Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate Conversion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Slate Conversion?

A few weeks ago Chase pre-approved me for a Chase Freedom Unlimited card with a 6000 CL and 1.5% cashback which is doubled for the first year, plus 0% apr for 15 months -- and no annual fee. I accepted the offer, taking into consideration that 3% cash back and 0% APR for no annual fee was better than the other cards I had. I have a Chase Slate card, which gets no cash back but came with 18 months 0% APR and I had a hefty bill that I needed to make payments on, so I took advantage. I also have a Discover IT card, an AMEX Blue Cash, and an Alaska Airlines Visa. 

Out of nowhere, I just got a letter in the mail indicating that the Chase Slate Card has been converted to a Chase Freedom Unlimited Card...which I already have. 

Am I silly for not wanting two of the same card? Is it worth a call to chase? The Freedom Unlimited does get 1.5% back which is obviously better than the Slate, but having two of the same card seems strange to me. Would it be worth it to see if Chase would convert the "new" Freedom Unlimited Card to a different card? Any perks or disadvantages to that - or would they even consider doing that? 

Just kind of confused right now! 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Slate Conversion?

1st off I would login and make sure you have 2 X CFU now and the letter is valid.

Then maybe just switch one to a CF 5% rotator to get some variety.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to my Chase account online, I still have a Slate and a CFU. The letter did however state that the "new card" would not be sent until mid-June but that I would begin accruing 1.5% cash back immediately even by using the Slate. A few weeks ago I also received word that the "Slate Dashboard" would soon be eliminated, so I'm thinking that between those two things it is a valid letter and that Slate is soon to be out of existence. 

I will look in to the CF. Is Chase usually willing to convert a card? This would close one account and open a new one, right? 

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no closing/opening... it's simply a swap and you retain all of your history.  In most cases the # doesn't even change when you do it.  If you want to start earning the 5% either shoot them a message or give them a call and let them know.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

i only have a $1100 CL on Slate. is that what i will get by changing over to CFU. can a CL increase be requested without a HP pull.

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no closing/opening... it's simply a swap and you retain all of your history.  In most cases the # doesn't even change when you do it.  If you want to start earning the 5% either shoot them a message or give them a call and let them know.

Message 5 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

i only have a $1100 CL on Slate. is that what i will get by changing over to CFU. can a CL increase be requested without a HP pull.

@Anonymous wrote:

No CLI without a HP. It's only a PC. 

Message 6 of 21
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I have received this as well. Some Slate users are being converted to CFU. If you already have a CFU, I would suggest converting it to Freedom. You can also go up and convert to a CSP/CSR if your limit approves it. But both of those have AF's so something to think about prior to PC'ing.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Auto PCed my Slate to a Freedom Unlimited

I woke up today to find that my Slate account is showing up as a Freedom Unlimited card now. No notification yet. Has this happened to others?
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Auto PCed my Slate to a Freedom Unlimited

They have been aggressive to ask me to convert (I did), but I don't think they did that without my permission.

You are sure nobody with access clicked anything to allow this conversion?

Message 9 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase Auto PCed my Slate to a Freedom Unlimited

This is for real and was discussed here very recently.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.