Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase UR Ending Relationship with Korean Air

tag
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase UR Ending Relationship with Korean Air

So this means my Delta KE redemption in J (the one seat KE released to DL) ATL-ICN-BKK in February may not be a full cabin. It usually never is now that DL operates a midnight flight to Seoul, but February is the tail end of high season to SE Asia.

I can live with that. Sorry....

Message 11 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@mongstradamus sorry I should have put some space in my reply.  The DL part (most of my post) was addressing @UpperNwGuy's question about booking DL flights.  I don't think you sound like a snob at all (I wouldn't want to do a trans-Pacific flight from the east coast in Y, either).  In most cases I'd certainly say paying for F/J flights through a portal like UR or Amex Travel is a bad use of points.  I did do pretty well with a one-way J flight on Aeromexico paying with URs, though.

I will just have to see what options are out there. Maybe i will blow all my points if/when SQ releases non stop to Singapore from JFK. It just seems like less options makes me a bit sad. 

yea. Don't count on ever getting that redemption if you want suites. Its extremely unlikely. I snagged EWR to SIN in J and that was the best I could do. I did get SIN-JFK via FRA in Suites on the way back. Still with less options for people that will mean even more trying to get SQ redemptions and it will become even more difficult. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 32
red259
Super Contributor

Based upon these changes by Chase I think I may stop worrying about 5/24. The only real value I see for Chase URs is Hyatt redemptions. I was keeping a low profile so I could get under 5/24 by Feb and pick up another ink card but now I am thinking that the value is just not there. Probably more worth it to say to hell with Chase and their 5/24 rule and focus instead on picking up other non-chase cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 32
iced
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think this is a major hit to UR with people who want to ur to fly J or F to Asia. I was going to use KE as backup plan in case VS fell through with ANA. I really don't know what secondary option is I guess UA but they increased the RT cost in J up to 180k which i don't really like. I am wondering now if i should start to move my spending over to Amex now instead of primarily chase.

SQ is the top dog airline for J/F TPAC flights. As you yourself state, KE was but a backup plan. UA is also pretty viable - I booked several flights back when it was 150-160k R/T, and to be honest, an extra 20k isn't really all that much more.

If you can consistently spend on 5x stuff for platinum MR, your plan has some merit, but otherwise earning 3x UR on all dining and travel is still going to get you to redemptions faster than 1x MR, even if it's 180k UR vs 90k MR.

On a side note, I've flown ANA J before (ORD-NRT a few times). Not a great J seat, though food was ok. You'll be better off with SQ, DL, UA, or any of a number of other carriers in J.

Message 14 of 32
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@mongstradamus sorry I should have put some space in my reply.  The DL part (most of my post) was addressing @UpperNwGuy's question about booking DL flights.  I don't think you sound like a snob at all (I wouldn't want to do a trans-Pacific flight from the east coast in Y, either).  In most cases I'd certainly say paying for F/J flights through a portal like UR or Amex Travel is a bad use of points.  I did do pretty well with a one-way J flight on Aeromexico paying with URs, though.

Mostly agree - I'd replace "most cases" with "all cases".

If given the choice of wasting 333k URs at 1.5 cpm in their portal for a $5,000 flight or paying $5000 cash, I'd pay the cash every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 333k URs is 2 international J R/T tickets, worth far more than $5,000. Paying the cash for that flight would also net 15k UR (or 25k MR) plus the mileage earned for flying that ticket, which for me would be an additional 35-55k miles on top of the MR/UR accrual, which is enough to put one halfway or more to another J reward.

Message 15 of 32
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iced when you're dealing with $300 one-way J fares, it's not that big of a deal.  Smiley Wink  I only used about 65k URs total for four tickets.

But yeah when I'm doing 6-digit points/miles redemptions I certainly want incredible value.

Message 16 of 32
iced
Valued Contributor

Love to know where you’re finding one way international J for $300 out of BOS.

I can’t even book premium economy R/T to Europe for much less than $2000 and J is usually double that, unless I pick a horrible routing or time in the middle of the week. Even then it’s still almost always $3000+.
Message 17 of 32
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@iced wrote:

I can’t even book premium economy R/T to Europe for much less than $2000 and J is usually double that, unless I pick a horrible routing or time in the middle of the week. Even then it’s still almost always $3000+.

Aeromexico. It's just a BOS-MEX-CUN redeye flight.  But it was actually cheaper than taking a Y flight the next day (which is when we want to arrive).  February school vacation week in Massachusetts doesn't usually make for great deals on airfare, but I bought at soon as they went on sale.  For comparison, those same tickets that were $1203.88 total are now $1263.31 each and even Economy Classic and AM Plus seats are twice as much.

am_bos-cun.png

Here's the AM eTicket Receipt showing my 1E Clase Premier seats for each segment.  Always find it odd that when booking through Amex or Chase there's always a random credit card number that shows for the payment method.

am_booking.png

Message 18 of 32
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@iced wrote:

Aeromexico. It's just a BOS-MEX-CUN redeye flight.  But it was actually cheaper than taking a Y flight the next day (which is when we want to arrive).  February school vacation week in Massachusetts doesn't usually make for great deals on airfare, but I bought at soon as they went on sale.  For comparison, those same tickets that were $1203.88 total are now $1263.31 each and even Economy Classic and AM Plus seats are twice as much.

am_bos-cun.png

Here's the AM eTicket Receipt showing my 1E Clase Premier seats for each segment.  Always find it odd that when booking through Amex or Chase there's always a random credit card number that shows for the payment method.

am_booking.png

My bad on this one. When I say international, I mean transoceanic international - Canada and Mexico are obvious exceptions to the international pricing rules. I treat flights to both the same as I do domestic since they basically are.

Message 19 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@iced wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think this is a major hit to UR with people who want to ur to fly J or F to Asia. I was going to use KE as backup plan in case VS fell through with ANA. I really don't know what secondary option is I guess UA but they increased the RT cost in J up to 180k which i don't really like. I am wondering now if i should start to move my spending over to Amex now instead of primarily chase.

SQ is the top dog airline for J/F TPAC flights. As you yourself state, KE was but a backup plan. UA is also pretty viable - I booked several flights back when it was 150-160k R/T, and to be honest, an extra 20k isn't really all that much more.

If you can consistently spend on 5x stuff for platinum MR, your plan has some merit, but otherwise earning 3x UR on all dining and travel is still going to get you to redemptions faster than 1x MR, even if it's 180k UR vs 90k MR.

On a side note, I've flown ANA J before (ORD-NRT a few times). Not a great J seat, though food was ok. You'll be better off with SQ, DL, UA, or any of a number of other carriers in J.

I have been using EDP as my primary card to get MR but yes its not exactly optimal vs say CSP/CSR/Ink Cash for that matter. 

Right now the plan is still to try and fly ANA via VS miles and backup plan is probably BR via UAL miles. I was hoping to try a different airline on the next trip to ASIA, I have tried CX,OZ, and BR before. I have heard fairly good things about Japanese airlines so i wanted to give them a try.  When I flew OZ and br it was still 160k RT

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.