Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Trifecta do I need it?

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Trifecta do I need it?

If I were to do a trifecta with the chase cards I would go with these 3.

Freedom Flex: 3x dine/3x drug/5x rotator 

Saphire Preferred: 3x online grocery/Transfer partners

World of Hyatt: Valuable Free Nights/Ocassional 5x/10x spend bonuses.

The goal for me is to flow those Chase points over to Hyatt but I've earned so much Hyatt that I've never been below 90,000 since I hit the SUB. One year I placed 15,000 on the WoH as a daily driver for the second free night.

The only advantage of the CSR is if you plan to purchase a lot of travel with the 10x multipler. If you are just moving your points to travel partners there is no real advantage to it. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 11 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

The goal for me is to flow those Chase points over to Hyatt but I've earned so much Hyatt that I've never been below 90,000 since I hit the SUB. One year I placed 15,000 on the WoH as a daily driver for the second free night.

The only advantage of the CSR is if you plan to purchase a lot of travel with the 10x multipler. If you are just moving your points to travel partners there is no real advantage to it. 

CSP has definitely been improved, but CSR has stronger protections, and that extra point (3x vs. 2x) on "all other travel" can add up.

Plus CSR gives more points on Lyft than CSP, Priority Pass, etc.

But CSP has no AU fee which is good.

For my Amex/BofA-focused setup, I'd probably SUB chase CSP sooner than CSR.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 17
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

CSP has definitely been improved, but CSR has stronger protections, and that extra point (3x vs. 2x) on "all other travel" can add up.

I guess I'm wondering where are you going to take advantage of that 3x on travel vs. 2x on the CSP.

The 10x through the chase portal buying rental cars I get but you have to spend that out vs. redeeming points.

CSR I think is best if you don't do hotel cards or transfer partners and want to concentrate on the Chase Travel Portal. There are other benefits like lockout service with the CSR but I'd prefer just to keep my AAA card and deal with them instead of Chase. Hotel cards are better if your into weekend getaways. A young traveler backpacking in Europe might not see the utility when the focus is on international flights. 

Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 13 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I guess I'm wondering where are you going to take advantage of that 3x on travel vs. 2x on the CSP.

The 10x through the chase portal buying rental cars I get but you have to spend that out vs. redeeming points.

CSR I think is best if you don't do hotel cards or transfer partners and want to concentrate on the Chase Travel Portal. There are other benefits like lockout service with the CSR but I'd prefer just to keep my AAA card and deal with them instead of Chase. Hotel cards are better if your into weekend getaways. A young traveler backpacking in Europe might not see the utility when the focus is on international flights. 

Some hotels require guests to book directly with them (rather than through a third party like Chase) in order to get the lowest rate, get elite benefits, earn points in the hotel ployalty program, etc.

Some people spend a lot on mass transit, parking, rideshares, or Uber Eats (which Chase treated as "travel" last I checked).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 17
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

Some hotels require guests to book directly with them (rather than through a third party like Chase) in order to get the lowest rate, get elite benefits, earn points in the hotel ployalty program, etc.

Some people spend a lot on mass transit, parking, rideshares, or Uber Eats (which Chase treated as "travel" last I checked).

The idea with the 10x is that by going with Chase Travel Portal that offsets some of the traditional benefits of direct bookings like the free 10th night. Then the points earned within a loyalty program are so much higher with a co-branded hotel card so why not just use that?

CSP might be 2x on transit and parking but its 3x online grocery delivery where CSR is 1x. CSP also has a $50 annual hotel credit with I admit is not of much use if you have a lot of points or free nights. Plus the CSP has the 10% anniversary boost so it makes your dining spend more valuable.

I find that my CSP is a niche card and not a daily driver for me like the CFF that I prefer to keep in the wallet because it also has 3x drugstore and 5x rotator. Its necessary so I can take my Chase points to travel partners. My travel is domestic and I pay it with points. CSR again I think provides more value to an international traveler to rack up savings on flights and use the PP on layovers. When I fly its usually short and direct routes.

Some posters on here feel they need to have the top tier card in any given ecosystem such as AMEX Plat or the CSR whereas the other offerings are small time. When I whip out my bright red Discover card I can tell I get a few snickers but I'm perfectly fine with others thinking I have no money for using it. No reason to present yourself like a baller because people like to stick it to the rich.

Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

It might not be huge, but when I had it, I used it a lot on tolls and parking (and big city parking can really add up!) where the Altitude Reserve couldn't be used, and sometimes for transit which can also be expensive.

But as @wasCB14 said, there are other things that might add to an increased value, such as the protections and Priority Pass.  Obviously each person needs to make there own valuation decision (or, if they are MyFico, skip that and follow the herd, much quicker).  In my case, I downgraded the CSR to a Freedom, as the CSP didn't offer me value at present either.

Message 16 of 17
redpat
Senior Contributor

IMO, no need.....I'm down to the quinella.....

Superfecta - no need either

Pick 6 - no need either

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.