Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorer - Talk me off the ledge

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Chase United Explorer - Talk me off the ledge

Once a week I get snail offers - not preapproved - from Chase on the United MilagePlus Explorer card.  50K bonus miles etc.

I covet this card probably more than AMEX since I'm a heavy United flyer for work and love to rack miles for personal use.  I could use this card to book my work travel and get even more out of the program.  Only problem is I still my derogs I'm working on so not much has changed since my Freedom approval a couple months ago. 

I keep getting these offers every other week and really want to pull the trigger... Yude and others... talk me off the ledge and tell me my CL and offer will be better once I clear my med collections and deal with my 7 yo judgement.

Dang I want this card or the step up of this card. -Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase United Explorer - Talk me off the ledge

WOOOOSAAAHHH WOOOOOSSSAAAHHHH I SHALL NOT GO FOR THIS CARD WHY WHY WHY BARRY DO YOU HAVE TO START THIS THREAD I WAS DOING GOOD WOOOSAAHH UNITED CARD IS THE DEVIL OMG I SHOULD LOG OFF

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

WOOOOSAAAHHH WOOOOOSSSAAAHHHH I SHALL NOT GO FOR THIS CARD WHY WHY WHY BARRY DO YOU HAVE TO START THIS THREAD I WAS DOING GOOD WOOOSAAHH UNITED CARD IS THE DEVIL OMG I SHOULD LOG OFF

Is this your subtle way of telling me to garden until I have my baddies taken care of?

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Message 3 of 16
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@BarryNTexas wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Is this your subtle way of telling me to garden until I have my baddies taken care of?

Yes and also note to myself to torch my rear behind back into the gardenSmiley Wink  

By all means though, you could be approved...but with a limit you might not be happy with.  However  if you get your baddies taken care of,  much higher limit could be waiting for you down the road...is it worth it of you having it right away with potential low limit that you may be disappointed with?   

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 4 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Yude, that's the net of the situation - need a nice large limit like my CitiAAdvantage for starters.  I could have a $6K trip to book so would need that at least in CL.  I bet I could recon and sweet talk a minimum CL with them. My expense payments are fast turn around times so I know I make it work if I had one.  RIght now I'm using an AMEX Corp card and getting no MR, just united miles.

Crap - I'll wait a couple months...

Message 5 of 16
itsmejustin29

Jus do it. You can always recon if denied. 

Message 6 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

How much do you fly United?  Not sure where you redeem award tickets, but TAM (Brazil) and US Airways just left the Star Alliance 3/31/14, limiting some destinations and they devalued those international partner tickets.  If Chase pulls your EX, I think you will have to recon with a 666.  A few years ago I applied with a similar score through a 60k emailed teaser and it was declined.  Reconsideration overturned denial (possibly due to my banking relationship) for $2k limit.  It's on the chopping block this August because I just don't fly United as much as I used to.

Message 7 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

B335is, I fly monthly for work domestically so little to no international at this time.  I would like the perk of a couple passes to lounges that goes with it.  I may be changing jobs so that will also come with international travel which is also making me want this too. 

I'm waiting as I know fixing my reports is the priority now.  Until then I will be also booking some AA travel with my Citi card but I have no status over there.

BTW I get email offers from United daily about signing up for the Chase card, but they are coming from United not Chase.  Not sure which is the best to apply for?

Message 8 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@BarryNTexas wrote:

B335is, I fly monthly for work domestically so little to no international at this time.  I would like the perk of a couple passes to lounges that goes with it.  I may be changing jobs so that will also come with international travel which is also making me want this too. 

I'm waiting as I know fixing my reports is the priority now.  Until then I will be also booking some AA travel with my Citi card but I have no status over there.

BTW I get email offers from United daily about signing up for the Chase card, but they are coming from United not Chase.  Not sure which is the best to apply for?

I was also flying United frequently for work, but after my classification changed I now do zero work related travel.  The passes were a nice bonus, but only 2 per year and I found some of the Clubs outdated and frankly, packed to the gills (I know they have a Club renovation project going though).  Have you looked at the United Club card?  It has a heftier AF, but you earn 50% mileage bonus, if you have Premier status complimentary upgrades on award travel and unrestricted access to the Lounges.

Message 9 of 16
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@BarryNTexas wrote:

I was also flying United frequently for work, but after my classification changed I now do zero work related travel.  The passes were a nice bonus, but only 2 per year and I found some of the Clubs outdated and frankly, packed to the gills (I know they have a Club renovation project going though).  Have you looked at the United Club card?  It has a heftier AF, but you earn 50% mileage bonus, if you have Premier status complimentary upgrades on award travel and unrestricted access to the Lounges.

Is the United Club the $495 annual?  I would really like that the perks that come with it.  Today I have decent status but never get upgraded these days since I think have the flight is full of these card carriers.  I'm ususally number 15 on the board. 

Once I get a few removals on my files I will go for one or the other.  Any others with real life feedback on the two cards would be much appreciated. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.