tag
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: Chase UR Points

@Open123 wrote:

@searchingfor67 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Haven't decided yet, but I'm hoping to build enough points to cover both airfare and hotel...

Nice amount of UR points!  

Are you travelling domestically or international?  For domestic, why not get the SW card for 50K sign up for your airfare; or a hotel card for the stay.  This way, you can use your UR points for bolster where you are short some points.

It will more than likely be somewhere in the Carribean...Haven't really considered a SW card, don't like being fenced it. Besides, I already have 3 Chase cards...

I have the same dilemma with too many Chase cards.  Hard to limit since they've got far and away the most generous signup bonuses and some of the best card features out there.

How about Citi's AA for 100k miles?  If you can absorb the inquiries and accounts, this could provide for your flight.

Agreed! Love Chase's array of cards....Ciit's AA is appealing, but I don't want to add anymore cards to my portfolio right now...

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 11 of 20
LilNYC
New Contributor

Which Citi card has a100,000 miles bonus? I thought it was 30,000 bonus?

OP, I noticed you also have an Amex PRG, do you have a lot of MR points as well?

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 12 of 20
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

OP, I noticed you also have an Amex PRG, do you have a lot of MR points as well?

No, I only have about 15000 MR points...I will be closing this card in November...

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 13 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

Citi has a pair of backdoor linked offers for 50k mile each--one for the Citi Amex and the other for their Citi Visa.

If you use two browsers (IE, Firefox, or Safari) applying for each card (use IE for the Citi Amex and Safari for the Citi Visa) simultaneously, there is a very good chance the Citi computers will approve you for both cards with the bonus codes.  Meet the required spending and receive 50k points + $100 account credit for each card.

If you can absorb the new accounts (and haven't received a Citi card within 61 days), this is the best offer.

PS - This was the original deal a couple of years ago that kicked off the sign up bonus wars.  Citi was offering 100k for each card.  So, people were able to apply for both personal cards for 200k miles, and the business version for another 100k miles 61 days later.  Not bad for 300,000 AA miles! 

Message 14 of 20
LilNYC
New Contributor

Open thanks for the info. Good to know. I got a citi card 4 months ago & was thinking about applying for another but I figured 4 months history with them would be too short. I'm at 43% util on the citi card & 37% overall. Go you think I have a shot?
Also, sorry for steering the convo away from the OP's question.
Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 15 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:
Open thanks for the info. Good to know. I got a citi card 4 months ago & was thinking about applying for another but I figured 4 months history with them would be too short. I'm at 43% util on the citi card & 37% overall. Go you think I have a shot?

With your Ficos, absolutely!

However, before applying, I'd wait until Utility reports at/or around 10% or less, but not 0%.  Citi seems to eschew 0% utility, and prefer to see 5% - 10%.  On the safe side, you can wait until you hit the 6 month barrier. 

This deal should still be around until then.  It's been there for about 12 or 13 months.  Great deal really--100K AA miles with $200 account credit.  Just ensure you have a strategy in place to meet the spending requirements.  They are $3K in 4 months for each.  If you can allocate money that you're already spending along with some "cost effective" spending strategies, this is the best deal, in my view.

Message 16 of 20
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@LilNYC wrote:

With your Ficos, absolutely!

However, before applying, I'd wait until Utility reports at/or around 10% or less, but not 0%.  Citi seems to eschew 0% utility, and prefer to see 5% - 10%.  On the safe side, you can wait until you hit the 6 month barrier. 

This deal should still be around until then.  It's been there for about 12 or 13 months.  Great deal really--100K AA miles with $200 account credit.  Just ensure you have a strategy in place to meet the spending requirements.  They are $3K in 4 months for each.  If you can allocate money that you're already spending along with some "cost effective" spending strategies, this is the best deal, in my view.

Just curious open...What cards you you currently have in your arsenal?

Message 17 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Far too many, and need to purge quite a few of them to simplify things.

Personal, I have the following:  Amex Plat, BCE, SPG, CSP, UA Explorer, Chase SW, Discover, Citi Premiere, Barclay US Air, and HSBC Premier.  

Recently, I've started to purge a few cards to simplify things.  Eventually, by this time next year, I hope to only have at most 3 or 4 personal cards.  Amex and Chase will be amongst them, but I'm not sure how I'll decide the rest.

Message 18 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Personal, I have the following:  Amex Plat, BCE, SPG, CSP, UA Explorer, Chase SW, Discover, Citi Premiere, Barclay US Air, and HSBC Premier.  

Recently, I've started to purge a few cards to simplify things.  Eventually, by this time next year, I hope to only have at most 3 or 4 personal cards.  Amex and Chase will be amongst them, but I'm not sure how I'll decide the rest.

Are there any that you're leaning towards, other than the Ritz Carlton card?

Ideally I'd like 3-4 cards in my wallet as well, and I'm interested to hear your choices and reasoning. My CSP and United MP Club card will be 2 of them, but I'm still undecided as to the other 1-2.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 19 of 20
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@searchingfor67 wrote:

Are there any that you're leaning towards, other than the Ritz Carlton card?

Ideally I'd like 3-4 cards in my wallet as well, and I'm interested to hear your choices and reasoning. My CSP and United MP Club card will be 2 of them, but I'm still undecided as to the other 1-2.

It’s been fun applying for and experiencing all these new cards, but now it’s time to simplify things.  With the novelty of the new hobby wearing off, I’d rather make less effort and just keep 3 or 4 cards.   

After giving it some thought, here’s what I’m leaning towards.

1.  JPM Ritz – Given the amount of Ritz stays in the foreseeable future and some travel benefits that can replace my personal Platinum, getting and keeping this card is a pretty clear choice.  Like the Platinum, this card is only for Ritz stays and Platinum-like travel related benefits.  Until the Ritz rewards become watered down, I think the value of this card’s Ritz perks will be extemporary.  It still surprises me that after all these years of steadfastly resisting; they not only incorporated an awards program, but allow for transfers from an external program such as UR.

2.  SPG – The primary card I use for all non-bonus category domestic spending.  In my estimation, this is Amex’s best product and has one of the best rewards programs in the business.

3.  CSP – Will use for travel, dining, and UR Mall.  I value the bonus spending on this card more given the flexibility of UR points, which can be transferred freely to UA or the Ritz.  Since I’ve gotten so many MR points accrued (will continue to accrue from some business spending), I’ll focus on accruing UR points for the next several years. 

4.  HSBC Premier – I travel to Singapore at least 4 times per year, and maintain a local banking relationship with HSBC there.  The card offers rotating special offers in SE Asia, such as 15% off the dining bill at the Ritz, free green fees at assorted golf courses, and upgrades at the Raffles/Mandarin.  I use this card with those merchants who accept only a card with an EMV pin & chip--there's a always a few of them who will not accept a signature or can't find a pen.

For my MR program, I’ll just open up an Amex business Green (write off the fees) to maintain my full MR status, since I’m not the primary on our business Platinum.

While it was great fun using the Discover for categories, BCE for groceries, the Zync for all the packs, and Citi’s Thank You program with points per miles flown, I can't see myself carrying extra cards for categories where I have minimal spending, such as gas, groceries, movies, and cell phone.  I had a great time learning the nuances of credit ratings, rewards arbitrage and even exploring all these different account websites, but after a couple of years, I’m ready to simplify.  With the novelty wearing, I just can’t see myself continue to be enthused on making the effort to keep track of 10+ cards.

Aside from the 4 I’ve listed, I’m just going to cancel the rest. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.