Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Southwest Rewards Card - Denied

tag
notoriousrod
Regular Contributor

Chase Southwest Rewards Card - Denied

I recently got letter in the mail inviting me to apply for a Southwest Rewards Visa card through Chase. I applied online and got the message that it would take 7-10 days for them to decide.

I call the backdoor # and ask about my application and they mention that it's been denied. Reasons for denial are my baddies from 4 years ago and recent inquiries.

My badies are from 2007 ... but since then there have been no deliquent payments of any sort. Sine then I've established one new credit line with my credit union with no late payments for the year I have had it.

So the lady mentioned my badies and I explained to her that, it happned during the time of a divorce and since then I've yet to have a late payment.

She also mentioned they'd like to see new credit lines with good payment history and I explain that I have one new CL with my credit union and have had no payments. And the reason for the inquiries is to open new lines of credit and to build new solid history of credit.

I mentioned to the lady that I applied about a year ago and they denied me for my baddies and they mentioned they'd like to see another year or so of good payment history. I figure a year has passed and I've been very good with my credit.

It's frustrating to go through this ... but I know it's my own fault for my actions in 2007.

Should I follow up with another call to the recon # or maybe write a letter?

Or should I suck it up and not apply for credit and just do my thing for another year or so.

My credit score is TU -714/EX - 710

--------------------------------

01/18/09-Exp-632/Trans-610/Eq-576

06/30/09-Exp-647/Trans-629/Eq-621

07/17/09-Exp???/Trans-???/Eq-635

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Southwest Rewards Card - Denied

How many recent inquiries do you have? How many of them are <6 months old and how many are 6-12 mo?

What other credit card accounts do you have at this time? How old is your credit card with your CU?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 17
notoriousrod
Regular Contributor

Actually the only inquiries that are on there are for a mortgage prequlification. The last time I applied for a card was back in June /2010.

My only other active credit cards are BofA which I've had for many many years. No lates for the last 3 1/2 years. I also have a Macy's account and haven't have a late on there since 2005. My credit card with my CU is little more than a year old with no lates.

Should I call the recon line and mention my inquiries are only for a prequal for a mortgage loan?

Message 3 of 17
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Chase, CITI...to name a couple of banks who do not like any baddies. Your credit score is great...but that baddie will hurt you in obtaining credit with a prime bank or getting a generous CL.

Is your baddie PIF? Settled? or still in collection on your CR?

Message 4 of 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

@notoriousrod wrote:

Actually the only inquiries that are on there are for a mortgage prequlification. The last time I applied for a card was back in June /2010.

My only other active credit cards are BofA which I've had for many many years. No lates for the last 3 1/2 years. I also have a Macy's account and haven't have a late on there since 2005. My credit card with my CU is little more than a year old with no lates.

Should I call the recon line and mention my inquiries are only for a prequal for a mortgage loan?

Yes, I would recon again and explain that the inquiries are all for mortgage and offer to show documentation if needed. You can easily explain the lates with divorce thing.

You may want the analyst to consider you for a freedom with $100 cashback offer if he/she is not comfortable with approving southwest (which is a visa signature)

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 17
notoriousrod
Regular Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

Is your baddie PIF? Settled? or still in collection on your CR?

The credit analyst said it was  a charge off but I ended up paying that credit card off in full with them directly and not through a collection agency. there was no settlement whatsoever.

Message 6 of 17
notoriousrod
Regular Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

Yes, I would recon again and explain that the inquiries are all for mortgage and offer to show documentation if needed. You can easily explain the lates with divorce thing.

You may want the analyst to consider you for a freedom with $100 cashback offer if he/she is not comfortable with approving southwest (which is a visa signature)

So it's okay to call back a second time for recon? I've never thought of calling a second time. I figure they're say we told you earlier .... kind of story.

Message 7 of 17
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

If that one baddie was a CO and you PIF, I would try to ask the OC to pull back the report to the CA. That baddie is preventing you from getting new CC IMHO and since you paid it off, I would start sending out GW letters to get that baddie remove.

Message 8 of 17
smc733
Valued Contributor

Call the executive offices number in the Backdoor thread.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 17
notoriousrod
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Call the executive offices number in the Backdoor thread.

Wow? Really? I've never gone that far ... just say the same thing I would say when calling a recon #.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.