Did you mean: 

Chase Slate To Be Discontinued

tag
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Slate To Be Discontinued

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Supervisor assures DW that all products shown on website are available for apps, even tho Slate is on the block, it's still open. Supervisor transfers DW to ?Senior Analyst?, who starts recon process but basically tells her that she already has a Freedom so it's proly not gonna work. Reviews app, asks several more questions, with very long hold times in between. End result, RE-Denied. Told DW she'd get a letter and hung up without further clarification. *Shrug* what ya gonna do...

So why all the responses saying the Slate wasn't available and there shouldn't have been an HP?   From the above, it looks like the Slate IS still (for a while at least!) available, and the denial could be for a valid reason contained in the letter.

^^^ pretty much this I think, seems like it might be a limbo phase like credit check total, where it worked for some and not others. 

Message 41 of 83
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

You’re saying that having a card, on their website, that you can apply

i for that, according to them, is being discontinued and will not result in any approvals is a mistake? Come on, that’s a rookie mistake, not a mistake for a major lending/banking institution. You’re reaching far and hard to defend them. 

you lost me.  are you saying just because they are a big lender/company mistakes should not happen?  not defending them but you are aimed for disappointment in life if your expectations are aligned like this.  .02

It’s not the fact that a mistake happened, it’s the fact of accountability for the mistake. 

Also they could have rectified this situation by running UW for one of their other cards, especially since Freedom and Freedom Unlimited seem to have pretty similar UW standards. 

The problem people have isn’t the fact there was a mistake made but rather how Chase is handling it — or rather isn’t handling it. 

got it.  not to defend them lol but I can think of 2.5 trillion reasons why stuff like this slips through the cracks.  I can only think of a single company who tries to right all wrongs on the spot - amazon. 

Things like this slip through the cracks because banks are too big to care. 

not banks, companies in general.  and sometimes its not a `caring' issue its just one of priorities.  great that we all have a choice, for now, of who we choose to do business with

True,  have choices and obviously the other Chase card is working just fine for them

Are you suggesting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?  Get mad and cancel?  Put up with whatever because...???  

I get the part where you have s lot of credit with Chase and you're one of their most ardent supporters around here, but none of that gives them right to conduct their business with impunity

When we make a mistake, we pay for 7 years (or 10)

When Chase, or any other lender makes a mistake, the response should not be docile "meh, they are big, move on, nothing to see here"

It's that kind of thinking that gives them power in a first place.

Message 42 of 83
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

True,  have choices and obviously the other Chase card is working just fine for them

Are you suggesting to throw the baby out with the bathwater?  Get mad and cancel?  Put up with whatever because...???  

I get the part where you have s lot of credit with Chase and you're one of their most ardent supporters around here, but none of that gives them right to conduct their business with impunity

When we make a mistake, we pay for 7 years (or 10)

When Chase, or any other lender makes a mistake, the response should not be docile "meh, they are big, move on, nothing to see here"

It's that kind of thinking that gives them power in a first place.

I am not suggesting anything.  not a supporter, just a well satisfied customer - I have the same zeal for amazon, air france, and a number of other outfits.  as a business owner I prioritize my punch list and I often deal with problems based on degree, how much of an impact it makes sets the wheels in motion to respond in one direction or another.  there is a big difference in impact to me between a hp that loses its juice in a year and a missed payment that stays on for 7.  it would be nice if chase had a bk switch like amex does that does not do a pull if one is blacklisted for this sort of thing.  sounds like they are transitioning out of the product but they don't have a switch to toss to just deny the card.  it could also mean that the envelope will tell another story.  reminds me of the hyman roth line, this is the business we've chosen...if chase aa'ed me to death and closed me out completely I would not be happy but the next thought would be their cards, there rules

Message 43 of 83
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

You’re saying that having a card, on their website, that you can apply for that, according to them, is being discontinued and will not result in any approvals is a mistake? Come on, that’s a rookie mistake, not a mistake for a major lending/banking institution. You’re reaching far and hard to defend them. 

you lost me.  are you saying just because they are a big lender/company mistakes should not happen?  not defending them but you are aimed for disappointment in life if your expectations are aligned like this.  .02

It’s not the fact that a mistake happened, it’s the fact of accountability for the mistake. 

