Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ultimate Rewards United Devaluation possible

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Chase Ultimate Rewards United Devaluation possible

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/01/19/united-airlines-mileage-plus-now-unable-to-book-singapore-airlin...

Wanted to point this out to those in the community that this could become an issue for those with UR points hoping to fly to Asia using United Miles.

I just upgraded my fiancée’s CSP -> CSR to finish building up enough points for a partner J award through United to Asia. If this pans out, I will see it as a huge devaluation and it will cause me to downgrade the CSR to a freedom as soon as the AF posts.

Let’s have some discussion on how you were able to redeem UR points for greater then 2CPP. I’m interested to see how everyone redeems UR points

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Ultimate Rewards United Devaluation possible

That sounds bad but I don't think its really that bad for me since i never really use UAL miles to book either SQ or TG. If i am going to fly SQ i will use their own program which is available on UR,MR , or TYP. I have never found the need to book TG so it probably doesn't affect me as much.

It does stink that a lot of UR partners have been devaluing recently especially the star alliance partners, I have been also unhappy with KE being dropped, adding of jetblue wasn't a real good replacement. I don't know how comfortable I would be going full MR . I will have to see how everything plays out.  

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 12
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

SQ may as well just ditch Star Alliance and join SkyTeam. It seems SQ and UA relationship gets worse as time goes on. Like no decent codeshare feed on the EWR-SIN route.
Message 3 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

To be fair sq doesn’t even have a lot of availability with their own krisflyer miles for ewr-sin

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I redeem all my URs by transferring them to United miles.  I redeem the United miles for trips to Europe on either United or Lufthansa.  No problems with booking either airline when I need it.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't planning on using any of my URs until next year sometime when I travel to Europe, so I won't know anything till then. But since this is only affecting Asia fights, maybe I don't have to worry.

Message 6 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

This is another example of why people should not earn points without specific redemptions in the future in mind. Changes like these can happen suddenly. I rarely book redemptions with united miles and I don't think I have ever used Chase URs towards united. For what it is worth SQ is increasing their redemption costs on their own metal and there is a rumor of an upcoming marriot devaluation. All these things chip away at the value of Chase URs. Between 5/24 & limiting people to signup bonuses once every 48 months or whatever on the sapphire family the ability to earn large point balances via signup bonuses with chase have taken a major hit

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn’t call it devaluation quite yet.
It seems temporary due to backend issues:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/united-temporarily-blocks-award-bookings-on-singapore-thai-tap-air-po...
Message 8 of 12
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/united-temporarily-blocks-award-bookings-on-singapore-thai-tap-air-portugal/

I agree; let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is what United is saying about the situation: “Some partner award tickets are not being confirmed by select airlines’ reservations systems. In order to minimize the impact to customers, we’ve temporarily removed the ability to book on these specific carriers until this is fixed.”

Sounds like a temporary problem rather than a permanent devaluation...time will tell.

Message 9 of 12
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/united-temporarily-blocks-award-bookings-on-singapore-thai-tap-air-portugal/

I agree; let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is what United is saying about the situation: “Some partner award tickets are not being confirmed by select airlines’ reservations systems. In order to minimize the impact to customers, we’ve temporarily removed the ability to book on these specific carriers until this is fixed.”

Sounds like a temporary problem rather than a permanent devaluation...time will tell.

This is why I have the word possible in the subject line. Hopefully it’s only a temporary problem. 

How does everyone here redeem their UR points ? I’m looking for different ideas on how to use the UR points I’m building up 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.