Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase UR Ending Relationship with Korean Air

tag
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Chase UR Ending Relationship with Korean Air

Saw an article in Forbes quoting One Mile at a Time blog saying that Chase and Korean Air are ending their relationship on Aug 25th.

After that date, you supposedly won’t be able to transfer UR points to Korean Air points.

https://onemileatatime.com/ultimate-rewards-transfers-korean-ending/

This will mostly impact folks traveling to Korea and China as KA’s redemption values are much less than others like United.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase UR Ending Relationship with Korean Air

Thats too bad, I was hoping they extend the UR airline network....this is going in the wrong direction lol

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 2 of 32
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Was Korean Air the only UR transfer partner that provided a means of booking Delta flights?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Was Korean Air the only UR transfer partner that provided a means of booking Delta flights?

Think you can still use Air France to book Delta as they’re part of SkyAlliance and they’re still a transfer partner .  No idea how difficult that process is though.  A lot of people used Korean Air to book award tickets to Hawaii on Delta or so I have read 

Message 4 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think this is a major hit to UR with people who want to ur to fly J or F to Asia. I was going to use KE as backup plan in case VS fell through with ANA. I really don't know what secondary option is I guess UA but they increased the RT cost in J up to 180k which i don't really like. I am wondering now if i should start to move my spending over to Amex now instead of primarily chase.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 32
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus I agree 100%.  The big hit will be J/F redemptions.  It's sad to see another SkyTeam partner missing from my available options.  FWIW, the best value for Delta award flights flying on DL metal will usually be to transfer to Virgin Atlantic if you're using MRs, URs, TYPs, or Starriott-Carlton Ritzpoints.  But of course with the quirky new Air France and KLM awards, you could find yourself flying business class for 60,000 miles or economy for 215,000 miles; it seems to be totally random, so certainly worth checking out FlyingBlue first!  Also, for Delta it certainly pays to check out the actual cash price of the flight since you may do better booking it through the UR portal for 1.5 cpp, and you'll earn all of the elite-qualifying goodies as well as SkyMiles.

Message 6 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

The last few trips to Asia we did J or F , i don’t want to sound snobbish but i find it difficult to fly economy for a 22+ hour flight. I am not sure at 1.5 cpp i could find anything like i could with KE. KE had a lot more availability than most. I probably would have to bite the bullet and use ual to transfer to either BR or OZ i have done both before in J they are fine.  I have almost no TYP, and only about 70k mr so i can’t really do much with those. This is what happens when you put too many eggs in one basket you get burned. 

I just have to hope VS will have a lot of ana availability when i try and book a flight early next year for Jan 2020 trip. I have heard it can be quite difficult finding availability for the JFK- NRT/HND flight so i am a bit stressed about that. 

Message 7 of 32
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus sorry I should have put some space in my reply.  The DL part (most of my post) was addressing @UpperNwGuy's question about booking DL flights.  I don't think you sound like a snob at all (I wouldn't want to do a trans-Pacific flight from the east coast in Y, either).  In most cases I'd certainly say paying for F/J flights through a portal like UR or Amex Travel is a bad use of points.  I did do pretty well with a one-way J flight on Aeromexico paying with URs, though.

Message 8 of 32
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Think you can still use Air France to book Delta as they’re part of SkyAlliance and they’re still a transfer partner .  No idea how difficult that process is though.  A lot of people used Korean Air to book award tickets to Hawaii on Delta or so I have read 

In my limited experience searching, it's easy to get some Delta routes to appear as AF awards...but I mostly find flights that are cheaper to just book with SkyMiles!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@mongstradamus sorry I should have put some space in my reply.  The DL part (most of my post) was addressing @UpperNwGuy's question about booking DL flights.  I don't think you sound like a snob at all (I wouldn't want to do a trans-Pacific flight from the east coast in Y, either).  In most cases I'd certainly say paying for F/J flights through a portal like UR or Amex Travel is a bad use of points.  I did do pretty well with a one-way J flight on Aeromexico paying with URs, though.

I will just have to see what options are out there. Maybe i will blow all my points if/when SQ releases non stop to Singapore from JFK. It just seems like less options makes me a bit sad. 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.