... on a signature card, the highest balance is your CL and the current balance would calc. util wouldn't?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a Signature card is coded properly when reported, it is not included in utilization calculation. DW has a Chase Signature card - it is completely disregarded by both EQ Fico and TU'98 Fico for utilization ...

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revike - what would you advise me at this point. Should I call Chase and ask them to make sure they report it. Also, when you say "coded properly" what do you mean and how can it be coded properly.

Really appreciate your help!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I expect Chase is reporting correctly. Identifying it as a Signature-type account is internal, probably generated automatically from the account number.

Did you get your TU report through MyFico? Unless you get a report from MyFico AND the utilization percentage is specifically identified as a positive or negative "factor", you may not be able to confirm what percentage is being calculated for your Fico score. Most credit report formats display a utilization percentage that is simply calculated by adding up revolving balances and dividing by total reported CLs. However, that is not necessarily the number used when the Fico score is calculated, which causes a lot of the confusion ...

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I got the TU score from MyFico and the utilization percentage was marked as a negative point.

The highest balance my wife had on that card (or the higest balance that TU reported on Myfico) was $8000. When I was added my wife hade over $3000 on the card. We have decided no to use that card for more than $300 - $500 a month. Do you believe that will help and do you think they are taking the $8000 as the CL?

I am sorry about asking so many questions I just want to make sure if I shold keep the card or if I should call Chase and have them remove my name from the card. At this point I don't feel safe calling them to remove me cause that might hurt my credit even more if they see the $8000 as the CL.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.