Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate To Be Discontinued

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Slate To Be Discontinued

@bourgogne wrote:

You’re saying that having a card, on their website, that you can apply for that, according to them, is being discontinued and will not result in any approvals is a mistake? Come on, that’s a rookie mistake, not a mistake for a major lending/banking institution. You’re reaching far and hard to defend them. 

you lost me.  are you saying just because they are a big lender/company mistakes should not happen?  not defending them but you are aimed for disappointment in life if your expectations are aligned like this.  .02

It’s not the fact that a mistake happened, it’s the fact of accountability for the mistake. 

Also they could have rectified this situation by running UW for one of their other cards, especially since Freedom and Freedom Unlimited seem to have pretty similar UW standards. 

The problem people have isn’t the fact there was a mistake made but rather how Chase is handling it — or rather isn’t handling it. 

Message 31 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

You’re saying that having a card, on their website, that you can apply for that, according to them, is being discontinued and will not result in any approvals is a mistake? Come on, that’s a rookie mistake, not a mistake for a major lending/banking institution. You’re reaching far and hard to defend them. 

you lost me.  are you saying just because they are a big lender/company mistakes should not happen?  not defending them but you are aimed for disappointment in life if your expectations are aligned like this.  .02

It’s not the fact that a mistake happened, it’s the fact of accountability for the mistake. 

Also they could have rectified this situation by running UW for one of their other cards, especially since Freedom and Freedom Unlimited seem to have pretty similar UW standards. 

The problem people have isn’t the fact there was a mistake made but rather how Chase is handling it — or rather isn’t handling it. 

And the fact that the card that “ doesn’t exist” is STILL on the website.  How long is the untouchable Chase permitted to get their act together?

Message 32 of 83
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I still have a green checkmark for the Slate. Been there over a year.

Message 33 of 83
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

got it.  not to defend them lol but I can think of 2.5 trillion reasons why stuff like this slips through the cracks.  I can only think of a single company who tries to right all wrongs on the spot - amazon. 

Message 34 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

got it.  not to defend them lol but I can think of 2.5 trillion reasons why stuff like this slips through the cracks.  I can only think of a single company who tries to right all wrongs on the spot - amazon. 

Things like this slip through the cracks because banks are too big to care. 

Message 35 of 83
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@patoot10 wrote:

Everybody is arguing about the HP and am just sitting here thinking "Wow, banks are really trying to cut their losses hard"

The point of balance transfers cards is the lender "purchases" your debt from another lender hoping that you won't pay it in full during the promo period and then start charging you interest while you don't default, they are not offering those cards out of the goodness of their heart. The fact that Chase is getting rid of the best balance transfer card on the market tells me that they are done with defaults and that lenders in general are skipping the credit card game since consumers did a pretty good job taking advantage of it.

Comenity continues to send me 18 month BT offers with no transfer fee. I have been using their money for over two years now at no cost at all and I do not use the card for a purchase with a BT on it. Chase is an animal that I dislike even though I have 2 of their cards soon to be 1.

Message 36 of 83
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As far as all the talk on the HP, it appears the product is not available so the least they should be willing to do is recode that HP as a SP and they stay within the law. It is what I would be demanding.
Message 37 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Supervisor assures DW that all products shown on website are available for apps, even tho Slate is on the block, it's still open. Supervisor transfers DW to ?Senior Analyst?, who starts recon process but basically tells her that she already has a Freedom so it's proly not gonna work. Reviews app, asks several more questions, with very long hold times in between. End result, RE-Denied. Told DW she'd get a letter and hung up without further clarification. *Shrug* what ya gonna do...

So why all the responses saying the Slate wasn't available and there shouldn't have been an HP?   From the above, it looks like the Slate IS still (for a while at least!) available, and the denial could be for a valid reason contained in the letter.

Message 38 of 83
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

For example, I "moved" $2k from one card to a different card just last week, simply by charging my rent to the new card and making an equal-sized payment to the old card. I not only avoided the 5% BT fee, but I earned 3% cashback by doing it Smiley Very Happy If everyone else is using that strategy, then BT cards are fairly worthless when compared to a standard 0% intro APR on purchases card, like the Freedom Unlimited.

Wasn't there a thread on this recently?  In earlier times, this could have been (in a derog way!) called the "Yuppie balance transfer".

While it might fit many BTs for forum members, IMO it doesn't fit the case of a "needed" BT.    There, someone has a (very) high balance and a (very) high APR card.   They aren't necessarily doing any more spending, all spare money is servicing the debt.    What's needed here is a simple BT card that allows the high APR debt to be moved to a lower APR card.   There isn't the money (or the charging) to simply move things around in your way.

Message 39 of 83
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Things like this slip through the cracks because banks are too big to care. 

not banks, companies in general.  and sometimes its not a `caring' issue its just one of priorities.  great that we all have a choice, for now, of who we choose to do business with

Message 40 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.