Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate CLI (Denied)

tag
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Chase Slate CLI (Denied)

I tried to obtain a credit limit increase through reconsideration last week, but I was denied. I received the letter today and it states, "too many active accounts or too much available credit" as the reason for denial. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Slate CLI (Denied)

It just means you have reached the maximum CL threshold chase is willing to extend to you. This threshold changes based upon your account history, income, and CR
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
It just means you have reached the maximum CL threshold chase is willing to extend to you. This threshold changes based upon your account history, income, and CR

Well that can't be true, because I was approved for a Sapphire card two days after that.

Message 3 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

Like I said it changes. I honestly wish I can tell you exactly why but its impossible without knowing the formula they are using to score you. Maybe a new account is scored differently from a CLI or getting CL above a certain number requires something different.

Or maybe they processed the CLI request after you got your sapphire.

Your best answer to your question is to call them and ask. Even then they might not divulge much.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 11
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Drew wrote:

@enharu wrote:
It just means you have reached the maximum CL threshold chase is willing to extend to you... This threshold changes based upon your account history, income, and CR

Well that can't be true, because I was approved for a Sapphire card two days after that.

....on THAT card. 

Chase is more conservative, for whatever reason, with the Slate card than with other cards in their stable.  Even though it's a BT card, they really don't like to see a lot of balances on other cards, when seeking initial approval.  And they are not known for giving out initial CL or CLI in a manner similar to other products, such as the CSP.  Probably has something to do with the limited marketing appeal of that particular card, and it's lack of other benefits. 

Message 5 of 11
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Well, to be perfectly fair, I have less than 10% utilization on all of my cards. I am not sure that the theory about high balances on other cards apply. So, I am still terribly confused about the basis of their decision.
Message 6 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

have you tried calling in yet?
they are the ones who can best explain it to you, if they're willing to.

Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@enharu wrote:

have you tried calling in yet?
they are the ones who can best explain it to you, if they're willing to.

I agree give them a call!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

I would call again! i requested a cli on my 7 month old freedom 5 days ago and finally got it approved from 1k to 5k ....weird thing about it was there was no hard pull!!! I just can never figure chase out ....

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 9 of 11
NCGirl
New Contributor

It may have something to do with your income - available credit. 

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.