Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate vs: Chase Freedom Cards

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Chase Slate vs: Chase Freedom Cards

What is the appeal of the Chase Slate card vs the Freedoms?  All three come with 0% balance transfer and purchases for 15 months.

So once the 15 months are up, of what use is the Chase Slate?  At least the Freedoms give you an opportunity to earn rewards/cash back

after the 15 month period.

Am I missing something here?  What's the appeal of the Slate?  Why would somebody choose Slate over the others?  I could see the appeal

if the Slate had maybe 24 months 0%. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Slate vs: Chase Freedom Cards

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

What is the appeal of the Chase Slate card vs the Freedoms?  All three come with 0% balance transfer and purchases for 15 months.

So once the 15 months are up, of what use is the Chase Slate?  At least the Freedoms give you an opportunity to earn rewards/cash back

Am I missing something here?  What's the appeal of the Slate?  Why would somebody choose Slate over the others?  I could see the appeal

Yea I have never understood the positioning of the Slate within Chase's card offerings, although I used to remember that the Slate did offer longer 0% terms, maybe that has changed recently. Another appeal was the free credit score. Interesting tidbit, the Slate is the only card that Chase offers that is never issued as a Visa Signature.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 15
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

Well, you're missing one glaring feature the Slate offers over the other Chase cards: Slate is the only one that also has a $0 BT fee (first 60 days). All the other cards charge a 5% fee to transfer the balance. This can save you hundreds of dollary-doos if you're transferring a large balance. 

Slate is purely a BT card. After you've paid the balance, you're better off PC'ing it or moving the limit to another card. 

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had any of these Chase cards, but my understanding was always that the Slate was "better" for balance transfers.  I always thought this was because the Slate offered a longer 0% period.  However, if you are saying that the Freedom offers the same exact intro 0% term, there isn't much point to the Slate.

The only other thing I can think could be a factor is that the Slate may be easier to acquire.  If it's easier (generally speaking) to get approved for Slate over Freedom, that could be a reason that people decide to app for that product over the other.  I don't know if this is the case though, just throwing out another idea to consider.

Message 4 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never had any of these Chase cards, but my understanding was always that the Slate was "better" for balance transfers.  I always thought this was because the Slate offered a longer 0% period.  However, if you are saying that the Freedom offers the same exact intro 0% term, there isn't much point to the Slate.

The only other thing I can think could be a factor is that the Slate may be easier to acquire.  If it's easier (generally speaking) to get approved for Slate over Freedom, that could be a reason that people decide to app for that product over the other.  I don't know if this is the case though, just throwing out another idea to consider.

As DeeBee says, the key thing is the initial no BT fee.   This has made Slate the first choice for those needing a big BT (and often disappointment as the Slate doesn't always offer big enough starting limits).  

But it is a strange card, once the BT is complete (or the eligible period has gone) it is a fairly useless card, just asking for a PC

Message 5 of 15
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another odd thing about the Slate is that even though is it easy to get, it is bound by 5/24, which makes no sense at all since it has no UR structure.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep it's the 0% BT.
Message 7 of 15
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Discover2016 wrote
Another odd thing about the Slate is that even though is it easy to get, it is bound by 5/24, which makes no sense at all since it has no UR structure.

That was my next thought, why is the Chase Slate bound by the 5/24 rule, if it has zero rewards structure.  

The original purpose of 5/24 was to slow down churners.  There's nothing to churn with the Slate! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 15
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is an interesting point. If one would NEED a balance transfer card, that would indicate that one is carrying a balance somewhere.

Theoretically, this would indicate score suppression under the Fico algorithm. Under that framework, you could theorize the underwriting criteria for the Slate should make allowances for such approvals. If it does NOT, it would render the Slate a Catch-22 situation. 

Any Slate approval data points to compare against the Freedoms??

Message 9 of 15
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:

This has made Slate the first choice for those needing a big BT (and often disappointment as the Slate doesn't always offer big enough starting limits).  

Again, this would make it somewhat useless! What a strange little card!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.