Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trifecta do I need it?

tag
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Chase Trifecta do I need it?

Chase Trifecta do I need it since I am an authorized user on my wife's Chase Trifecta & IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card. I am far way over 5/24 Chase rule.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Trifecta do I need it?

Only if your spend justifies it I suppose. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:
Chase Trifecta do I need it since I am an authorized user on my wife's Chase Trifecta & IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card. I am far way over 5/24 Chase rule.

No one can give you a meaningful answer without more information.

Can you give us a breakdown of your annual spend?

E.g.

Airlines: $1234 per year, mostly United and a little JetBlue

Hotels: $1234 per year, mostly Hilton where I have Diamond status

Dining: $12345

Supermarkets: $4321

Other: $12345

What other cards do you have?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Once again (my recent rant) there is NOTHING SPECIAL about "trifecta" in the credit card space.  Depending on your needs, you might equally benefit from 0, 1,2, 4 or more cards from a particular issuer.   And it's not even well-defined.  With chase, is it, CFF/CFU/CSP or CFF/CFU/CSR or does some ink card get added?   Evaluate each card as to what value it would add to your set, rather than going for some almost marketing term like Chase Trifecta ("Almost" as Chase doesn't use it, just credit card forums!)

Message 4 of 17
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Once again (my recent rant) there is NOTHING SPECIAL about "trifecta" in the credit card space.  Depending on your needs, you might equally benefit from 0, 1,2, 4 or more cards from a particular issuer.   And it's not even well-defined.  With chase, is it, CFF/CFU/CSP or CFF/CFU/CSR or does some ink card get added?   Evaluate each card as to what value it would add to your set, rather than going for some almost marketing term like Chase Trifecta ("Almost" as Chase doesn't use it, just credit card forums!)

Thanks!  I was going to ask, "What is the Chase trifecta?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need to apply for cards which provide no tangible benefit to one's financial bottom line.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 17
markbeiser
Established Contributor

"Need" would be a strong word.
If you have a lot of spend on air travel and hotels, and are into actively managing where you move your points around to maximize multipliers with Chase transfer partners, it can be beneficial.

I don't spend enough on travel, or have the willingness to juggle points around, so it is definitely not for me.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 6 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AyaMai wrote:

No you don't need it. No one "needs" it. It's just a shorthand for having 3 cards that feed into Chase's UR rewards system.

And if you did "need" it, it wouldn't matter, since you're "way over 5/24 Chase rule".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

This ^^^^

Oh @longtimelurker, but what about a 'quadfecta' or 'quinfecta' if we add LTL Bank's super-duper CCs into the mix? Wouldn't that make it the superfecta of all things CC? 🫢

Message 8 of 17
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your responses, I learn a lot from different views when it comes credit cards. From FICO forums & Reddit comments is that I would get the cards in future it would be for SUB & extra credit line. 

Message 9 of 17
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thanks!  I was going to ask, "What is the Chase trifecta?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need to apply for cards which provide no tangible benefit to one's financial bottom line.

You just have to determine if the cards in the "trifecta" DO provide benefit to you. I use the CSP, CFF, and CFU, and I determine which one to make each purchase with. Each of those cards provide a benefit that I find useful, and it is great that I can pool their points together.

On one hand, I like knowing that I'm maximizing my earning potential within a single point ecosystem. On the other hand, I hate choosing the incorrect card and missing out on extra points.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.