Also they could have rectified this situation by running UW for one of their other cards, especially since Freedom and Freedom Unlimited seem to have pretty similar UW standards. 

The problem people have isn’t the fact there was a mistake made but rather how Chase is handling it — or rather isn’t handling it. 

And the fact that the card that “ doesn’t exist” is STILL on the website.  How long is the untouchable Chase permitted to get their act together?

Actually, there's nothing official that states it's been fully discontinued.  I just confirmed with someone that was just approved for it at the branch.  So, the bolded comment may not apply until it's been fully removed from the site and applications no longer being accepted (or auto-declined for those reasons).  This isn't the first time Chase has discontinued or transferred products.  Amtrak was one of those that went to BoA and the Marriott/Bonvoy Business CC was the most recent discontinued one.

So, it's fairly possible that the representative who spoke to OP's DW was misinformed since it's likely the product is slowly being phased out.

Message 44 of 83
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry everyone I've been offline for a while. So DW called in for recon, presuming that there was a HP and not wanting to waste it. And yes, the card isn't that great, but DW wanted it for 0 BT offer since planning on remodeling soon. The CSR told her that the app was auto-declined by system due to it soon to be discontinued. She Explicitly asked, 3 times, if there was an inquiry done. CSR EXPLICITLY told her that there was NOT. *Checks EX CR and alerts* 1 new inq JPMChase bank WTH?
So she calls back and explains to CSR, who tries to brush it off as discontinued until DW tells her what previous CSR told her. "That's definitely feedback, let me get my supervisor". Supervisor assures DW that all products shown on website are available for apps, even tho Slate is on the block, it's still open. Supervisor transfers DW to ?Senior Analyst?, who starts recon process but basically tells her that she already has a Freedom so it's proly not gonna work. Reviews app, asks several more questions, with very long hold times in between. End result, RE-Denied. Told DW she'd get a letter and hung up without further clarification. *Shrug* what ya gonna do...

@Anonymous, thanks for chiming back in.  Once DW receives the letter (and if you don't mind sharing the content) this can serve as a good DP based on what the initial representative stated and the decline reason(s) provided.

Message 45 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm back. Thanks to everyone for their opinions and keeping it FSR Smiley Wink +100 @Remedios' posts Smiley Happy To DW and I, CC's are tools. All are suited to different specific tasks/situations/purposes, and inq's are the price we pay for those tools. However, this is like buying organic black Angus grassfed NY strip steak @ $3/lb and then realizing it's spoiled AND it's bone-in chicken + you lost your receipt :/ @Finstar will post once letter received
Message 46 of 83
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:
As far as all the talk on the HP, it appears the product is not available so the least they should be willing to do is recode that HP as a SP and they stay within the law. It is what I would be demanding.

Yes chase will recode HP as SP have had them do it before had to get the EO involved, but they listened to a conservation and the CSR was proven wrong on something and they agreed to recode it, I don't see this being really any different.

edit: also slate isnt the best BT card out there either from another comment.  A few others that are better

Message 47 of 83
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm back. Thanks to everyone for their opinions and keeping it FSR Smiley Wink +100 @Remedios' posts Smiley Happy To DW and I, CC's are tools. All are suited to different specific tasks/situations/purposes, and inq's are the price we pay for those tools. However, this is like buying organic black Angus grassfed NY strip steak @ $3/lb and then realizing it's spoiled AND it's bone-in chicken + you lost your receipt :/ @Finstar will post once letter received

a few things;  ot / organic black Angus grassfed NY strip steak @ $3/lb - if you are talking prime there is no way, this is a pipe-dream of an example lol

Try (800) 493-3319 and see if that will give you a better result.  call m-f

Message 48 of 83
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

a few things;  ot / organic black Angus grassfed NY strip steak @ $3/lb - if you are talking prime there is no way, this is a pipe-dream of an example lol

Try (800) 493-3319 and see if that will give you a better rusult.  call m-f

When someone makes a typo and gets corrected with another typo Smiley LOL

Thank you for the laugh, I really needed it today 

Message 49 of 83
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Try (800) 493-3319 and see if that will give you a better result.  call m-f

When someone makes a typo and gets corrected with another typo Smiley LOL

Thank you for the laugh, I really needed it today 

I am going to germany and I have been practicing drinking german beer all night, where is my typo lol?

Message 50 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.