cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate pre-approval letter, but no offers avail on pre-qual site?

tag
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Chase Slate pre-approval letter, but no offers avail on pre-qual site?

Hi everyone - I'm in the garden but my husband is not.

He's rebuilding, and just got a letter offering up a Chase Slate card. The letter says "pre-approved offer" (not pre-qual), and quotes a single APR, not a range. 

And yet, when we go to Chase's pre-qual site, it says there are no offers.

So how solid is this?

We're a PIF family, so we have no balance to transfer and no plans to use the 15-month 0% interest feature. This otherwise useless card would basically be entree into Chase with a PC to the Freedon after a while, OR if he gets a separate Freedom at some point, a balance-combination.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Slate pre-approval letter, but no offers avail on pre-qual site?

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

He's rebuilding, and just got a letter offering up a Chase Slate card. The letter says "pre-approved offer" (not pre-qual), and quotes a single APR, not a range. 

So how solid is this?

We're a PIF family, so we have no balance to transfer and no plans to use the 15-month 0% interest feature. This otherwise useless card would basically be entree into Chase with a PC to the Freedon after a while, OR if he gets a separate Freedom at some point, a balance-combination.

You can get the Slate Card and then product change to one of the Freedom Cards.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

So how solid is this?

You can get the Slate Card and then product change to one of the Freedom Cards.

True but there really isn't any underwriting differences between the Freedom cards and the Slate.  So if @BurgeoningHope's husband is more interested in those cards, then he should just apply for them outright.

Message 3 of 14
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice! The question/concern I have about the Freedom is that it's an offer for a Slate that is sitting here on his desk, not a Freedom. I'm afraid to suggest he go for the Freedom and get declined. Would that cause Chase to withdraw their offer?

Message 4 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

Thanks for the advice! The question/concern I have about the Freedom is that it's an offer for a Slate that is sitting here on his desk, not a Freedom. I'm afraid to suggest he go for the Freedom and get declined. Would that cause Chase to withdraw their offer?

Not sure, but I would accept the pre approved offer and then pc the card to a Freedom.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

You can follow any path you want but he could be declined even with the mailer.  The Freedom cards are no harder to get approved for than the Slate. fFar too often people are guided by preapprovals to apply for cards that they don’t need.  They aren’t guarantees and if he meets the credit requirements for the Slate, he meets them for the Freedom cards.  If you were talking about the CSR, that would be different but you’re not.  If I relied on preapproval I would have no cards instead of 30+. You’d be far better to gives his credit scores and other data and ask if people think he would be approved for the Chase cards.

Message 6 of 14
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You’d be far better to gives his credit scores and other data and ask if people think he would be approved for the Chase cards.

Good point, but he's traveling and I don't know all of his exact scores. He'll be back tomorrow. Last I knew, his scores are in the mid 600s, depending on what we're looking at. His Fico 8 per Disco sits at 648, 1 inq, 2% util

Message 7 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

So how solid is this?

Chase's preapprovals are reputed to be solid.  But I would not apply for a Slate card if that's not the card he would want. It's better to keep your powder dry with Chase, in view of their 5/24 rule.

The optimum way to find out what he's preapproved for is for him to stop in at a branch and see if he has any preapprovals.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say pre-approved is a solid approval. Like the card is already printed and just waiting to be mailed upon application.

I had a slate for a little while and it was pivotal in my building credit venture. I later product changed to freedom.

I would not try for a rewards card if he is being offered a basic card. 

Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 14
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say pre-approved is a solid approval. Like the card is already printed and just waiting to be mailed upon application.

I had a slate for a little while and it was pivotal in my building credit venture. I later product changed to freedom.

I would not try for a rewards card if he is being offered a basic card. 

Hope this helps!

It did, thank you, and thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Here's the followup:

Checking his account, there were no little green checkmarks, and the "check for my offers" function was dry. Still, there was that letter...

So we went to a branch today, hoping for some idea whether he should even try, and if he tried and failed, whether that would ruin his chances with the Slate. I was concerned about trying for the rewards if approved for just the Slate.

We sat down with the Chase rep, where it was revealed he was pre-approved for Slate, Freedom, or Freedom Unlimited! He chose Freedom, got the bonuses that were absent with the Slate, and even got a reasonable starting credit line. He's over the moon - he's in with Chase!

Again - thank you for the input!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.