cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase United Explorer upgrade

krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Chase United Explorer upgrade

This question is for those who have experience with card upgrades at Chase.

I was approved for the United Explorer card in November last year, when Chase let people in who were over 5/24.

I'm now coming up on my 1-year anniversary, and as I live near a United hub (EWR), would prefer the Infinite card that includes access to United lounges. Therefore, I would like to upgrade to that version as soon as I am eligible. (I know the Infinite card has a minimum CL of $15k, but I am already at $17.5K with the Explorer card.)

I was approved for the Explorer card on 11/19/19. When exactly can I call in to Chase to ask for an upgrade?

Once my 12th statement cuts (11/18)?

Exactly 1 year on (11/19)?

A few days after 11/19, or in December?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Remedios

Re: Chase United Explorer upgrade

You can request upgrade after 11/19 

Message 2 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Remi is correct. 

You're also correct about the $15K CL mininum, so you're all set. 

BTW you will get a separate United Club membership card which you'll need in your physical posession, the Lounge Dragons won't accept posession of the CC as an alternative. 

(9/2021)
FICO 8 (EX) 804 (TU) 832 (EQ) 827
FICO 9 (EX) 827 (TU) 826 (EQ) 832

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 17
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Ok, then, I will plan on calling them on the 20th! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 17
Remedios

They aren't open at midnight 

Message 5 of 17
K-in-Boston

@coldfusion wrote:

Remi is correct. 

You're also correct about the $15K CL mininum, so you're all set. 

BTW you will get a separate United Club membership card which you'll need in your physical posession, the Lounge Dragons won't accept posession of the CC as an alternative. 

😯 Spoiler alert; plane wars about to happen...

When my boarding pass is scanned at SkyClub, it immediately just shows that I am eligible for entry.  Check-in process goes: *beep* "Welcome back, Mr. ___________ and thank you for your loyalty [alternately, "...for being a Platinum Medallion" if they're feeling especially talkative].  The WiFi password today is [redacted]." where I then proceed directly to the bar or Starbucks machine.

Sounds like United needs to update their system!  (Although to be fair the last time I used Centurion Club I forgot to grab at least one Platinum card and had to check myself in via Amex app while standing at the check in desk.)

Message 6 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Having been a United Club member for several years, I can assure you that the experience is not worth the extra annual fee unless you are a true road warrior who always flyies United.  I would value a United Club visit at $25 (free house wine, snack food, and a bit more security than the gate area).

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom Unlimited
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Freedom • Chase United MileagePlus • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 17
NoHardLimits
Regular Contributor

At EWR, one of the most important benefits of United Club access is that the Reps there have a lot of authority during irregular operations.  If your flight is cancelled, delayed, or you just want to try to get on an earlier flight, the lounge dragons can be very useful.

September 2021 Snapshot -

Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries:
New Accounts: 2/24, 1/12, 0/6
AAoA: 10 years
AoOA=AoORA: 34 years
AoYA=AoYRA: less than 1 year

Total Credit Card Limits: $355k (includes $42k AU and $32k business)
Utilization: less than 1%

Installment Loans: none open
(all mortgages, auto loans, and student loans FINALLY paid off, though 5 closed tradelines are still reporting)
Message 8 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

At EWR, one of the most important benefits of United Club access is that the Reps there have a lot of authority during irregular operations.  If your flight is cancelled, delayed, or you just want to try to get on an earlier flight, the lounge dragons can be very useful.

And as a non-elite flyer with a majority of my flights on Delta, the Sky Club access on Amex Platinum card is a huge comfort for me for that reason.

Not to say I won't SUB chase elsewhere a bit.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 9 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Having been a United Club member for several years, I can assure you that the experience is not worth the extra annual fee unless you are a true road warrior who always flyies United.  I would value a United Club visit at $25 (free house wine, snack food, and a bit more security than the gate area).

This sounds about right in terms of valuations, especially for domestic US lounges. AA and Delta lounges are a similiar valuation. There can be certain exceptions where one club quality is above average but in the end I would only get it if I was going to have somewhat frequent united flights. I believe some of the United lounges are still closed, so it may not be the best year for this.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.