Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Slate

tag
0x47
Contributor

Chase Slate

Has anyone recently applied for a Chase Slate credit card?  Any experience on how much of a credit line they offer to new customers?  We're still trying to pay down a big chunk of credit card debt (~started at 19K at the beginning of the year and we're at ~9K now), and the credit line's introductory APR is expiring soon (so we're looking at 11.5% instead of 1.9%).

I've read that Chase Slate has 0% for 15-months and I'm hoping we have a chance of applying and getting a credit line large enough to make a sizeable dent in interest charges.  But if I'm going to burn a hard inquiry and only get a $1K credit line that really isn't going to help.

I have a $5K credit line with Chase already but a Sapphire card.  Any idea if I could "transfer" the credit limit to a new card if I apply for a new one?  Also if they offer a really low CL is there a way I can not accept the "offer" and just take the inquiry hit without taking the new credit line hit?

Any thoughts?  FICO is 756 now.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Slate

anecdotally, I had a $16k freedom and applied in 2011 for Slate and they gave me $8,000.  The %0 Transfer fee is sweet, too.

Also, I recently rolled it into my Freedom and cancelled the Slate.  But I cannot confidently say they would do that for a %0 card.  Maybe call and request.  idk.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 2 of 18
0x47
Contributor

By "rolled" do you mean the credit line no longer shows up on your FICO report?  Or just that you closed the card and moved the $8K CL over to the $13K card (and FICO reports your old Slate as closed)?

Message 3 of 18
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

I might have been loose with the language, so I'll square it away.

I emailed a request asking if I could move the $8000 to the Chase Freedom, and then immediately close the Slate.

They said they could.

I said, lets do it.

The next day I looked online and sure enough, Slate was closed and Freedom cl was $8k higher

I have not looked at a Credit Report since.

I imagine I could have transferred some, and kept both cards.  But I see how my example may not be specifically applicable

ETA:  I would be surprised if the Slate is not on the Credit Reports for several more years, as closed.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 4 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think you can app for Slate. If not approved or the CL is too low- you can ask to move cl over. You may have to call recon tho.
I, however, am willing to bet you get instantly approved assuming your aaoa is 2+ years, and your util is overall relatively low@30% or less.
Let us know how it goes!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 18
vladrad
Contributor

I think You will get 3.2k

I have chase freedom 5k and just got chase slate on 3.2k.

Citi "Diamond Preferred" (1k), Bank of America (12k), Capital One - secured (0.7k), AMEX Green - (5k), Chase Freedom (4.5k), Chase Slate (3.2k), Discover (3,75k), Chase Explorer (19k), Oldnavy (2.2k), Chase Amazon (3k), Orbitz Rewards (8k), Citi Double Cash (10,4k),
Message 6 of 18
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@0x47 wrote:

Any experience on how much of a credit line they offer to new customers?

All depends on one's credit.

@0x47 wrote:

Also if they offer a really low CL is there a way I can not accept the "offer" and just take the inquiry hit without taking the new credit line hit?

Nope.  HP hits when you apply, not when you activate.  The HP probably isn't as big of a hit as AAoA anyway.

@0x47 wrote:

Any thoughts?  FICO is 756 now.

As always, it's not just about the score.  What's your utilization like? 19K to 9K sounds like a significant improvement.

Message 7 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1@takeshi
We need:
Aaoa:
Util:
Income(if you're comfy providing that):

Other ccs and limits.
This is what creditors look at and how we can make a recommendation.

Bc if you owe $9,000 out of $10000 avail, may not get approved.
However, if you have more avail credit, say $50k or $100k, that 9k doesnt look so bad.
This is why it's great to have phat, unused credit lines :-) lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 18
WEShinego
Established Member

I applied last night for Slate and got the 30-day message. They pulled Experian, which bummed me out, because it's my worst score at 660 FICO. I followed forum advice and called the recon number the following morning. My application denial was reversed and--after a handful of questions--I received my approval. The customer service experience was excellent. All of Chase's representatives were polite as they listened to what I had to say.

- I have a checking account with Chase.
- I have a Chase Military Free Cash Rewards MasterCard.
- I have three smaller collections that were satisfied about two-three years ago.
- I told the recon officer that I was interested in growing my relationship with Chase because of their military-friendly products.
Message 9 of 18
0x47
Contributor

My overall count of credit lines is $50K (the last card I applied for gave us a $22K line with 1.9% for a year to help us consolidate my wife's debt and my debt), so utilization is about 20%.  AAoA is floating around 4.5 years (I haven't recalculated it with the new mortgage and auto loan) and two incomes put us over $100K (big increase with a major job change).  Its a little mind boggling how many changes have happened this year.

The biggest drag on our reports would probably be the new mortgage (yay!) and the new auto loan (not so yay!).

With the exception of that $22K CL, I have 5 other CLs for which three are store cards and they range from $4K to 8K limits.  The auto loan and one $5K CC are accounts with Chase.

I'll probably go through the application process tonight so that we can have the balance transferred in a few weeks (their website states 2 weeks for a transfer), and I figure it might take a few days more for recon or moving credit limits around.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.