cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Signup Bonuses - Manufactured spending?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Signup Bonuses - Manufactured spending?!

Hey everyone, 

I was recently approved for the Sapphire Preferred and Freedom Unlimited last week. Currently I'm a full-time college student, and so all my living/personal expenses (rent, utilities, etc), and tuition are covered by my parents. I realized that I could easily hit the signup bonuses of both cards if I used them to pay the monthly rent for my apartment. Would this be considered manufactured spending if my parents gave me a check/transferred funds to my checking account to cover the rent costs? Any advice would be helpful! 

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Signup Bonuses - Manufactured spending?!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone, 

I was recently approved for the Sapphire Preferred and Freedom Unlimited last week. Currently I'm a full-time college student, and so all my living/personal expenses (rent, utilities, etc), and tuition are covered by my parents. I realized that I could easily hit the signup bonuses of both cards if I used them to pay the monthly rent for my apartment. Would this be considered manufactured spending if my parents gave me a check/transferred funds to my checking account to cover the rent costs? Any advice would be helpful! 

No. If they're going to deposit the money in your account for you so you can pay off the charges, I say go for it

Message 2 of 18
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I used Plastiq and my university's portal to pay for my university housing without a problem. It's not considered manufactured spending.

My university's portal charged around 2.9% and Plasti takes 2.5%, but they usually run promotions 

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 3 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

Paying rent is not MS, is fine for meeting SUB spend requirements.

MS is where you buy cash equivalent items, such as gift cards, then cash them out to try to create a circular funding that never really lands on actual products or services being purchased. Rent is not in that category.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

MS is where you buy cash equivalent items, such as gift cards, then cash them out to try to create a circular funding that never really lands on actual products or services being purchased. Rent is not in that category.

I agree that paying rent, reimbursed by a third party, is going to be fine.

MS is whatever the issuer decides it is, and while the above is a good  MS  definition, some issuers, such as US Bank with the AR, may cut you off at the purchase of a gift card even if you bought it in good faith with no plans to cash out (and to be fair to them, that's probably not the plan!)

Message 5 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

I agree that paying rent, reimbursed by a third party, is going to be fine.

MS is whatever the issuer decides it is, and while the above is a good  MS  definition, some issuers, such as US Bank with the AR, may cut you off at the purchase of a gift card even if you bought it in good faith with no plans to cash out (and to be fair to them, that's probably not the plan!)

Not sure if that applies to all kinds of gift cards or just pre-paid MC/Visa/Amex. I've bought a good number of GCs with the AR for Starbucks, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, etc. All in small-ish denominations -- under $100.

Message 6 of 18
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Can I give you my children's email addresses so you can show them how to act when their parents give them the privileges they get, and all they have to do is their school work? Your parents must be very proud of how responsible you are. I wish my sons could see the chance they are letting slip away. 

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 7 of 18
core
Valued Contributor

I agree with everyone above:  That is not manufactured spending by any stretch of the definition.

If you are going to MS, please do it right. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

I agree with everyone above:  That is not manufactured spending by any stretch of the definition.

If you are going to MS, please do it right. Smiley Happy

Right, but if your parents pay for it all AND let you keep the rewards, better and more risk free than quite a bit of MS!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my Chase to purchase gift cards, moreso with the pandemic as they are using it as financing to get through the loss of revenue, albeit paying 20% returns to the "lender" in form of bonus cards.

I'm shocked it did not trigger fraud on my account, being that its Chase.

Purchased a $50 gift card to Cheesecake Factory in the morning, then in the evening, purchased another $50 card. The next day purchased another $100 gift card in the afternoon, 20 min later another $250 gift card, and then 2 days later, another $50 card, all Cheesecake Factory cards. That should have brought attention to my account.

Last week got a $50 Chilis, and yesterday another $100.

Chase seems fine with it. I will use the cards as intended. Buying Visa cards might not have been OK.

Rent isn't a cash equivalent, so that's more than fine. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.