Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trifecta Concern

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Trifecta Concern

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn’t realize how versatile the $300 travel credit was. Thought it was just for airline incedentals but it’s for literally everything travel. That makes sense.

Yeah its a very broad category.  I actually used up my $300 credit in my first month without a single flight.

Here are purchases that Chase counts as travel:

• Airlines
  • Hotels
  • Motels
  • Timeshares
  • Campgrounds
  • Car rental agencies
  • Cruise lines
  • Travel agencies
  • Discount travel sites
  • Passenger trains
  • Buses
  • Taxis
  • Limousines
  • Ferries
  • Toll bridges and highways
  • Parking lots and garages
Message 11 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loans in Forbearance and New Credit Cards

Just got my score over 700 (714) and didn’t open new credit cards for two years with the intent of getting the top travel rewards cards available.

I have 1 30 day from 5 years ago but my credit util is under 10%. I paid a private student loan in full this month and owe the feds $160k. The loans are in forbearance because I had some hefty medical expenses the past two months. I didn’t want to drain my emergency fund for it so I put the loans on ice and have been paying the interest. My income is $80k and put 15% towards my 401k so I can retire early. Currently 36.

My concern is would the high amount of student loan debt spook lenders for credit cards even though everything else is ok?

<mod note: @Anonymous I've moved this post into your existing thread as the post is essentially the same as the one you began this thread with.  Please refrain from starting multiple threads on the same topic as it can cause confusion and is against the ToS here on myFICO.  Thank you. - KiB>

Message 12 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’ll be a nice chunk off my EZ Pass bill.
Message 13 of 49
BPebbles
Frequent Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous any reason to choose CSP over CSR?  After the easy-to-use $300 travel credit, the difference in AF is only $55 and you get a lot for that $55, including 50% more earnings on travel and restaurant purchases and 20% more value if you redeem for travel in the UR portal.

+1

Fact is if you're really doing anything besides chasing the SUB, fact is CSR > CSP for virtually everyone who can justify getting the Trifecta at all.

Just doesn't take long to break even on the AF difference, and the travel credit applies to so many things I find it nearly absurd how much of my life falls under travel spend for the full bonus.

So true!!  If the travel credit was $500 or $600 on the CSR, I could hit that annually.  Chase's "travel" categories are very generous and the best thing is that they credit automatically!!

Message 14 of 49
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
That’ll be a nice chunk off my EZ Pass bill.

Yup.

Airbnb and ride-sharing too, and mass transit of all stripes.  Literally my entire week up in the Bay Area for work next week, is going to be bonus categories, even the bank heavily subsidized cafeteria flags as dining.

It's just really an astonishingly good card in general but for me it's pretty much the only card I'd have if only allowed one.

        
Message 15 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that’s terrific. What a great card. Now I’m even more stoked.
Message 16 of 49
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: SPG or Chase Trifecta?

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to add those cards to wallet soon but not sure where to start. The only thing stopping me from going CSR first is the current offering for the SPG Amex. SPG points are super valuable and I’m planning on going away in April. I already have Delta miles to cover my airfare but after I use my miles is when I’ll use UR. Not sure if getting the SPG card first makes sense though.

SPG has changed as part of the Marriott merger. I'm certainly not the most up-to-date person on the changes, but if you see a 100k offer I expect that would be in terms of new points (I believe worth 1/3 of old points).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I want to add those cards to wallet soon but not sure where to start. The only thing stopping me from going CSR first is the current offering for the SPG Amex. SPG points are super valuable and I’m planning on going away in April. I already have Delta miles to cover my airfare but after I use my miles is when I’ll use UR. Not sure if getting the SPG card first makes sense though.

SPG has changed as part of the Marriott merger. I'm certainly not the most up-to-date person on the changes, but if you see a 100k offer I expect that would be in terms of new points (I believe worth 1/3 of old points).

Yup thats correct, SPG cards now earn Marriot points.  These points have 1/3 the value. They did increase the total amount of points you earn, but at the end of the day youre still looking at a 33% reduction in return compared to the old system.

Message 18 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the new evaluation of SPG points is it worth getting any co-branded hotel card?

Message 19 of 49
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With the new evaluation of SPG points is it worth getting any co-branded hotel card?

If you mostly earn UR points, then there's a reasonable case for a Hyatt card.

The $75 Hyatt card is closed to new apps, though. The $95 Hyatt card is pretty decent as a primary card for someone who wants simplicity and can reach elite status with the elite credits...but the added features that come with the extra $20 may not be worthwhile for trifecta spenders. The renewal night is still fairly flexible, though.

Other hotel programs may have worthwhile cards, but (Marriott with very elite status possibly excepted) none can really be fueled as efficiently with URs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.